Temperamental Boot/tailgate Unlocking

tintim

120,000 miles and still going
T6 Pro
Got a tailgate that is giving me the occasional headache.

I can go weeks without a problem but on some occasions the rear lid will not open. Tailgate button clicks but no servo sound and unlock!? Anyone else experienced this?

Probably need to replace the servo but just interested if anyone else has any suggestions?

Possibly just the switch. VCDS (or OBD11 I believe) could run output test = command the BCM to release the latch. Or just "simply" short the wires across the switch inside tailgate.

Didn't think of running an output test, thanks for the suggestion.

Sorry to dig up an old thread, its more an update on my particular problem.

I managed to loop test the switch/motor and everything works fine. A good squirt of WD40 on the contacts has fixed this problem for me.
Going forward I will be installing a bypass switch so I can unlock from the inside as well :)

Reactions: mmi
Sorry to dig up an old thread, its more an update on my particular problem.

I managed to loop test the switch/motor and everything works fine. A good squirt of WD40 on the contacts has fixed this problem for me.
Going forward I will be installing a bypass switch so I can unlock from the inside as well :)
WD40 does the magic but only short term. Long term, as it is highly aggressive, causes corrosion and most likely the same problem will come back.
My advise is to use WD40 on corroded bolts/nuts only and for any contacts and precision mechanisms use dedicated contact cleaner.

Thanks I'm glad my problem is nothing to do with the motor etc. just grime. I had been living with this for quite a few weeks and was a pain to get to with the three bench kombi seats.
I've installed a bypass switch now, and if and when it happens again I'll use some contact cleaner.

Back