Tailgate Switched Ground

Lee8210

VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Pro
I want to put some lights in the interior panel on the tailgate but I only want them to come on when the tailgate is open, does anyone know where a switched ground wire is?

Is this it F5 Luggage compartment light switch, in rear lid F111 Rear lid contact switch?

Thanks.

I’ve put a switch on the door card, but eventually, I’ll fit a tilt switch which will turn them on and off.

Do you have existing lights that are triggered by the tailgate - if so why not just extend the wiring from there.

Certainly on the T6.1 the thing I am learning is that so much behaviour is triggered by ECU some times it's easier to extend from an existing function rather than looking for the trigger, which might not be quite what you expect from an older non ECU approach.

If not then my suggestion was going to be a tilt switch too, possibly with a second "disable" switch - depending on your van configuration having a tilt switch occasionally flash the lights in the rear on rough ground may not be ideal.

Do you have existing lights that are triggered by the tailgate - if so why not just extend the wiring from there.

Certainly on the T6.1 the thing I am learning is that so much behaviour is triggered by ECU some times it's easier to extend from an existing function rather than looking for the trigger, which might not be quite what you expect from an older non ECU approach.

If not then my suggestion was going to be a tilt switch too, possibly with a second "disable" switch - depending on your van configuration having a tilt switch occasionally flash the lights in the rear on rough ground may not be ideal.
Ours is an ex RAC van so didn't have the original interior lights, they had their own lights installed but that loom is stripped out.
The RAC wiring diagram does show a rear switch but I don't know where it is and can't find anything on the van.

That’s the way I went. I’ll isolate them when driving to stop them flickering. I had a mercury switch from an old Sierra but haven’t been able to find it, so have ordered one from eBay.

These are powered from the leisure circuit.

IMG_3844.jpeg

The RAC wiring had provision for a switch to ground on the tailgate but I couldn't find one.
1690835340392.png

Just be careful it doesnt have any undesired side effects, test thoroughly !

I have found where the rear interior light wires were cut out and taped up when being wired for RAC electrics.
20230801_145059.jpg

Well I think I have done it, I have done a mock up then tested it and everything works as it should when the tailgate is open, closed, locked and unlocked, I have even checked for fault codes etc and nothing has come up.

I am going to locate the relay behind the panel above the ns wheel arch, I have already run wiring into the tailgate from above that point along with some extra wires in case they are needed in the future.

Apart from adding a live feed the rest can all be done within the tailgate and existing wiring.

Back