Temporary extra seats in second row in camper conversion.

Samro

VIP Member
T6 Legend
I have a SWB converted kombi with 1+1+1 seats which is a great multipurpose vehicle. The seats are removed regularly to suit my work/family life and I find the arrangement very versatile.

We are excited to have a second vehicle (LWB panel van) turning up in the next 30 days and this will be converted to a camper with pop top, r & r bed with narrow units down the offside on receipt.

My wife is giving me grief as this vehicle replaces a 7 seater car and she is of the opinion that we will occasionally need 2 extra seats.

If I ask the converters to install seat mounts for a nearside and centre seat, I could then grab these seats from our existing van if and when required.

Obviously the r & r bed will never be pulled out when the extra seats are present but I don't know if my suggestion is a practical solution given that there will be a seatbelt on the second row, and seat mounts in the floor which may look ridiculous when the van is in normal operation. )Without the extra seats.)

I am guessing a decent floor mat will solve the seat mount issue, but I wondered if anyone has fitted extra second row seat/s on a camper conversion (with the third row being the r & r bed) and if so do you have any photos or have any comments regarding my plans?

It’s not a camper, but you can see the living space you get, the floor fixings have blanking plates so I can fit my 2+1 back in quite easily at any time.

1243A057-8B07-4BC0-88E3-CA036A28A546.jpeg

I assume that that rug covers the floor fixings? Do you remove the belts when not required or leave them in situ?

Yes, the rug covers the blanks, but you can still feel them underneath. I’d really like to find a rug that properly covers that whole area from back of the front seats to the rock and roll. I leave the belts in all the time, they were quite expensive at the time so I want to keep them.

That's very useful. Thank you.

After receiving your response, I mentioned to my lovely wife that I was going to ask the converters to add the bits and bobs to allow me to transfer two seats from my van.

She looked pleased and said: "That's good, as without that we're unable to have days out with my mum and dad!"

FML!

That's very useful. Thank you.

After receiving your response, I mentioned to my lovely wife that I was going to ask the converters to add the bits and bobs to allow me to transfer two seats from my van.

She looked pleased and said: "That's good, as without that we're unable to have days out with my mum and dad!"

FML!
Hi Samro

Did you get a solution to the temporary seats. We are wanting one extra seat in the SWB for occasional use. I’d be interested to know what you did. Thanks very much

Hi Samro

Did you get a solution to the temporary seats. We are wanting one extra seat in the SWB for occasional use. I’d be interested to know what you did. Thanks very much
I didn't actually do it. I was put off by the holes that I'd have had in the floor when the removable seats were removed. I was convinced they'd be a terrible dirt trap!

Back