T6 Warranty Question - do mods make it invalid and is it a problem?

Jules

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi T6 Forum

A question if I may. I want to get my new T6 Caravelle lowered with some larger wheels. My local VW dealer has told me that the warranty would be invalid if I did this and so I should take the wheels off when bringing it in for a service. I note that many people are lowering their T's and so there must be a way round this. Or do people just not care and take the chance?

Thoughts please?

Thanks

A dealer will refuse warranty if the problem is as a direct consequence of your modification, for example they will not/cannot refuse to fix a problem with your tailgate because you have fitted large wheels but if the problem is with your shock absorbers and you have fitted wheels and or lowering springs it is highly likely they will refuse it.

Heres some information as it was given to me regarding lowering caravelles, i cannot vouch for the source but believe it to be genuine and true
The information I am passing on to you, is straight from the factory not from VWCVUK. They are aware though, but I don't know if they have communicated it to any or all VWCVUK dealerships; I do know that the Breeze group are fully aware.
I am also aware that some of those VWCVUK dealerships have fitted lowering springs to ACC and or DCC equipped vehicles.
Both ACC and DCC are factory fitted and calibrated to a set ride height with tolerances that allow for the usual driving conditions you or I would expect to experience.
By lowering or raising your T6, both ACC and DCC are taken outside those tolerances and VW will not guarantee the functionality of either ACC or DCC; and in both cases it raises a safety concern.
ACC as you are probably aware can be adjusted for distance, but not height... my guess is lowering would reduce distance and make the lower distance settings available unreliable and potentially dangerous if the driver relies upon them.
DCC although not a concern for you, adjustable for dampening, sport, normal and comfort, but to a fixed height spring; again calibrated with tolerances. Shorten the spring and you could literally pop and shock absorber in a pot hole, bumpy ground etc.
Porsche have a very similar system, but both ACC and DCC are height adjustable. The ACC unit moves with height.
Most of the T6's I have seen images of that have been lowered, do not have the ACC unit in the grill and there are plenty of new/used DCC kits on eBay Germany that have been removed by their owners to facilitate lowering.
As a bit of side information, VW also state lowering springs should not be fitted to T6's with the LED lighting option due to calibration issues with automatic range adjustment and the really cleaver bit, MFD adjustment to drive on the right.
So unless VW put the same system on the T6 that is on the Porsche range or an after market company ( there goes the warranty! ) come up with a fix, it's ACC or DCC or both with factory fitted springs or lose the toys and go low.

That's brilliant @Pauly thanks. It's so bloody confusing it winds me up. The bus looks a bit bland to me without the lowering and wheels and perhaps stupidly, according to this article, I have gone with the LED light option so lowering might not be a good idea. It also mentions the MFD adjustment but I thought these only came on the continent and not on UK T6s. We drive to France a lot so it would make sense to have the MFD (whatever that stands for!). And as a final stupid question, what is ACC and DCC?

Multi Function Display
If you have LED headlights there is a menu option to move them to the side when driving on the continent
Adaptive Cruise Control
Dynamic Chassis Control

Unless you have them fit VW parts like Eibach 30mm lowers.

Multi Function Display
If you have LED headlights there is a menu option to move them to the side when driving on the continent
Adaptive Cruise Control
Dynamic Chassis Control
Move them to the side ?

They will fall on the road :D

The ride height of the van alters significantly when fully laden V unladen, so a sensible drop shouldn't affect LED'S or ACC at all, Lowering springs should be stiffer too, so the overall height difference between a fully laden standard sprung van and a fully laden VW lowered van will be pretty similar.

But if you go really low, then i guess it could have a difference. Best thing you can do with lowering/ alloys etc is to go for VW spec'd items, that way they have to honour the warranty, this is the route i have chosen, especially with buying the extended warranty too :)

Thanks guys. I have the dynamic chassis control and I think the MFD but can't seem to find where to change the lights to continental mode! I've got until Saturday to find it!! I've got the cruise but not sure it's adaptive. I went for the Caravelle Executive, 4motion with pretty much every option in the book. VW Heathrow did me a ridiculous deal so I went for everything!

Gutted I went for the Dynaudio however, as the sound is not that great. I also want to fit a monitor for the kids in the back but apparently I'll need to replace the Discovery Media unit for a different one as it cannot handle a rear monitor! Should have come here before speccing it up pre-purchase!

Deciding on roof bars, side bars, spoilers and wheel options also seems a difficult task!

Thanks for the advice though, it seems that VW items are the way forward!

Remember the only VW spring option is 30mm drop but yours is already dropped 20mm as standard so would only make a 10mm difference

So putting on 20" wheels might just do the job then without having to lower it? I guess if I get the side bars and front (and side?) skirts it might just soften it a little.

I'm also in the same boat !!! T6 caravelle
Do I go for 40mm spring and upgrade shocks or the OEM 30mm spring
Then 19" with 40 profile or 20" 40 profile that rubs on full lock when parking with the 40mm spring ????
I've not slept for two nights ......!!!!
Everybody has different ideas but I want mine to ride nice and have no warranty issues
I wonder if I should of brought a V class !!

I'm also in the same boat !!! T6 caravelle
Do I go for 40mm spring and upgrade shocks or the OEM 30mm spring
Then 19" with 40 profile or 20" 40 profile that rubs on full lock when parking with the 40mm spring ????
I've not slept for two nights ......!!!!
Everybody has different ideas but I want mine to ride nice and have no warranty issues

I have 20's with 275/35 - no rubbing even with a -50mm drop.

There's lots of ideas around the place (too many), but lowering and wheel size is all balance of comfort and looks.

Hi Montecha

I did read that you had customvanz fit your springs and you thought it was a little uncomfortable
That's where I was heading to get my fitted
Have you changed set up or learned to live with it.
I hatted my wife's Mini Cooper 54 plate Due to it being a hard ride
I'm not going to race the caravelle it's a family bus and will only get driven weekends/holidays
It's a shame you can't try before you buy !!

@YESBOY please done swear on the forum and your Wife drove a BMW MINI Cooper I had an original and that was far nicer. ;)
No help with the Vellis as I have a Cali Beach on 18" rims did not fancy going any lager and having lower profile tyres on it, might add its still the std ride hight though I have considered dropping 30mm

Yes that's correct! Customvanz do have some demo vans, I would recommend that you drive one first - they said that the ride is firm like a BMW, but not in my opinion.

I have the -50mm Eibach and Bilstein B8 kit from CV, plus ABT 20' wheels with 275/35 tyres. Unfortunately I do find the ride is too hard. We have a Mini Countryman Cooper S, and the ride is much harder than the Mini - fine on a really smooth road, but unforgiving everywhere else so I'm dodging potholes all the time. I thought it would get better with a full line out, but still disappointed.

I'm looking at two options, go down to 18's or fitting different springs. As the springs are the cheaper option I have bought a set of the rear springs and adjusters from the B14 kit (they use the same damper), so that's first to try, as the -50mm Eibach leave the rear at least 15mm higher than the front, and I'd like to get the van level and see how the Bilstein springs compare, as every one raves about the B14 set up.

If they are good, then I'll replace the struts and springs on the front with the B14 set up. If much the same then the 20's will get replaced with 18's.

As you say would be good to try before you buy, it's costing me a fortune and I'm still not happy :eek:

Back