Tailgate Bike Rack Vw Or.....

Flashollie

University Manager
T6 Pro
So I want to get a tailgate mounted 4 space bike rack. I know to do the gas struts.

Obviously the VW one is very popular. So my question is should I consider anything else? Fiamma or Thule or A N Other.

I'll more than likely be powder coating it black.

VW one for me every time. Although I am convinced its made by Thule (same bike claps, etc.).

Not sure I would powder coat. I think it will look shabby where it clips in and out in no time if painted... assuming you use it! o_O

D.

New shape VW one is excellent bit of kit ! I have still not changed the struts on the tail gate, It stays up what more do we need !!

The up rated struts just compensate for the weight of the rack. It does not hold up the weight of a bike (or bikes).

You should not lift the tailgate with bikes on anyway as it is easy to bend the edge of the tailgate at the side fixing points if you slip and let it all drop!

(As a note, we have the highest rated struts on our van because we also added the Cali tailgate insert for carrying chairs. These need additional weight compensation).

Its expensive! Its a whole new interior insert for the tailgate and includes the LED lights and the rear window blind. Comes with the 2 chairs too. Well over a grand I think .... :whistle:

D.

Its expensive! Its a whole new interior insert for the tailgate and includes the LED lights and the rear window blind. Comes with the 2 chairs too. Well over a grand I think .... :whistle:

D.
Ouch.

A Cali tailgate is a lot harder to close when the chairs aren't in the rear tailgate storage position. A VW bike rack cant be used in conjunction with a tailgate spoiler either.
Our first van did not have a tow bar so could not fit a sport line spoiler, one reason why we specced one on our current van. We use a tow bar mounted rack which slides and tilts allowing the tailgate to open without removing the bikes, great when the dude at the tunnel/ferry asks if you have gas on board and wants to check its turned off. Also the bikes sit high-up on a VW rack not good for height restricted places like carparks ferries etc.

Good valid points there. But I like the robust security of the VW T6 bike rack.

Good valid points there. But I like the robust security of the VW T6 bike rack.

I get that, and your choice, but our tow bar mounted rack is as solid as a rock, locks on, and as mentioned does not stick above the roof line plus I can have a spoiler. what I also don't like is because the bikes protrude on a VW one above the roof line there's excessive drag so using more fuel. I've also seen they can damage the paint on the tailgate edges even with the clear wrap on the areas of the feet. Also if you have a slight bump it will damage the tailgate.
As said everyone has choices but good to be able to decide for ourselves.

We gave up on the idea of a bike rack, mainly due to the weight of a fully loaded cali and adding the weight of 2 electric bikes that far back was likely to be overweight if stopped. so we have made an internal mount option for the couple of occasions we might take the bikes away with us and just replaced Mrs Loz smart with a mini and factory bike rack and will use that to go off on cycling days out.

To be honest the only time we use our bikes is when we go away, the odd time here but always take them to Europe find them invaluable. I used to have a large motorhome with a garage so took my Gilera scooter, plus sometimes a car trailer with either the Westfield or Aygo on it, Id rather have a camper though.

Had my VW rack on permanently for the last two years, no signs of damage to tailgate or loss of mpg, and it still looks like new. :thumbsup:

Had my VW rack on permanently for the last two years, no signs of damage to tailgate or loss of mpg, and it still looks like new.

Exactly my experience. Travelled 17,000 miles with it on and most of the time with 2 bikes which aren't the lightest! :thumbsup:

We are all different, which is good. I know someone who had one which damaged the paint hence my comment. plus opening the tailgate with bikes on is apparently not good. Everyone has an opinion its what works for individuals. I will stick to a tow bar mounted one so a spoiler can be fitted and for the other reasons stated.

Hi Everyone, What gas strut is recommended for a VW rack with 4 bikes on then? Any ideas? I've contacted the local dealer where we have ours serviced and they haven't come back to me yet. Just bought a VW one to replace the one we had before that you can only get 2 bikes on. Genuine VW ones seem much more robust I think!

Hi Everyone, What gas strut is recommended for a VW rack with 4 bikes on then? Any ideas? I've contacted the local dealer where we have ours serviced and they haven't come back to me yet. Just bought a VW one to replace the one we had before that you can only get 2 bikes on. Genuine VW ones seem much more robust I think!
Have a look in the forum shop, there is some in there.

Bear in mind that the struts are to support the weight of the rack only, not the weight of the bikes.

Back