Tailgate Lock Has Died - Open It From Inside ??

Discussion in 'New T6 Forum Members Area' started by jh65, 14 Sep 2019.

1. jh65

jh65 New Member

Map
    Help please?
    I have a Transporter Kombi T6 (March 2018). The tailgate lock has stopped working. When I pull the tailgate handle I hear a short electronic buzz, but it doesn't unlock.

Couple of questions:
    1) Is there a way of opening the tailgate mechanically from the inside (bypassing the electrics) ?

2) I am a tv cameraman and I've put a wooden bulkead behind the middle seats and racked out the rear; there's a very awkward way of accessing the inside of the tailgate lock from the middle, but I can't see my local VW mechanic wanting to crawl through a small tunnel to get at it!
    Do I have to take an axe to the bulkhead to give the mechanic access?!

Many thanks

2. mmi

mmi Senior Member VCDS User VIP Member T6 Guru

Map
    1) Inside at the bottom of tailgate (by the lock mechanism) there is a rubber plug. Behind that there is a lever which releases the latch mechanically.

Pauly likes this.
  3. jh65

jh65 New Member

Map
    Many thanks MMI!
    I've discovered that rubber plug and poked a finger round inside it, but can't find the magic lever. Any thoughts on whether I have to push it lef/right/up/down?
    Thanks

4. mmi

Map
    Just put your finger straight in, it's closer to outer skin. Push down releases.

5. jh65

jh65 New Member

Map
    Hmmm... I found the lever you indicated, but it doesn’t let me press it down. I applied quite a lot of force with the screwdriver but no good.

6. StudleyGlass

StudleyGlass 150 DSG Kombi/Caravelle/Air-ride VCDS User Moderator VIP Member T6 Legend

Map
    Few photos that may help guide you

20180130_152115 (1).jpg

20180130_152137.jpg

20180130_152126.jpg

Pauly likes this.
  7. mmi

Map
    Interesting... mine goes down really easily with just a finger. Perhaps something is broken and preventing also electric opening.:unsure:

8. Ads_Essex

Ads_Essex Local lowlife VIP Member T6 Legend

Map
    Are you pressing down on this metal tab, here?

8D0DF852-43CB-45A9-AE69-4E18C2FFB194.jpeg

9. jh65

jh65 New Member

Map
    Bless you mmi, StudleyGlass, and Ads_Essex for your help.
    Yes that's the lever I was pressing but to no avail.
    So (see photo) I've cut a hole in my bulkhead and I'm off to Citigate Colindale Thursday to give it to a professional!
    bulkhead.JPG

Ads_Essex and mmi like this.
  10. jh65

jh65 New Member

Map
    Postscript:
    Citigate Colindale had to replace a failed part under warranty. They say they didn't need to access the tailgate lock from the inside!

It's occurred to me that 9 months ago I had water sloshing about the inside of the tailgate, due to failed rubber seal round the window. It probably corroded the switch...

mmi likes this.
  11. khalaghoda

khalaghoda New Member

Hi, have you ever found anyone who can ADD an internal switch so that the blasted tailagte can be opened from inside? I know your bulkhead means you open the tailagte from the rear only, but am hoping your exploration might have found an internal switching mechanism that avoids the risible “finger in the hole” workaround I still have to,use. Seems pathetic to me that a cargo vehicle would not have an internal safety release to the tailgate. Whatever happens if you are in the back compartment and wind blows the tailgate shut!

12. jh65

jh65 New Member

Map
    Hello khalaghoda,
    No, 'fraid I didn't come across an option to install an inside switch; sounds like an expensive bespoke 3rd party job!

13. andys

andys Senior Member VIP Member T6 Legend

tailgate - opening from inside?