Taking the T6 for a drive outback.

We have distant relatives all over Oz; they originally went out to farm in 1910 then spread out.
The ones that are still farmers are proper Outback rednecks but lovely people; they are due East of Canberra near a place called Cootamundra (sp?).
Plus some in Coffs Harbour, Newcastle and Sydney.

We have distant relatives all over Oz; they originally went out to farm in 1910 then spread out.
The ones that are still farmers are proper Outback rednecks but lovely people; they are due East of Canberra near a place called Cootamundra (sp?).
Plus some in Coffs Harbour, Newcastle and Sydney.

Cootamundra is in the country but not quite outback. It is still half civilised. :) Out back is more like a 1000km inland on the east coast. I think the saying is out the back of Bourke is outback. Now Coffs Harbour, we had 20 acres there and I nearly retired there and we will go through there on the way home. A great place and a beautiful climate. As of Newcastle and Sydney, just big cities.

Unfortunately or fortunately depending on which way you look at it, my long lost relatives came out from Ireland in the early 1800 involuntary and after 14 years were granted a pardon and settled up in Port Macquarie not far from Newcastle then spread all over Australia from there.

Today we took the T6 now named BoB (Blue on Blue) for a short ride on a Barge across to Magnetic Island where we will stay for a few days. First in line this morning, quick trip across and a bit of an explore around the island that has about 12km of roads, most mad but not all.IMG_1992.jpg IMG_2007.jpg IMG_2014.jpg

Beautiful weather.

I have to say whilst they are two colours id never consider putting together that van is one of my favs as is this thread.

Cootamundra is in the country but not quite outback. It is still half civilised. :) Out back is more like a 1000km inland on the east coast. I think the saying is out the back of Bourke is outback. Now Coffs Harbour, we had 20 acres there and I nearly retired there and we will go through there on the way home. A great place and a beautiful climate. As of Newcastle and Sydney, just big cities.

Unfortunately or fortunately depending on which way you look at it, my long lost relatives came out from Ireland in the early 1800 involuntary and after 14 years were granted a pardon and settled up in Port Macquarie not far from Newcastle then spread all over Australia from there.

Wouldn't surprise me if you knew people we know! Life sounded very harsh in those days.
When I say "near" to Cootamundra, I mean it in the Oz sense. Still a long drive inland. Their "small" farm is 3200 acres!

We loved Coffs too; flipping hot though!

I have to say whilst they are two colours id never consider putting together that van is one of my favs as is this thread.
Pukka, I like restoring cars and the truth is that I had paint left over after I had restored my VW T1 Single Cab Utility so I used it to paint the top half of the T6 the light blue. I am such a car tragic that I have all my cars the same colour. Started with my old ’65 Merc about 20 years ago.

IMG_1055.jpg

IMG_1194.jpg

They are awesome, but as a bigger car fan Im in love with the merc!

Hopefully I will be over in Aus conquering your market so if I get the chance Id love to come and say hello.

We are not far from Melbourne so if you are going to be there would look forward to catching up. Will me back late in Sept.

Pukka, I like restoring cars and the truth is that I had paint left over after I had restored my VW T1 Single Cab Utility so I used it to paint the top half of the T6 the light blue. I am such a car tragic that I have all my cars the same colour. Started with my old ’65 Merc about 20 years ago.

View attachment 10805

View attachment 10806
Jesus, My desks just lifted :eek:
Always wanted a 60s Merc, and also regret ever selling my Splitscreen :(

Maggy Island looks well worth visiting, been up there in Townsville and never got around to getting over there.

Your a lucky man, you have some beautiful gems in that shed, at least you only need one can of touch up paint, great colour

Thanks Guys, I had a collection but she who must be obeyed said enough so I cut back to my two favourites when I retired. I had always liked the Mercedes light blue/dark blue combo so when deciding the colour for the Split VW a few of years ago decided to paint the same colour combination. Over ordered on paint so had about 6 litres left and decided to do a quick tape up and paint top half of the T6 . I had to do the SCA pop top white fibreglass anyway. Initially not so sure against the VW Indian Blue? but have come to like it and agree, I have plenty of touch up paint and a couple of rattle cans of it as well.

14159350_10154409017986753_1113471047_n.jpg

Woke this morning to loud crowing. Someone living nearby has some very fat chickens (Chooks as we call them in Australia) and we had a visit from Mable. Now I wonder where she has laid her eggs so I can make breakfast....

IMG_2038.jpg

Another hard day out hiking. Air Temp 28c Water temp 24c great swimming, no bathers necessary, no one around anyway. Van back on the barge tomorrow to the mainland and off to Airley Beach, about 200km south of Magnetic Island.

IMG_2046.jpg IMG_2041.jpg

We have headed a bit further south and inland a bit into the rain forrest. beautiful and cool, well, in the mid 20’s Celsius with cool nights.

Beautiful Eungella National Park and camped at a spot called Fern Flats. very peaceful, lots of wild life and even some platypus which are rarely seen. A few creek crossings, none very deep.

IMG_2220.jpg

IMG_2223.jpg

IMG_2208.jpg

IMG_2200.jpg

IMG_2196.jpg

IMG_2154.jpg

IMG_2135.jpg

Last edited:
Im loving your beautiful pictures Garry, keep them coming.

:cool::cool::cool:

May I be nosey and ask what you keep in the roof tube? I thought it was a second awning until I saw the last pic.
:geek:

I keep fishing rods and a small $20 two man tent that I can put up on a camp site during the day if I want to use the van to go do some exploring during the day. You often also see it used here in Oz to carry water in with a small tap one end but I don’t like the idea as it puts weight up a bit high for me in a 4motion that I tend to take off road a little bit.

Last edited:
Have to ask... who did your roof?? My OH is desperate for a raising roof with a skylight in it but can't seem to find any in the UK. Wondering i f it belongs to a brand we can maybe get over here too. Thanks.
:)

By the way, loving your pictures. Australia would be like a dream holiday for me (if you could spiderproof everything, I have a bit of a phobia).
:oops:

How have I missed this thread up to now?! Amazing vehicles and pics, makes me wish we had places like these we could explore too

Back