Tale of Woe - T6.1 Fuel leak

LakesT6

Caravelle Exec 150 DSG
T6 Guru
Had an absolute disaster on Friday whilst travelling back from France. The problems started during the Eurotunnel crossing when the smell of diesel became apparent as it filled the cab.

Stopped at Folkestone services to pop the bonnet and see what was going on, found diesel sprayed all over the left side of the engine, and a disconnected fuel return hose. Called VW Assist, the tech arrived and attempted to reconnect the hose. Access is poor as it’s right under the charge cooler.

A67122DA-439D-460D-9A86-2C1D6E241EA0.jpeg
7AAB3074-DE08-44A0-BEF4-892D8EE127A5.jpeg

Pipe refitted and we set off again. I stopped at Maidstone services to check on things and found the pipe was disconnected again. Called VW assist and another AA tech attended. Tech tried to make the access better by manoeuvring the charge cooler after doing some dismantling.

Set off again with the pipe refitted. Made it to J14 of the M40 when the van cut out and I managed to get it over to the slip road hard shoulder.

The time is now 2.47AM and we’ve been on the road since lunchtime the previous day. Called 999 because we were in a precarious position, the police did a great job and took the rest of the family 20 mins up the road to Hopwood services so that they were safe. I stayed with the van and waited just over 3 hours for the first recovery truck to arrive while the rest of the family set up camp at the services.

DDFEB504-CA9C-409E-9330-E90F3C11F2C2.jpeg

I made it to Hopwood at 0740, the next recovery took us to Charnock Richard, then the final truck took us back to Cumbria.
Arrived home just after 1400.

297D37C2-CA6C-400C-B279-25E4EAA529C8.jpeg

The van is being collected tomorrow to go to the local dealer. I’ve also noticed this morning that the aux belt has legged it. I’ll update in due course.

Last edited:
Jeez that sounds like a nightmare.

Keep us posted.

What a nightmare, glad to see you and the family eventually got home safely. I would be going mental at the VW garage, issues like this should not happen on new vans. Poor form, push for a free service or some other form of compensation.

You're not having much luck with these vans mate. First the EGR on the last van and now this. At least it's diesel and not petrol. It could have been a lot worse!

@Texxaco it’s really poor. The Vel is 16 months old with 13k on the clock.

@Howzat tell me about it mate. Just looking out of the window at the Vel and could quite happily take some petrol to it.

I’ve been messed about all day by VW Assist and wasted a day off work, the van is still on my drive. The recovery company are due in the next 90 mins to take the van to their compound and then take it down to the dealers in the coming days. If anyone out there is considering buying VW Assist, then I wouldn’t bother. They are more than happy to leave you high and dry.

Edit: the recovery company has cancelled the job for today. Very poor customer service from VW Assist.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: CAB
Waved goodbye to the Vel this morning, quite enjoying cruising round in the 6.1 PV that Enterprise have put me in.
Fastest van I’ve ever driven.
C18751BE-19F4-46F1-B4F5-F0801C16B329.jpeg

Last edited:
What a nightmare, glad to see you and the family eventually got home safely. I would be going mental at the VW garage, issues like this should not happen on new vans. Poor form, push for a free service or some other form of compensation.
Surely it’s Vw you would want to be going mental at, rather than the garage.

I’d also be a bit miffed that the first AA tech didn’t put something on the pipe to tighten it, a jubilee clamp / tie or what have you. A lot of the following issues could have been reduced, with a bit of thought in the fact that it’s popped off in the first place.

Surely it’s Vw you would want to be going mental at, rather than the garage.

I’d also be a bit miffed that the first AA tech didn’t put something on the pipe to tighten it, a jubilee clamp / tie or what have you. A lot of the following issues could have been reduced, with a bit of thought in the fact that it’s popped off in the first place.

Absolutely @Phil_j89, no problems with my dealer. The AA techs just wanted to be on their way. The pipe runs to a t piece under the charge cooler assembly. You’ll know more than me anyway :whistle:

Last edited:
Holy crap. From a loose pipe to a possible engine rebuild. You couldn't make it up. Get the lottery on this weekend. You're deffo due a change in fortune.

Back