tailgate - opening from inside?

scotia

Mechanical engineer
VIP Member
T6 Guru
Hi, has anyone done a mod to be able to open the tailgate from inside?

whilst I've been converting the van we've had the panel off so it's been easy and practical to be able to do this...

i would therefore like to do it for when we camp in it!

Anyone done this on the T6? Is there a part number for the handle?

thanks

It's easy enough, the inner handle uses the same two wires that feed the outside handle, just tap into them both and wire a momentary (spring loaded) switch across them
OE switch is quite pricy as its a two parts and there is no illumination feed in the tailgate if the switch wasn't factory fitted so it won't light up anyway

hi there, sorry you've lost me?!
I've just been pulling on the actuator to release the tailgate...

i was thinking i just need the inner handle and eventually a steel rod to pull up on the rocker (which is what i've been doing until now).

i dont see where a switch would come into it? is the opening not a mechanical movement? it looked like it i thought..

Think we have our wires crossed, T6s dont have an interior handle like T5s have they just have a one finger skinny switch to electrically release the tailgate lock (only comes standard on kombis, PVs dont get them unless factory ordered as an extra)
Only thing apart from this is the loop handle for pulling the tailgate down to close it, what do you have on your current setup ?

Ah ok...we have a kombi 2015 but a swiss one so maybe it was an option as we dont have that..

we have the loop handle but no switch.

i was hoping to just fit a grab handle and then diy a yoke to pull the rocker that I've been pulling up to release the tailgate - seems this wont work then?!

would you be able to point me in the direction of the two wires i'd need to tap into? Any problems to do this? i dont have VCDS or really any possibility to find someone near me (garages in switzerland cost a fortune).. so i wont try it if its going to cause problems for the van..

Ok, its pretty straight forward, the interior release does the exact same job as the external handle and they are wired together so all you need to do if buy a momentary switch (one that is spring loaded and doesnt stay on, think doorbell push) and join it into the two wires that feed the external handle, when either switch is operated all it does is join these two cables together which sends a signal to the van to tell the tailgate to release which actuates a small motor and lifts the push rod you mention to release the tailgate lock
You could go down the OEM route and buy the VW switch if that is your preference but form memory its around £30-35 for the switch and trim piece or you can go to your local motor factors/hardware store and buy a switch for a couple pounds/francs

Yes, switch would normally be off and momentarily on when pressed, commonly called 'push to make'
The opposite type of switch that you dont want would be 'push to break'

Thats a good point, but i suppose it depends on the type of switch used
Perhaps a vertical toggle switch would be best suited for this application so it requires to be raised to actuate the door, this would be similar to the OE switch or the switch could be mounted away from the tailgate, i know some conversions have them higher on the side wall so access is not blocked by a bed or similar in the rear

Hi All,
I want to fit this switch:
DSCN4758.JPG
to my California then connect it in parallel to the outside handle switch so tailgate can be opened from my bed. Will that work and where can I find the part number?

Cheers

Seb

Yes it will work, @Pauly may be able to provide a part number, personally I just used a push button I had in the garage and tapped in to the existing switch cabling
B0704A51-3788-42A3-B6C4-C9B53C13752A.jpeg

Last edited:
Thank you, that's what I'm planning to do. I was going to use another switch until I saw this one. I'm hoping this one will perfectly match the grey plastic on the Cali door card and look factory fitted.

To help you to avoid wrong colour here are part numbers for a factory fitted black switch ;) from a panel van:
Switch 7E5959551 (black)
Frame 7E0858099 (black)
Tailgate_switch_black_2.jpg
The OEM switch has 180 ohm resistor built in between pins 1 and 4 (switch doesn't short circuit but 180 ohms) but anything less than 370 ohms seemed to work.

In my panel van the switch was active (to open the tailgate) only when doors were unlocked as it seemed to be just parallel to outside switch. Couldn't open it if doors were locked by remote. I didn't verify it it was different if locked from drivers door :unsure:.

Thank you mmi, that's very useful to know. Not sure why they have a resistor but will check the outside handle switch once the card is off to see if that also uses one. Starting to wonder if my quest for OEM perfection might be a lot much effort as would need to also find suitable pre wired plug too.

@Skewif, glad to see that you have found your way to this forum. You will get all the help you need from other members here.

Rod

The OEM switch is pretty easy to install as it simply connects onto the wires for the outside handle (passing through the child lock switch also if you wish to fit one) the only issue is button illumination as there is no ambient lighting feed in the rear to power the button light
If you get stuck with the connector give me a shout I can supply and/or pre wire a connector for you if needed

Reactions: mmi
Back