Tailgate Bike Rack Vw Or.....

exactly my point Andy, 3 bikes Im thinking that 1200n isnt enough. Would it be better to get 1500n ???? The old rack was OK with the standard hinges because the bikes are CF anyway. Im just twitchy about 3 bikes on there and the weight of the new rack.

exactly my point Andy, 3 bikes Im thinking that 1200n isnt enough. Would it be better to get 1500n ???? The old rack was OK with the standard hinges because the bikes are CF anyway. Im just twitchy about 3 bikes on there and the weight of the new rack.
I think the official line is that you don't open the tailgate with bikes on it.

We really wanted a rear bike rack to carry 5 bikes and I wanted a spoiler at some point. Spoke to an excellent guy near Portsmouth Who fitted a removable tow bar but it's not a westfalia / fiamma. he advised that they have a maximum downward rating of 100kg. So I went for a tow Trust which carries 120kg with 13 pin adaptor. The bike rack is an Acura Strada 4 bike rack that allows the tailgate to be opened as it slides away from the tailgate whilst fully laden. The towbar fitting included readjusting with the rear sensors and was £600 with the bike rack being about £450. Worked brilliantly going around France. Pics available.

I think the official line is that you don't open the tailgate with bikes on it.
Yes, our intention is of course to avoid opening the tailgate with the bikes on, however sometimes you do unavoidably need to open it to retrieve something and its the prospect of dropping it and it slamming on something, or not being able to support the weight. Im thinking of when you are asked if the gas is off at ports when queuing for the ferry at customs? Its not that Id expect a hinge to support the weight for a prolonged period of time, just a few seconds for a brief inspection. Just trying to make things a bit easier and avoid damage in the long term whilst saving my poor old back :) This year we are taking 3 bikes when normally we only take 2 hence the bike rack upgrade.

The highest value struts will not hold the weight of bikes.......

Also remember, that when no bikes are loaded, you still want to be able to close it! :cautious:

A Cali tailgate is a lot harder to close when the chairs aren't in the rear tailgate storage position. A VW bike rack cant be used in conjunction with a tailgate spoiler either.
Our first van did not have a tow bar so could not fit a sport line spoiler, one reason why we specced one on our current van. We use a tow bar mounted rack which slides and tilts allowing the tailgate to open without removing the bikes, great when the dude at the tunnel/ferry asks if you have gas on board and wants to check its turned off. Also the bikes sit high-up on a VW rack not good for height restricted places like carparks ferries etc.
Hi Mitch,
For the reasons you have described I am looking into getting a tow bar fitted bike rack for 2/3 (non electric) bikes. We have literally just bought a California Ocean. T6. Could you please let me know what model you would recommend/ what you use?
Many thanks.

Back