Taking seats apart ...?

Benjaminpalma

So my captains’ seats stink, and a wet scrub and vacuum isn’t shifting the smell. To what extent can these be taken apart?
475BE966-79E6-445D-8635-65A512EFEFAA.jpeg

armrests off....side trims off... back of seat is the clip joint... all the covers come off etc... someones spilt milk on then???

I've seen it done by van sales companies and im very hmmm about it but...

if you can bear to do it... take it out... steam clean the bugger off carefullu...... let it dry well... .... and dont plug a damn thing in till its all bone dry...heated seats, airbag wiring etc...

spray it with loads of upholstery cleaner too...tps do their own vdub one in a spray bottle thats good.

like i say either strip and clean or if brave steam it very gently and let dry.... just keep away from side airbags if any and bits like that...

I used one of those carpet cleaners that squirt liquid in and then suck it out again on the seats, carpets and headlining of my first (non VW) campervan that had been smoked in and smelt bloody vile! Took 3 goes at it with carpet shampoo but it came out and smelt fine afterwards. If you can’t get access to one you can hire them for a day or two.

Be very careful with detergents that may contain salts. A friend of mine took her very smelly car to the valet and they must have filled the car with foam. A few days later there were electrical problems all over. I stripped the indicator stalk switch and found corrosion on the contacts, same on the head light switch and the problems kept on coming.

White vinegar and water equal parts give it a good scrub leave to dry if it still reeks try baking soda loads of it, leave overnight or as long as you can vacuum off.
just try a spot test first make sure it doesn’t damage the seat cover as I don’t wish to be responsible of ruining your seats. Also if you’ve got heated seats I wouldn’t be getting them too wet.
Or just take the seat base out cover off and give it a good clean, this is a t5 but it’s exactly the same on the t6
Good luck ;)

Back