Tailgate Lock Has Died - Open It From Inside ??

jh65

Help please?
I have a Transporter Kombi T6 (March 2018). The tailgate lock has stopped working. When I pull the tailgate handle I hear a short electronic buzz, but it doesn't unlock.

Couple of questions:
1) Is there a way of opening the tailgate mechanically from the inside (bypassing the electrics) ?

2) I am a tv cameraman and I've put a wooden bulkead behind the middle seats and racked out the rear; there's a very awkward way of accessing the inside of the tailgate lock from the middle, but I can't see my local VW mechanic wanting to crawl through a small tunnel to get at it!
Do I have to take an axe to the bulkhead to give the mechanic access?!

Many thanks

1) Inside at the bottom of tailgate (by the lock mechanism) there is a rubber plug. Behind that there is a lever which releases the latch mechanically.

Many thanks MMI!
I've discovered that rubber plug and poked a finger round inside it, but can't find the magic lever. Any thoughts on whether I have to push it lef/right/up/down?
Thanks

Just put your finger straight in, it's closer to outer skin. Push down releases.

Hmmm... I found the lever you indicated, but it doesn’t let me press it down. I applied quite a lot of force with the screwdriver but no good.

Hmmm... I found the lever you indicated, but it doesn’t let me press it down. I applied quite a lot of force with the screwdriver but no good.
Interesting... mine goes down really easily with just a finger. Perhaps something is broken and preventing also electric opening.:unsure:

Bless you mmi, StudleyGlass, and Ads_Essex for your help.
Yes that's the lever I was pressing but to no avail.
So (see photo) I've cut a hole in my bulkhead and I'm off to Citigate Colindale Thursday to give it to a professional!
bulkhead.JPG

Postscript:
Citigate Colindale had to replace a failed part under warranty. They say they didn't need to access the tailgate lock from the inside!

It's occurred to me that 9 months ago I had water sloshing about the inside of the tailgate, due to failed rubber seal round the window. It probably corroded the switch...

Reactions: mmi
Hi, have you ever found anyone who can ADD an internal switch so that the blasted tailagte can be opened from inside? I know your bulkhead means you open the tailagte from the rear only, but am hoping your exploration might have found an internal switching mechanism that avoids the risible “finger in the hole” workaround I still have to,use. Seems pathetic to me that a cargo vehicle would not have an internal safety release to the tailgate. Whatever happens if you are in the back compartment and wind blows the tailgate shut!

Hello khalaghoda,
No, 'fraid I didn't come across an option to install an inside switch; sounds like an expensive bespoke 3rd party job!

Back