T6: Tyre pressure monitoring unavailable' / 'ABS controller error (ESC) [Resolved]

JeremyC

Hi, purchased a Highline T6 back in 2016. Sadly it has been an expensive disappointing experience. Will be selling it soon. My main dealer's service is slow. I now have an ABS issue Error messages either approximately state 'Tyre pressure monitoring unavailable' or 'Abs controller error (ESC) I am guessing through reading that it is a speed sensor or the ring. I could swap the sensor myself. Can someone kindly recommend best simple diagnosis device, bearing in mind I won't be using it for long (I hope)
Thanks in anticipation..

did you get this sorted mate. likley the ABS sensor and easy repair, about 50 a corner to do . soory to hear the disappointment as they are great vans. maybe you should have bought mine.. ha ha

My 2016 T6 is showing dash errors - ABS Light, Traction Control Light and Tyre pressure warnings. They tend to dissappear after a wee while and theres no issues with the van. Anyone have any idea? I'm guessing a bad earth.

Generally speed sensors are out in the crap going past, check for:
  • Wiring to the sensor
  • Sensor firmly mounted
  • Crap on the sensor or tone ring

Currently having this on the XC70 which is flicking the ABS warning on and off - MOT next week when I hope it is on the "off" side of the cycle as I'm not going to investigate and fix until I know the old girl doesn't have other economically terminal MOT failures!

Is there a sensor on each wheel? In which case i need to check each one.

Theyre £17 each. May just replace them all.

Will my VCDS tell me which wheel I wonder. I've not checked yet as wifey is in van and she informed me about the error today.

I bought one, just in case. As the fault dissappears after a few moments, I suspect its just dirt or a loose connection.

Hi had the same lights Tuesday. Turned out it was the right rear abs wheel sensor. Once changed all good.

Pulled off a field 3 weeks ago in our T6 2016 and the ABS and Tyre Pressure warning indicators lit up. When I stopped the van to see which tyre was low "Tyre Pressure Unavailable" message appeared. As we were only 21 miles from home, all tyres seemed OK and the warnings were amber we carried on. The warning indicators went out after about 500 yards and have not reappeared since. After scouring Google and talking to a number of car savvy types the conclusion was mud or grass between the sensor and the slotted ring.
Off to Wales next week so fingers crossed.

Pulled off a field 3 weeks ago in our T6 2016 and the ABS and Tyre Pressure warning indicators lit up. When I stopped the van to see which tyre was low "Tyre Pressure Unavailable" message appeared. As we were only 21 miles from home, all tyres seemed OK and the warnings were amber we carried on. The warning indicators went out after about 500 yards and have not reappeared since. After scouring Google and talking to a number of car savvy types the conclusion was mud or grass between the sensor and the slotted ring.
Off to Wales next week so fingers crossed.
It was likely the different wheel speeds as you were getting towed and wheels were intermittently moving at differing speeds due to the mud and wheel slip that triggered the warning. When you check your tyre pressures before your long trip, remember and reset the TPMS.

Sorry my terminology was probably misleading, substitute pulled off with drove off.
The trip to Wales went well with no issues.
Unfortunately, got in the van tonight (week after returning from Wales), the same fault appeared. Tyre pressure unavailable message appeared again.
Checked pressures, all were correct. May need to seek professional to fix the issue.

The tyre pressure isn't directly monitoring the tyres it's using the wheel speed sensors to detect if one wheel is at a slightly different rotational speed to the others, hence it might be deflating.

The issue is most likely around a sensor as they live in a harsh environment. It still might be debris on the sensor or the tone ring it measures or it might be a wiring issue.

Might be useful to get one of the code readers to see if you can which of the wheels seem to be tripping the warning, at least you can then focus checking that one.

Back