Tarting Up My Door Mirrors With Carbon Fibre

In cool or colder conditions use a faster hardener. Or use secondary heat (heat gun/lamp etc) to raise the epoxy temperature above the hardener's minimum recommended application temperature as found in the manufacturers data sheet. Mixing (over or under) has an effect on the curing process also, you can also apply direct heat to the mixed parts while still in the pot, after initial mixing, heat direct and stir slowly, this eliminates the micro air pockets you found yourself with.

In cool or colder conditions use a faster hardener. Or use secondary heat (heat gun/lamp etc) to raise the epoxy temperature above the hardener's minimum recommended application temperature as found in the manufacturers data sheet. Mixing (over or under) has an effect on the curing process also, you can also apply direct heat to the mixed parts while still in the pot, after initial mixing, heat direct and stir slowly, this eliminates the micro air pockets you found yourself with.
Thanks, I wish I knew this before I started, but I'll remember for next time :) :thumbsup:

One of them is virtually at a stage where it could be sanded, but the other one (the one I tried to heat in the oven) is still a leathery finish which will not sand as it's still slightly squashy. I've got 2 new blank ones that I've primed and painted and should be ready to go on the van tomorrow night.

A bit orange peely but good enough, just wanted to get the van back to being driveable so these caps are now on, scratched interior plastic trim repaired and resprayed and seat back in.

IMG_5314.jpeg

IMG_6838.jpeg

Back