The Story So Far......

Cherokee

T6 Guru
Well, I'm around 6 months & 4000 miles into ownership. So maybe it's the right time to tell my story so far. Before we start, these are my ramblings and thoughts only. Some of them you may well consider to be daft, incorrect, right-on-the-money, or idiosyncratic. Nevertheless, here goes.

My van was ordered a couple of days before xmas 2017. For delivery mid-march. However, due to a dealer balls-up, it had to be pulled from the line and re-ordered. So arrived mid-April.

Spec is. Panel Van (this is primarily a work van) LWB 150 dsg. With Apple connect & upgraded screen, moon rock upgrade upholstery. Twin passenger seat. Reverse camera, front sensors. Electric sunroof ( I absolutely love this), power close side door, bulkhead omit. 30mm lowered. Glazed tailgate wash/wipe. Power mirrors.And with Devonports (which were chucked in FOC by the dealer for the mess up), and I got to keep the Claytons which I sold for £400.00. Monster front mats. OEM roof rails & bars. Probably some other stuff, which I can't think of right now. Oh, and I got 5 years warranty.

After taking delivery, the van went off to Wessex Vans Poole for some interior (mostly) works. Had a full solid timber bulkhead installed positioned at the front of the rear wheel arches. This gives me 6ft in the cab. Ladder hatch installed in bulkhead for the triple extending ladders when I need them. Fully soundproofed and lined throughout. Swivel seats. Altro floor. Led step light. Matching roof lining installed. And a front splitter. Then I got to work in building my own racking/shelving, to which I matched what WV's had done.

The van drives very well & is really quiet on the move. And I fitted the dust (van to Golf sound) door seals purchased from the t6 shop. A must have.

So we have the background. Now my thoughts. Not in any particular order.

Some really annoying stuff:
1). No 'lights on' / 'fog lights on' indicating lights on dash.
2). The MFD is often slow to show the position of the dsg shift on start up, and as the shift indicator wasn't converted for RHD, it's annoying.
3). The reverse camera can also be somewhat dim-witted and slow to come on. And what's with the grey 'van image' on the screen? It's not needed. Also, why doesn't the reverse camera show moving forward until 5mph is reached. My car does. Or simply be able to switch to camera from the touchscreen.
4).H4 headlights are crap. But I knew that anyway.
5). The accessories menu at the dealers is daft. It's so complicated, the dealer kept messing up. I couldn't order tailgate power latching unless I had ply/rubber floor. So I went without.
Some less annoying stuff:
6). Folding mirrors don't fold in much!
7). Sunglasses holder too small.
8). Builders dash. Though this isn't an issue for me, as I quite like it, and with everything on show, I keep it tidy.
9). However, the dash pockets and cubbies etc are too small to be of much use.
10). Glovebox too small, and no light to it.
11). Cup holders in dash? Not sure I get that. Wouldn't like to spill anything around there.
12). Why does the MFD display show kph?
13). Brake pedal sits too high.
14).Parking brake sits too low. Much prefer a foot operated one on an auto.
15). Stop-start is annoying and dim. A few times it's failed to start upon releasing the brake pedal. Had to shift to park and start.
16). The 'A pillars ' seem very thick. Possible viewing issue at junctions.
17). The a/c ( or is it climate?), is tricky to get just right. Often, too cool or too warm.
18). No red 'door open lights' on front doors. That's just plain tight as it's a safety issue at night.
19). No puddle lights on door mirrors. Again, tight-ar*ed.
20). The position of the heated mirror switch on the mirror nob is hidden. If you go the wrong way, the mirrors fold!
21). Oh, and the tailgate seems to not open fully lately without a bit of a shove to get the last 6 inches fully up. I probably could have worded that a bit better

Other stuff.

Getting between 32-46mpg. I'm pleased with that.
I fitted dash rugs from 'rugs for bugs', silicone door pocket liners and chrome grille upgrade from van style. All nice.

Had the van in for warranty issues. After 400 miles the oil service indicator appeared. I re set it a couple of times, but it came back. The main screen blanked/froze a few times. And the sunroof jammed. Breeze Poole had it for a day. Re set the MFD, found 2 stones in the sunroof well,(?!!!!), cleared thems. And found nothing wrong with info screen. 1 week later, oil service indicator is back on and annoying me, and the info screen drops out now & then. At least the sunroof opens! Can't be bothered to return it at mo, as it's too much hassle. I'll wait till service is due.

Having said all this, I absolutely love the van and it always makes me smile, knowing that it's mine.

And I'd like to take this opportunity to thank all the t6 members on the forum for their helpful advice, tips and general feel-good feeling from being a part of this. Thankyou.

Please feel free to slag me off, pat me on the back, or just ignore me. It doesn't matter!

And if ANY of this has helped any forum members in the slightest way, then it's been worth it.

Good write up... I am 200 miles in on my van!

feel your pain with lights, brake pedal and hand brake.. Had the bulk head out today so I can sit further back, see how that helps.

Great write up, thank you.

Part infuriating and part poorly puppy, I do wonder how mine will turn out when it's finally on the line.. Due there in Week Two, for collection in March it seems, from an October order date. Fingers crossed for perfection, then..!

Gulp..

I love mine to bits but there never worth the cost! There well over priced for what you actually get! But we are all still queuing to get one lol so why would they charge less for more haha

Nice write up @Cherokee.

My front fogs light up down by the switch, but rears light up on my dash.

The speedo can be changed to MPH quite simply with a Carista, as can other really handy settings. You may have a member near you with one, or just buy one for about £15, they are worth having I think. I paid for the years subscription, and i've had my monies worth, changing all the settings on mine, mates, customers, my Golf, my brothers Golf, my wife Mini and even my Motorhome. :thumbsup:

The folding mirrors are more of an issue that they point upwards when folded, thus getting soaked when it rains, to then get covered in dry water marks if you stick on your heated mirrors to dry them. They do look cool when folded though.

I've moaned about the sunglasses holder before, and we must use the same bigger Oakley styles, because other owners say their glasses fit perfectly. Mine is now the handy housing for my garage door remote.

There is a trick with the heating setting, I think it's the direction dial at the 9 o clock position.

I've never noticed the brake peddle issue, but agree an electric handbrake would be far nicer. I haven't seen a foot operated handbrake since I was a mechanic in the 90s, and back then I thought they were daft. Plus they made you jump when you pulled the handle to release them. That idea is a little agricultural for a VW me thinks.

Cup holders are an old moan, and one well deserved. I've had the odd overfilled Latte jet out the top of the cup, mainly because mine is so low and every bump is exaggerated, meaning generous Barista's are not doing you a favour by filling your cup :mad:
If you think the cup holders are daft, try putting a water bottle in your door pocket 'bottle holder' and accelerating, now that's under-engineering at it's manufacturing finest.

Like you, mine is also a work van. It's kitted out pretty much the same as yours, and I'd assume like yours, no kit rattles, and nothing moves. My customers always comment on the van, I am obsessed with it more than any other vehicle I've ever owned, and my wife wants to set it on fire.

However, faults aside, and the odd wifely rant, i'd still buy another one.

Last edited:
Good overview and great that on balance you still love the van.

Re. 15 and stop/start failing to restart; is it possible you could have released your seatbelt and/or opened the door whilst the engine was stopped - this, by design, would force a manual restart?? This is the only time I’ve seen the start engine manually message - caught me out a couple times when queuing to refuel and made worse by the fact it meant I had to reset my Ghost - not done it since I realised what was happening.

Good overview and great that on balance you still love the van.

Re. 15 and stop/start failing to restart; is it possible you could have released your seatbelt and/or opened the door whilst the engine was stopped - this, by design, would force a manual restart?? This is the only time I’ve seen the start engine manually message - caught me out a couple times when queuing to refuel and made worse by the fact it meant I had to reset my Ghost - not done it since I realised what was happening.

Mine does it constantly if I don't automatically switch off the Start/Stop, but only in certain scenarios.

You pull up to a junction or lights etc, it switches off as it should, but at the exact point of it going off, you try to pull off and it seems to get confused, meaning you have to quickly slam into Park, and re-start manually. I'm sure it even tells you on the display to 'Start Manually' Very annoying and quite dangerous. Bring on the time when I can get mine switched off as a default setting!

Mine does it constantly if I don't automatically switch off the Start/Stop, but only in certain scenarios.

You pull up to a junction or lights etc, it switches off as it should, but at the exact point of it going off, you try to pull off and it seems to get confused, meaning you have to quickly slam into Park, and re-start manually. I'm sure it even tells you on the display to 'Start Manually' Very annoying and quite dangerous. Bring on a time when I can get mine switched off as a default setting!
Mine has never done that (nor have the numerous other vehicles I’ve had with stop/start) - agree it’s dangerous in the scenario you describe and a fault that needs sorting.

Mine has never done that (nor have the numerous other vehicles I’ve had with stop/start) - agree it’s dangerous in the scenario you describe and a fault that needs sorting.

Usual story. Mentioned it to VW, they noted it on my paperwork, but as it didn't do it whist they road tested it, no fault found.
You know what it's like with intermittent problems, they never go wrong when the dealers have it.

I’ve often wondered why some people seem to detest and are always talking about disabling stop/start - if more people have this fault then I can understand why - needs sorting.

I’ve often wondered why some people seem to detest and are always talking about disabling stop/start - if more people have this fault then I can understand why - needs sorting.

My personal opinion is it's not safe on an automatic and it's too slow to react on a busy road, hence why i'd opt to have to disabled permanently.

My previous Vivaro was manual, and I never switched off the Start/Stop, because that was a much faster re-start.

I don't dislike the feature, and i'd prefer to have it and use it, but I just feel it's not fast enough in certain road conditions.

I’ve only ever had it on automatics - no issues with slow restarts. However, I do tend to anticipate the lights changing, car in front moving off, etc., and get the engine to restart a bit earlier by slightly releasing the pressure on the brake pedal.

I’ve only ever had it on automatics - no issues with slow restarts. However, I do tend to anticipate the lights changing, car in front moving off, etc., and get the engine to restart a bit earlier by slightly releasing the pressure on the brake pedal.

I rest my case your honour :thumbsup:

I have experienced this a few times and it’s mega annoying, as Dave said you always try and anticipate when your going to move but it’s the random right hand turns through traffic and just as you stop an oncoming car flashes you through and the van decides to not restart ggrrr !!

Nice write up @Cherokee.

My front fogs light up down by the switch, but rears light up on my dash.

The speedo can be changed to MPH quite simply with a Carista, as can other really handy settings. You may have a member near you with one, or just buy one for about £15, they are worth having I think. I paid for the years subscription, and i've had my monies worth, changing all the settings on mine, mates, customers, my Golf, my brothers Golf, my wife Mini and even my Motorhome. :thumbsup:

The folding mirrors are more of an issue that they point upwards when folded, thus getting soaked when it rains, to then get covered in dry water marks if you stick on your heated mirrors to dry them. They do look cool when folded though.

I've moaned about the sunglasses holder before, and we must use the same bigger Oakley styles, because other owners say their glasses fit perfectly. Mine is now the handy housing for my garage door remote.

There is a trick with the heating setting, I think it's the direction dial at the 9 o clock position.

I've never noticed the brake peddle issue, but agree an electric handbrake would be far nicer. I haven't seen a foot operated handbrake since I was a mechanic in the 90s, and back then I thought they were daft. Plus they made you jump when you pulled the handle to release them. That idea is a little agricultural for a VW me thinks.

Cup holders are an old moan, and one well deserved. I've had the odd overfilled Latte jet out the top of the cup, mainly because mine is so low and every bump is exaggerated, meaning generous Barista's are not doing you a favour by filling your cup :mad:
If you think the cup holders are daft, try putting a water bottle in your door pocket 'bottle holder' and accelerating, now that's under-engineering at it's manufacturing finest.

Like you, mine is also a work van. It's kitted out pretty much the same as yours, and I'd assume like yours, no kit rattles, and nothing moves. My customers always comment on the van, I am obsessed with it more than any other vehicle I've ever owned, and my wife wants to set it on fire.

However, faults aside, and the odd wifely rant, i'd still buy another one.
Ta for all your replies here.
On the heating, I have narrowed it down to the 9/10 o’clock position. It’s about as close as it gets I reckon. Mind, I’ve had trouble getting other ‘climate’ vehicles just right.

I don’t use the bottle holders. Infuriating.

Parking brake, I recently owned a 4x4 with a foot operated parking brake. Stamp-on, Stamp-off operation. Weird at first, but actually, very convenient.

Definitely the stop-start has stalled me a few times. And I've not released the seat belt.

Mirrors, yeah powerfold is more of a pose, than anything else.

My van is as tight as a drum, even fully loaded. I don’t get stresssed by rattles. Except...the manual sunroof blind rattled when I first got it, but that’s disappeared now. The only other time is when wifey sits in the middle of the front seat, (she’s pretty small, so it doesn’t really annoy me too much!) I can hear a rattle around the passenger seat belt area. Not sure what it is exactly, and only occurs on this scenario.

And like all (!) on here I do love the van. It’s like part of me now. That may sound sad, but it’s the first van that I’ve owned where I’ve started from scratch and built it around my exact requirements, whether for work or play.

I’ve just ordered a couple more, quite obscure bits for it. If they work out, I’ll post on here. If not, forget that I mentioned it!!

Ta.

I have experienced this a few times and it’s mega annoying, as Dave said you always try and anticipate when your going to move but it’s the random right hand turns through traffic and just as you stop an oncoming car flashes you through and the van decides to not restart ggrrr !!
Yeah, and the guy who’s flashes you to go is thinking (what a right tw*t, he’s stalled it!).

Back