Team Banded Brothers.

small question for the already banded 'people', how did they balance the wheels?

since i don't want any ugly pieces of lead on the outside. can they be balanced as an alloy wheel?
that is with stick on lead, on the backside ?

small question for the already banded 'people', how did they balance the wheels?

since i don't want any ugly pieces of lead on the outside. can they be balanced as an alloy wheel?
Yes

Good question.... one that I’ve been wondering about recently!

Anyone that hammers steel wheel weights onto the outside lip of banded steels, or any nice looking steel wheels for that fact, wants a size 9 up their ass. Make that point very obvious to your tyre shop, because they may automatically use knock on weights, and these things are instant rust magnets when they chip or scratch the powder coat.
Balancing wheels is often down to the quality of the tyres, and I've gone from one extreme to the other. My banded 19s running the budget winter tyres needed so many weights, that in places they were doubled up, but the first set of Eagle F1s needed very little. This has always been the case on every set of banded steels I've owned. My current Amaroks on the Goodyear Vectors, doesn't have a single weight on, and that's impressive.

I quick tip when you get your wheels, and before they go off to have tyres fitted, is to go around the inner barrel with a panel wipe. Don't seal or wax your steels until they've had tyres fitted and balanced. The tyre company will wipe a wheel before sticking on a weight, but you will wipe it better.

Whilst we are on the subject of new banded steels, and more so to the guys that are currently dealing through me with the banding.

Brand new Banded steels really do need a sealer or wax applied before fitting. They've had a major modification and this process has a temporary drawback. You will get rust marks dripping from the recess for a week or so. This is all normal and if your wheels are protected, this will wipe off. Its not a permanent issue, but every set I've owned has done this for the first week, then it stops.

If you opt for a Black finish, these come automatically with a nice bead of sealer in the recess, that looks like a factory seal, but the lighter Silvers and Chromes doesn't, simply because you wouldn't be able to match the paint and sealer.
This is pretty obvious, but also bare in mind these wheels don't stand up to being kerbed and then left, like alloys. The first touch on a kerb, and the edge will rust instantly. A tip from a long term steel owner is keep a couple of the boxes these wheels get sent to you in. Duchy can arrange collection and refurbishment of any damaged steels, so you get the colour matched perfectly with the rest of your wheels, but you need them boxed and finding wheel boxes isn't as easy as you'd think.

Regarding balancing - there are often red or yellow dots on the sidewall which are there to help place the tyre on the rim for minimal balance weights. Lots of tyre fitters ignore them and I’m not sure how much difference it actually makes?

Hi when you talk about banded wheels are all four banded or just the rear two. What size tyres fit them ?

Anyone that hammers steel wheel weights onto the outside lip of banded steels, or any nice looking steel wheels for that fact, wants a size 9 up their ass. Make that point very obvious to your tyre shop, because they may automatically use knock on weights, and these things are instant rust magnets when they chip or scratch the powder coat.
Balancing wheels is often down to the quality of the tyres, and I've gone from one extreme to the other. My banded 19s running the budget winter tyres needed so many weights, that in places they were doubled up, but the first set of Eagle F1s needed very little. This has always been the case on every set of banded steels I've owned. My current Amaroks on the Goodyear Vectors, doesn't have a single weight on, and that's impressive.

I quick tip when you get your wheels, and before they go off to have tyres fitted, is to go around the inner barrel with a panel wipe. Don't seal or wax your steels until they've had tyres fitted and balanced. The tyre company will wipe a wheel before sticking on a weight, but you will wipe it better.
I’ll be having Goodyear Eagle F1’s fitted by Oadby Tyres.... they should be used to the routine as you’re a regular customer @Tourershine and @Paynewright.... so hopefully there’ll be no need for the size 9’s!

So when you say the inner barrel, do you mean the whole part where the tyre sits (the part you’ll never see/clean once the tyre is on)?

Back