Thermal window film?

Jason Kew

75,000 miles in so far…
VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi everyone.. Insulation questions..

I sleep out in my van each week and it's cold!

I have a diesel heater planned and have the van well insulated.. but has anyone used convection thermal film on the front and rear side windows?.. if so was it any good and which product did you get

I'm looking at warmth retention rather than cooling

Film just won't cut it. We have always camped all year around. I've just done 10 days in the van inc some -3c nights. I have foil backed bubble wrap cut to size for the side windows, but to be honest I could do with making them double layer. You simply edge them with some aluminium tape for ease, but some people leave the cut sides open and others sew a fabric edging on them. However I am considering swapping out to the quilted window thermal blinds as they offer more insulation. I've tried both internal and external blinds for the windscreen and find external the warmest...but you have to go outside to fit them, they do get wet in rain or dew and they are a nuisance to store (but I've kept a double front seat and they easily fit in there).

Thanks so much for your reply.. that's really helpful.. I had ice on the inside of the side windows this morning, so thought perhaps a film? Then insulated internal covers would do the trick.. so far I has just used thick cotton curtains for the sides.

There are films available on Amazon etc but these seem to need a gap, rather than directly against the glass

The external windscreen cover is definitely a win though!

Back