Team Peppermint Green

How is everyone finding the power presuming you all have the 84ps engine? Anyone felt the need to remap?

Just put the side windows in today. Just debating on whether it put the barn door windows in or leave them out? What do you guys think?
I think go with barn door windows if your doing mid and rear on the side. If like me you just go for mid windows, you can get away without barn door windows. I quite like the commercial look and also the idea of being able to insulate that area of the panel work. (Saves money on blinds too :) )

Is there restrictors on them? To what mph? 70?
Yep restricted to about 74 on the speedo, I only found out the other day, I’ve been pootling too much trying to get good economy :) I’ll be getting a remap and restrict or removal by Avon tuning once the vw warranty runs out. However I have been pretty surprised, the 84bhp feels ok. It’s slow yeah, but not as slow as I would have thought. @Peppermint_Alison how’d you find it. Of course my van is currently empty and the 5 speed box is quite close ratio, which helps.

These are pics of mine with the glass in now
Yep restricted to about 74 on the speedo, I only found out the other day, I’ve been pootling too much trying to get good economy :) I’ll be getting a remap and restrict or removal by Avon tuning once the vw warranty runs out. However I have been pretty surprised, the 84bhp feels ok. It’s slow yeah, but not as slow as I would have thought. @Peppermint_Alison how’d you find it. Of course my van is currently empty and the 5 speed box is quite close ratio, which helps.
Yeah I agree, sets of alright for a van, once it's got all furniture in etc I bet you will feel it needs some extra pulling power!

PS. Here's pics of mine with full glass in for the guy that was asking previously 20210307_094652.jpg20210307_094719.jpg

The tinted galss really sets it off in my opinion, add to that some gloss black grilles in colour coded bumper and wheels and itll look awesome!

Yeah like u say, throw a load of camper furniture in the back and i think it may suffer. Believe the remap has to be done to suit the 5 speed so gradual power/torque rather than a massive dump on acceleration. Looking at a pendle remap as they seem to be the go to. Think its £500 ish and states 160bhp but dont know whether thats too much for the 5 speed??!!

Yeah like u say, throw a load of camper furniture in the back and i think it may suffer. Believe the remap has to be done to suit the 5 speed so gradual power/torque rather than a massive dump on acceleration. Looking at a pendle remap as they seem to be the go to. Think its £500 ish and states 160bhp but dont know whether thats too much for the 5 speed??!!
I can't remember all the details but there is a place local to me that does them and my bf had his t5 done there and it was great, I think 150bhp rings a bell, but I'm sure it was much cheaper than £500.....I believe it was around £200 bit don't quote me haha!

I can't remember all the details but there is a place local to me that does them and my bf had his t5 done there and it was great, I think 150bhp rings a bell, but I'm sure it was much cheaper than £500.....I believe it was around £200 bit don't quote me haha!
Yeah i think its a bit more expensive now due to the euro6 engine ecu being a bit more complicated but dont quote me on that either!!!
Yeah looking forward to see all these vans develop.

Exactly, its certainly going to need a bit more go when its got everything installed. You're bang on, the diff in the 5 speed is weaker than the 6 speed (as is the clutch) so its important that any remap has a progressive torque map. The Avon Tuning remap takes to 150-160bhp with progressive torque, however for reliability, I may ask them if they can dial it back a touch further when I goes in. 140bhp would be plenty. I think Avon Tuning are similar money to Pendle too, but they're nice and local to me, and I trust them, they've done other VAG group cars I've had.

As I mentioned before I’ve gone for just mid windows, it may not be to everyone’s taste but I like the commercial look, and I do like it dark when I’m trying to sleep :) I’ve also installed a digital rear view, so rear visibility is no problem too. Here’s a couple of pics I just popped outside to take, it gives you an idea on how it looks. I think full windows all round (with a dummy blackout drivers rear, if fitting full height cabinets) or just mid windows are the two best options. I opted for an opening driver side mid, for hob ventilation. I think that’s pretty common A1B70170-9E8B-47D3-A4AB-9B219263A055.jpeg3864D0EC-0171-45E4-8929-01EB6766E9C2.jpeg

Reactions: CAB
Looks great also. Yeah all down to owners preference. Either way i think the colour just works with the tints and stands out. Me and a work colleague are currently converting his white t5 from panel van to camper and im gonna get mine during this to work on both together. Its a bit hairy sawing out the roof and windows but having done them now, they look great.

Looks great also. Yeah all down to owners preference. Either way i think the colour just works with the tints and stands out. Me and a work colleague are currently converting his white t5 from panel van to camper and im gonna get mine during this to work on both together. Its a bit hairy sawing out the roof and windows but having done them now, they look great.
Thanks. The tints are a nice contrast, i'm going for a few other black bits on mine too, which will continue the theme. It is hairy doing the windows. I think its more scary than difficult. Cutting holes in a 2 year old van just feels wrong! :) When doing the windows I opted to use a nibbler which made very light work of cutting out the bulk, but it cant get right to the edge of the double skinned area. The rest I cut out carefully with Left handed offset aviation shears it worked out very tidy.

Didnt watch the transporter hq video on youtube by any chance?? Thts exactly what they use! We are using a jigsaw and j seals so looks decent anyway but think we will try the metal shears and aviation snips on mine

My bf wanted to use the grinder for speed, ( this is his third set off camper windows he's done. But I didn't like the sparks so made him go with the jigsaw ha! We used a hole saw to get the corners nice, then little drills holes all the way round, played join the dots with a Sharpie then he followed that with the jigsaw

Back