Tailgate Handle - Possible To Remove To Colour Code?

scotia

Mechanical engineer
VIP Member
T6 Guru
I know it must be possible - more of a request for info on how to do it!

Im also at any moment going to be changing the rear bumper for a colour coded one - so i need to do the parking sensors - best to rattle can these?

thanks in advance

External Tilgate handle is bolted on from inside the door. You need to remove the interal trim to get to the inside mechanisms and fixing bolts...

Not sure about painting the PDC sensors...

I think it can be done.... but you need a very thin coat of paint and to have good separation between the sensor center and outer edge..

Heard a lot of stories of sensors not working properly after rattle can painting.

Best get some more information on that before diving in.

Have a quick look at this guy..

i saw this video in my searches...seemed ok as far as i remember.

I've not heard anything with regards to paint on the sensors - afterall vw do it (and all other makes too no?)

Our factory fit sensors are colour coded in the centre and outer ring as shown in the video above.

I rattle canned a set of parking sensors for my wife’s car in 2009, and they’re still perfect. Work fine too.

I am about the remove the rear handle myself and wonder how you got on? I have ingress if water around this and need to investigate.

Hi @Daviesmd i didnt do the tailgate handle in the end - just left it black for the moment.

i did the rear sensors and so far all is ok..

ok great, any chance you have the part number? was it the seal that had gone? strange - never seen that..

Hi I cannot find the part number for this part - it was either the brake in the seal (small tear on an inner rubber line) or the fact it was caked in mud on the inside and this had impacted the seal. It must have been pressure washed in somehow it was that thick.

922AAA1E-B3F8-4234-9403-B12A4A7DB19B.jpeg

strange google isnt throwing anything up for those numbers.. if its not too much trouble @Pauly would you be able to verify? and let me know cost? would be interested if i could do the painting of one off the van and then just do a swap as i dont have a garage..

Ah ok - I gave the replacement a go today - quite simple - unscrew three torq bolts , push a clip through and unplug cable..

View attachment 42663
Hi, I’m gong to wrap the tailgate, handle included. I have a T6 Californië and I’m wondering what I need to remove on the inside of the tailgate? The tailgate is also having a soft close function......

Hi, I’m gong to wrap the tailgate, handle included. I have a T6 Californië and I’m wondering what I need to remove on the inside of the tailgate? The tailgate is also having a soft close function......
If memory serves me correctly, you’ll need to remove the soft-touch button from the inside of the tailgate. The handle is both screwed and taped to the button.

Just check the underside of the button (ie: from the outside) first to make sure I’m not wrong on the removal aspect.

Back