T6 or T6.1?

It’s all about personal preference at the end of the day. I looked at the T6.1 for an age before finding the right T6 which I wouldn’t change for a T6.1.

Small things to some people, like the lack of foot rest, DSG Sport mode, comfort dash etc mean a lot to me.

The only thing that I really like about the T6.1 is the virtual dash but then I like my tech.

Hi Guys

I have just sold my 2012 Sportsline , twin sliders, had upgraded head, speakers, leisure battery, golf Mk7 gloss steering wheel, all done by Absolute 5 years ago
Used it for business so Vat registered.

Looking at either a top spec T6 with loads of extras, twin sliders, lowered, wheels ,leather etc
or do I buy a later Highline T6.1 and retro fit what I want?

What would you do. Have around 30ish plus vat so stuck between the two!
Also would you buy a 4 motion?

cheers Paul

So I had a call off the garage I bought my T6 from.
I’ve had it since November, it’s a 2017, kombi with forty winks bed, awning rail , roof bars, insulated and carpeted etc...
they’ve offered me a brand new T6.1 they have just got in, same spec, same bed etc. And they will take back my T6 for Same price I paid.
I’m looking at keeping my van for
A long time and getting out and about touring.
Should I stick with my 42k 2017 T6 (102) or go for the T6.1 (110 business pack) ?
pros and cons of both models please....
thank you

Whether or not you consider the cost to change good value, or necessary is what matters.

I’m thinking about 3 years trouble free driving. And hopefully having more equity in the vehicle in say 10 years time.
Presume it’s nicer to drive also.

I’m thinking about 3 years trouble free driving. And hopefully having more equity in the vehicle in say 10 years time.
As you say, you are back to 3 years warranty and a new van. Effectively you've leased yours for zero for three years! There is always the chance of getting one of the lemons, but personally I would take the chance in your shoes.

As you say, you are back to 3 years warranty and a new van. Effectively you've leased yours for zero for three years! There is always the chance of getting one of the lemons, but personally I would take the chance in your shoes.
One of the lemons?

One of the lemons?
One of the (presumably few) vans that show up on the forum, with owners having nightmares with clutch, EGR, DMF, alignment etc. Reading it all made me nervous before paying for the van, but like most things, you hear about all the problems, but not all of the satisfied owners, so gives a skewed picture.

Yeah pretty much the same with every forum.
if I went new i would hopefully have everything ironed out in the first 3 years.

Reactions: CAB
My advice to you would be drive the T6.1 before you even look at the pro’s and cons. That way you will never have to say “I wish I had/hadn’t etc etc.”

My advice to you would be drive the T6.1 before you even look at the pro’s and cons. That way you will never have to say “I wish I had/hadn’t etc etc.”
Im Planning on doing this on Monday. What’s the drive like btw? Anyone have any comparisons ?

Not a fair comparison I guess but when I was in the market before I bought my Coast I test drove a 102BHP manual T6 conversion and a 150BHP DSG T6.1 caravelle. The difference was huge. There are some great T6's out there though and I think the T6 I drove had no sound deadening and was really base spec.
I love my 6.1, the electronic steering is great and on the odd occasion the crosswind assist has kicked in it was welcome. With a T6.1 you will lose the comfort dash which I really like and the sport mode on DSG (It is on early T6.1's). Good luck mate, I don't think you can wrong with either.

Not a fair comparison I guess but when I was in the market before I bought my Coast I test drove a 102BHP manual T6 conversion and a 150BHP DSG T6.1 caravelle. The difference was huge. There are some great T6's out there though and I think the T6 I drove had no sound deadening and was really base spec.
I love my 6.1, the electronic steering is great and on the odd occasion the crosswind assist has kicked in it was welcome. With a T6.1 you will lose the comfort dash which I really like and the sport mode on DSG (It is on early T6.1's). Good luck mate, I don't think you can wrong with either.
Thank you.
both the T6 I have and the T6.1 are both manuals. Similar spec.
Its a hard choice. I can afford the extra lonely on the T6.1 and it had 11 miles on. Known to
Keep it long term , throw a pop top.

Hope its ok to butt in here,

2 weeks ago moved on my T6 150bhp DSG Caravelle for a T6.1 199Bhp DSG Caravelle and 2 weeks on, I've got some opinions:

Drive is amazingly "softer' not feeling any resistance to what i ask from her, The Drive to Sport on the stick is soft touch and responds remarkably well

I have noticed that the 150BHP used to wheeze slightly when pulling away from lights etc but nothing of the sort with the 199Bhp

Cornering seems more fluid and stable

Lots of extras on the T6.1, blind spot monitoring, lane assist very useful and spot on, drive assist works well, park assist as well

Inside: not so impressed, the T6 had comfort dash and it became very comfortable to get along with, the T6.1 has reverted back to the transporter style dash with open pockets on the top for things to roll about on, no covers, and cup holders on top of the dash at each corner, straight back to looking like a commercial van

T6 had a lovely foot rest for the left foot there is nothing in the T6.1

T6 had discover media plus, with 2 slots for sd cards, 1 for satnav and 1 for media, you were able to upload speed cameras, via the sd card (Thanks @Pauly) also play media files, satnav was very easy to update and of course CarPlay (if connected) you can also zoom in or out and save your choice setting on the map, not on T6.1

T6.1 has discover pro Mib3, with digital dash (almost a grand extra) BUT it is shite, it has the eSim installed for updates and you have absolutely no control over it, you are unable to add POI or speed cameras, You really can't do a thing with it....... Amazingly the satnav screen which doubles over to the digital dash has the ability to show you numerous businesses in your vicinity, via little logos, businesses like Chinese restaurants / take aways, indian Vietnamese italian spanish mcdonalds burger king kfc pizza hut pizza express papa johns, as well as building companies, main dealers for skoda vw mann mini etc etc, and you cannot turn these off, despite there being a function where you can highlight them and allegedly deselect them, no matter what you do, they will not go away, selected or deselcted

A few suggestions have been, use the wireless CarPlay or wired CarPlay and use Waze, but then the digital dash you have paid the extra £££s for is redundant, because it cannot show you what the CarPlay is showing

i have been to 3 different VW centres, and written to VW and nothing, At VW they opened another T6.1 with the same setup and hey presto it did nothing different, there is no way to get rid of these icons, which when you are in a major city like London they are so abundant you can't see anything else, VW's email response was that i go to a dealership and ask them to update the system which i told them i had already done, VW appear to be washing their hands of the matter

Volkswagen UK cannot offer technical support as we are not technically trained and all our technicians are within the Volkswagen Van Centre’s.
If the Van Centre’s are unsure of how to resolve an issue with the vehicle then they can communicate with VW factory
UNQUOTE

I would avoid the Discover Pro Mib3 at all costs until VW have got it sorted, its a great deal of money for something you cannot use, hopefully enough people will complain to them and get thee issues ironed out asap,

It does make me a little mad that i cannot use what I've paid for, think before ordering the Discover Pro Mib3

Hi guys

Cancelled my new van and I am now looking at a second hand transporter either a t6 150 highline tailgate or t6.1 110 highline barn doors, I’m really not sure what to do!
Both don’t have led headlights and seems only t6 can be retrofitted, van will mainly be used for work and downhill biking with the odd few camping trips so mainly city driving and parking around town!
I would appreciate any advice

thanks

150 tailgate for the ease of driving and the shelter.

Swap lights for H7s, easy to do and a big improvement for 150 - 250 quid.

Hope its ok to butt in here,

2 weeks ago moved on my T6 150bhp DSG Caravelle for a T6.1 199Bhp DSG Caravelle and 2 weeks on, I've got some opinions:

Drive is amazingly "softer' not feeling any resistance to what i ask from her, The Drive to Sport on the stick is soft touch and responds remarkably well

I have noticed that the 150BHP used to wheeze slightly when pulling away from lights etc but nothing of the sort with the 199Bhp

Cornering seems more fluid and stable

Lots of extras on the T6.1, blind spot monitoring, lane assist very useful and spot on, drive assist works well, park assist as well

Inside: not so impressed, the T6 had comfort dash and it became very comfortable to get along with, the T6.1 has reverted back to the transporter style dash with open pockets on the top for things to roll about on, no covers, and cup holders on top of the dash at each corner, straight back to looking like a commercial van

T6 had a lovely foot rest for the left foot there is nothing in the T6.1

T6 had discover media plus, with 2 slots for sd cards, 1 for satnav and 1 for media, you were able to upload speed cameras, via the sd card (Thanks @Pauly) also play media files, satnav was very easy to update and of course CarPlay (if connected) you can also zoom in or out and save your choice setting on the map, not on T6.1

T6.1 has discover pro Mib3, with digital dash (almost a grand extra) BUT it is shite, it has the eSim installed for updates and you have absolutely no control over it, you are unable to add POI or speed cameras, You really can't do a thing with it....... Amazingly the satnav screen which doubles over to the digital dash has the ability to show you numerous businesses in your vicinity, via little logos, businesses like Chinese restaurants / take aways, indian Vietnamese italian spanish mcdonalds burger king kfc pizza hut pizza express papa johns, as well as building companies, main dealers for skoda vw mann mini etc etc, and you cannot turn these off, despite there being a function where you can highlight them and allegedly deselect them, no matter what you do, they will not go away, selected or deselcted

A few suggestions have been, use the wireless CarPlay or wired CarPlay and use Waze, but then the digital dash you have paid the extra £££s for is redundant, because it cannot show you what the CarPlay is showing

i have been to 3 different VW centres, and written to VW and nothing, At VW they opened another T6.1 with the same setup and hey presto it did nothing different, there is no way to get rid of these icons, which when you are in a major city like London they are so abundant you can't see anything else, VW's email response was that i go to a dealership and ask them to update the system which i told them i had already done, VW appear to be washing their hands of the matter

Volkswagen UK cannot offer technical support as we are not technically trained and all our technicians are within the Volkswagen Van Centre’s.
If the Van Centre’s are unsure of how to resolve an issue with the vehicle then they can communicate with VW factory
UNQUOTE

I would avoid the Discover Pro Mib3 at all costs until VW have got it sorted, its a great deal of money for something you cannot use, hopefully enough people will complain to them and get thee issues ironed out asap,

It does make me a little mad that i cannot use what I've paid for, think before ordering the Discover Pro Mib3
Hi Andyman,
Just wondering if VW have sorted the issue with your SatNav almost a year on?

Back