Tech-What has happened to me?

Samro

VIP Member
T6 Legend
I used to be tech savvy.

I had a job that included dealing with ”tech”!

I left that job to buy an engineering company which had a different kind of tech, where I needed to deal with marine engines. All was well for 10 years or so……then in a weekend I realised I had suddenly become a dinosaur!

This started a week ago when my company server melted down properly! This has happened to a lower degree before, but I backup to AWS and can recover my stuff and all has been ok, but this time my server is too old and obsolete to justify new hardware and so I felt I should go down the route of cloud hosting my main software to relieve the stresses of dealing with IT alongside my proper job.
But….. EVERYTHING is totally different and alien to me! Even to the point where I needed Microsoft licences for local pc’s and ended up fu¥*$ng up tremendously and ordering Cloud Hosted Office 365 licences for the stuff I need to run locally! I just wanted 5 pc’s in my office to work with Microsoft Office…… FFS! Still not sorted, as my Microsoft credentials are apparently not for ”business” but for “family”!

To add to my fairly straight forwards problems my phone has sh!t itself for no reason whatsoever and I now need to sort out a restore, which should be simple enough to sort!……. F^*ck me……How can tech be so hopeless? I tried to deal with this simple task and I have an error which according*to my googling can only be fixed by using iTunes on a pc with windows 11.

So, I commandeered my 15 year olds daughters laptop (which was a trial in itself), only to find I restart the machine and it has an hours worth of windows updates to sort out as I installed iTunes.

I write this as I wait for said updates to apply, but omg isn’t life occasionally much harder than it used to be?

Last edited:
Well that ended up being a long night! Found myself asleep at 230 am at the kitchen table, dribbling over my daughters laptop, which was simply displaying the same error message that my pc was showing 4 hours earlier!

So I ended up having to come to an Apple Store this morning, only to find I needed to make an appointment. (Yep “an appointment” to attend a shop! I just wanted to buy a new phone because mine is broken and I cannot be without it because I have work to do!)

Apparently, I could only book an appointment with my iphone, as it needed to be made with an Apple device! (Which was at this point so goosed that it wouldn’t turn on!…… Also, I assume you can only buy an Apple device online if you don’t already have an Apple ID!………Really????)

Luckily a lovely girl at the apple store took pity on me and let me in and asked me to ”sit on a cube” whilst I wait for a “Genius”! (This didn’t cheer me up as I was unsure of what she meant, but fortunately I quickly realised that a “cube” is just a cheap, uncomfortable stool which gives you pins and needles in your feet within 5-10 minutes, but at least I was in the queue for somebody very knowledgable indeed!)

When the “Genius” arrived he was a nice chap and he confirmed that my phone had exceeded his abilities as a “genius” and I had to buy a new phone!

I could go on and on about how frustrating various things have been over this weekend, but all I can say is “F**k you old age” and “F*c* you too Microsoft, Google and Apple!”

Also - “F**k the world for making two factor authentication and constant changing of complex passwords a necessity!”

( I feel better now!)

I only had time to write this post because I am bored wait8ng for my new phone to restore my data from my old phone whilst I sit on this fu**ing cube, unable to feel my legs from the knees down!

****Apologies for the foul language in this post I am having “a time of it”!

BTW- You are not kidding @Ali-G! I am feeling outdated and positively ready for the scrap heap!

Back