T6 or T6.1?

I’ve had a 5.1, 6 and now a 6.1, all Highlines. The biggest thing for me, is the head unit, with the apple car play. Effectively, free sat nav. I run Waze, or apple maps. I love the adaptive cruise, over standard cruise, and the front pdc. It’s a big thumbs up from me:thumbsup:
But you can have all those things on a 6?

Last edited:
Yep, but not as standard, so you’d have to find a used one, that’s had those option ticked.

Yep, but not as standard, so you’d have to find a used one, that’s had those option ticked.
Agreed. But it isn't really a good example of why one is better than the other. A good example would be a feature or improvement that wasn't available on the earlier model.

I think either.. if you can find everything you want in a decent deal (if a good deal on these is a thing) on a used T6 which is a challenge in itself then why not a T6
The T6.1 is the newer version.. I’ve driven both. my T6 is only a year old so didn’t feel much different. did you want to buy new? I’m sure there is a wait on a new one. If you didn’t want to wait then you may just buy one because it’s a T6.1 and again you may have to settle for one without some options you want.

A few weeks before nailing down my budget for my van I took note of all the vans I was potentially interested in and stuck them in a spreadsheet to get an idea of price.

T6 and T6.1 with the same age and miles were the same price. I couldn't see any reason why you would pick a T6, pricing seems to be based on mileage, age and additional spec over the base trim level. The generation of the van doesn't seem to come into it.

So you'd be as well buying a T6.1 for the extras you get built in as standard.

Sooo I've had my 6.1 for a little bit now. But i am having withdrawals from my T6. I much prefer the 6 over the 6.1. It just feels a lot more comfortable and i dont know.. Not sure if its just because its a change or what. But i much prefer driving my 6 which i have been doing. Going to miss my 6 when its gone.

My main question is, is there anyone else that has noticed this going from a 6 > 6.1?

Missing dead pedal make a big difference in comfort. But the steering is a lot nicer on the T6.1.
I’m used to the 6.1 now and prefer the more modern feeling

I think the 6.1 is a big improvement over the 6, in fact the 6.1 seems to be the most noticeable improvement of all the Transporters I’ve owned. That’s obviously my personal opinion but two other friends have said the same thing. I think it’s the electric steering that makes it effortless to drive.

I think the 6.1 is a big improvement over the 6, in fact the 6.1 seems to be the most noticeable improvement of all the Transporters I’ve owned. That’s obviously my personal opinion but two other friends have said the same thing. I think it’s the electric steering that makes it effortless to drive.
Is really is effortless, im not liking it to be honest! I got to get used to it thou.

Missing dead pedal make a big difference in comfort. But the steering is a lot nicer on the T6.1.
I’m used to the 6.1 now and prefer the more modern feeling
This is definitely noticeable. I have no idea why they have done this. It was nice having that space just to put your foot there.

Though I'd just leave you all a quick message and let you all know that the transporter T6.1 has undergone some changes that haven't been passed onto the customers. Those awaiting ordered etc will most likely be effected.

Things I've noticed so far:

Steering wheel center section changed

DSG no longer has a sports mode (gutted about this one)

Automatic gearing ratios has changed (seems slower to respond to me)

Sorry if this is common knowledge. I spoke to my garage and they basically told me that there were a few minor changes from the 2020 to 2021 model.

Though I'd just leave you all a quick message and let you all know that the transporter T6.1 has undergone some changes that haven't been passed onto the customers. Those awaiting ordered etc will most likely be effected.

Things I've noticed so far:

Steering wheel center section changed

DSG no longer has a sports mode (gutted about this one)

Automatic gearing ratios has changed (seems slower to respond to me)

Sorry if this is common knowledge. I spoke to my garage and they basically told me that there were a few minor changes from the 2020 to 2021 model.
Picture of the wheel, you know pics are compulsory on here ;)

Hi rc2727, this is what I found on another forum and posted on the t6.1 build delay thread, I did not know about the steering wheel so a picture would be great thanks.

24 Sep 2020
24 Sep 2020 is what I found on the other forum, it appeared to come from a VW dealer but some things seem strange.

• The DSG gearbox no longer has the 'S' mode (Sport)
  • If you spec the Dynamic Chassis Control option the gearbox response settings can no longer be adjusted
  • The navigation map will now display on the virtual cockpit without having to spec the Discover Media Pro
  • Slight Change to the colour of the Davenport alloys - only visible if side to side with old ones
  • Slight change to the colour of the Springfield alloys - as above
  • The alarm ultrasonic's are now disabled through the infotainment system or a double press of the lock button on the key, no longer the button on the b pillar
  • Candy white paint is now £250 option
  • Fly screens were originally not available on T6.1 California, they will now be offered as a cost option but i'm told will not be available until build week 48
  • Sports Pack now available which includes - 18" Black Springfield alloys, LED Rear Tail Lights, Front & Rear under body guards, Privacy Glass, Front Fog Lights. (Waiting for some clarification on this as some of this is standard spec)
  • Driver Assistance Package Plus now available which includes - Traffic Sign Recognition, Active Lane Assist, High Beam assist
  • The Glove compartment will no longer offer a cooling function or be flocked

It will soon just be a box that one climbs into with no driver input except destination. then for some unexplained reason that will be denied because you have pasted your quota for a year as it is only possible to visit certain places a limited number times. Should have bought the value pack for unlimited visits £10,000, cheaper than extending it later £15,000 . Can not be fitted to vehicles before certain build date. Now out of stock because of demand!:devil::devil::devil::rofl:

How much difference did the 'S' mode make? Was it a case of the box staying in a gear longer before shifting?

Back