Tailgate no longer opening from outside

osman

Steve O
VIP Member
T6 Guru
Just had this I’ve had it before for very short periods but this now seems permanent … I can open the tailgate from inside ( thank god ! ) as I installed a simple switch a while back but it seems the external switch is malfunctioning… this is coincidentally after having the lower portion of the tailgate re sprayed ! It cost me an arm and a leg and now the tailgate won’t open from outside .
Any suggestions ?

Used to have a works mondeo estate which was prone to the micro switch in the boot handle corroding through water ingress....

Inside and outside connect to the same pair of wires so you know the cabling is good, can only be the button/switch in the handle

Check everything including top brake light, external tailgate handle release and all internals. I took mine back to VW while still under warranty and they wanted to charge me nearly £400 to replace all parts which I declined. After investigating the problem myself with a water hose, it was the seal around the external tailgate handle that was leaking and causing the problem. £35 for a new handle, problem solved.

Inside and outside connect to the same pair of wires so you know the cabling is good, can only be the button/switch in the handle
Totally agree .. the handle has been re sprayed along with all lower portions of tailgate a few months ago and I’ve been charged for various seals etc that I don’t have the paperwork for right now but they must have had it apart and back together during the work and it’s only been a noticeable issue since the tailgate was done . As they charged me well over £1000 I’m pretty pissed off

• Wow
Reactions: JOG
Totally agree .. the handle has been re sprayed along with all lower portions of tailgate a few months ago and I’ve been charged for various seals etc that I don’t have the paperwork for right now but they must have had it apart and back together during the work and it’s only been a noticeable issue since the tailgate was done . As they charged me well over £1000 I’m pretty pissed off
Jeez! I’d be miffed too

Check everything including top brake light, external tailgate handle release and all internals. I took mine back to VW while still under warranty and they wanted to charge me nearly £400 to replace all parts which I declined. After investigating the problem myself with a water hose, it was the seal around the external tailgate handle that was leaking and causing the problem. £35 for a new handle, problem solved.
Will check for that thanks

There are two small oval rubber blanking grommets in the bottom of the tailgate.
I have removed these permanently to allow any water to drain out, that may not prevent a corroded switch but it will prevent water collecting.

Not sure if this situation is relevant to yours but my tailgate external handle started playing up and eventually stopped working all together.

It's a 3 month old T6.1 so took it back to VW. Turned out to be a sticking microswitch apparently and they replaced it within half an hour.

Hi all,

My tailgate won't open from either the inside button or the outside handle

Video here >> this is what happens when I pull the internal switch

Any ideas what the issue could be. Demented with this one !?

Thanks, Cal

Hi all,

My tailgate won't open from either the inside button or the outside handle

Video here >> this is what happens when I pull the internal switch

Any ideas what the issue could be. Demented with this one !?

Thanks, Cal
My thought is that it’s jammed shut, or that the latch has had it (because it doesn’t seem to be moving much when pulled on by the actuator). A video from someone with a working tailgate may help confirm or allay that suggestion.

Many thanks indeed - I fear an utter beasting from the local speakership ! Any other Intelligence. appreciated folks

Probably the door handle switch. You can jumper the connector to test if it's the handle switch or not. Once you junper across the connector the actuator will trigger. If this is the case it's a fault with the door handle switch.

This guy shows you how to test it..

Removed rear panel and Bridged small blue plug lifting rod and tailgate opening my question is it the motor or wiring

20211224_142006.jpg

If you bridged the wires on the pug and it opened it's pretty much nailed on to be the release switch.

That looks like what you need. Or try your local dealer.
Removed rear panel and Bridged small blue plug lifting rod and tailgate opening my question is it the motor or wiring

View attachment 139642
Hello bud. Just fitted one of these and wanted to know what the blue plug end did? Having trouble covertimg my old T5 with T6 tailgate.

Hello bud. Just fitted one of these and wanted to know what the blue plug end did? Having trouble covertimg my old T5 with T6 tailgate.
Blue plug goes to handle switch which tells solenoid ( white bit in my photo ) to lift rod opening tailgate, hope that helps

Back