T6 or T6.1?

Ah OK. Shame that the option has been removed as it sounded useful. I wonder what their rational was?

How much difference did the 'S' mode make? Was it a case of the box staying in a gear longer before shifting?
Drive shifts up sooner and hold on to a higher gear, sports shifts later. shifts down sooner. I alternate. usually start off in drive to heat the engine then shift to sport. Will use the paddles for bends or descents what ever selected. That can be problematic though on twisty roads because once using the paddles it hangs on to the selected gear for very much long that is ideal and if going around long bends one either just has to accept it and wait for it to get fed up and change or guess where the paddle is. I refuse to drive like the top gear team because one can not react to sudden skids when the arms or twisted around like a cork screw. Best then, is to shift into manual and use the stick by prodding. Another trick is to shift between drive and sport and back this clears the paddle shift command timer. If one elects to use the paddles the box holds on to the gear selected which is good for decents. It will not normally allow over revving. It appears to operate on a timer or distance or some other predetermined what ever. It occasionally goes back from hold when you least want it too so you then need to knock it back down or up depending.

In the market for my first Transporter Kombi. Was initially looking to go down the T6.1 route with a nearly new model less than 12 months old rather than brand new. Prices are high (obviously) and there aren't many around already converted (lowered, carpet lining etc.). However whilst looking I have found a 19 reg T6 that ticks all of my spec boxes and has had a good conversation on it.

For those that have had both the T6 and T6.1 what are the pros/cons? Apart from the front end, dash and steering are there any other material differences to consider? Whilst the new dash is nice, the T6 I am looking at has the full comfort dash so the storage etc is so much better.

Give me some food for thought people!

The Steering on the 6.1 is electrical rather than Hydraulic....Some have found the door speakers are smaller on 6.1 and other various changes like door cards are plastic...
but I’ve driven the 6.1 as a loan and couldn’t wait to get my 6 back....l ❤ My comfort dash and sunroof and although I’m warming to the front end on the 6.1...just hate that lump on the roof...but as with all Transporters it’s personal... happy hunting :)

ps....I’m not trade and not a fan of the drink holders on 6.1

In the market for my first Transporter Kombi. Was initially looking to go down the T6.1 route with a nearly new model less than 12 months old rather than brand new. Prices are high (obviously) and there aren't many around already converted (lowered, carpet lining etc.). However whilst looking I have found a 19 reg T6 that ticks all of my spec boxes and has had a good conversation on it.

For those that have had both the T6 and T6.1 what are the pros/cons? Apart from the front end, dash and steering are there any other material differences to consider? Whilst the new dash is nice, the T6 I am looking at has the full comfort dash so the storage etc is so much better.

Sounds like you've done your leg work already. The T6.1 includes a few options as standard that are additional to the T6 but overall its a incremental change.

If you want a T6.1 then you'll be looking at a newer and slightly more expensive van (19 plate vs. a 69 plate) - i would say it boils down to budget. When i was shopping for mine, I wanted nearly new and there was no difference to be found between a T6 and T6.1, dealers were charging based on age and mileage rather than version so I didn't see much point in buying a T6.

If the T6 ticks all the boxes, you'll save money on a 19 plate and the T6.1 doesn't bring a massive amount to the table to warrant spending more I'd say.

Drive shifts up sooner and hold on to a higher gear, sports shifts later. shifts down sooner. I alternate. usually start off in drive to heat the engine then shift to sport. Will use the paddles for bends or descents what ever selected. That can be problematic though on twisty roads because once using the paddles it hangs on to the selected gear for very much long that is ideal and if going around long bends one either just has to accept it and wait for it to get fed up and change or guess where the paddle is. I refuse to drive like the top gear team because one can not react to sudden skids when the arms or twisted around like a cork screw. Best then, is to shift into manual and use the stick by prodding. Another trick is to shift between drive and sport and back this clears the paddle shift command timer. If one elects to use the paddles the box holds on to the gear selected which is good for decents. It will not normally allow over revving. It appears to operate on a timer or distance or some other predetermined what ever. It occasionally goes back from hold when you least want it too so you then need to knock it back down or up depending.

can you not use the tip function for that instead

Good afternoon,i am new on here and new to buying a transporter.I have decided to get rid of the car and my old van and combine both in the shape of a transporter.
So after loads of telephone calls to various companies I headed out to have a good look around the VW garage with intention of getting a used T6 but only a year or two old,turns out it wont cost a great deal more(finance monthly for the 6.1.
I know it looks cosmetically different to the T6 and engine slightly bigger with the 110 but can any die hard transporter fans share any light on their knowledge as new doesn't always mean better.
I am looking at the t28 for my fishing and everyday use so wont be converting.
Many thanks in advance

If the difference to buy a T6.1 isn't too much more, I'd get the 6.1 purely for depreciation. The 6.1 will hold it's value better than the 6.

I sold my T6 last year and recently got a T6.1, there isn't a huge amount of difference so it will come down to the price/ spec you want.

The foot rest is such a minor change but it does make a real difference. I also feel the electronic steering lacks feel- I think it needs to be a bit heavier like the T6.

With each iteration of the transporter there is more and more need for recycled materials and saving weight (economy) and this does mean the interiors can feel flimsy/scratchy plastics. Its the same across all manufacturers, I "think" my T6 was a bit tougher than the 6.1

Ultimately you just need to take both models out and see what you prefer!

Reactions: Jlo
Does anyone think there will there be any difference between 199ps and forthcoming change back to 204ps

Footrest has surely got to be a small mod that can be done given how much modding happens to these vans?
Anyone want to knock one up? Sounds like there is a market
I went for a 6.1 as spent too long looking for a used one to the spec and colour I wanted. Also no MOT for 3 years, walk into stealership with any issues (with appropriate PPE on!) and service plan

I’ve just bought a used very low miles T6 Caravelle, coming from a 2015 T5 calli beach I’ve always admired the dash in the ocean, so when I saw the layout in the 6.1 I was a tad perplexed.
I set about looking for top spec T6 Kombi with LEDs, heated seats, comfort dash, 204 and DSG.

in the end a dealer invited me to make an offer on a Caravelle that he couldn’t sell. I got a whopping £10k off list price a week before Xmas so I was extatic ! I’m happy with the Velle I’m really happy with the comfort dash and the jump from the 150 dsg to a 204 dsg is night and day.

I did have a T6 for a few days as the dealer sold my calli from under my back side and after 4 days of pottering about and then getting into the T6 with comfort dash was for me step up ? The Velle dash layout and Alcantara I think added to this though ?

I currently have a t6.1 highline panel Van for the week whilst mines in with VW.

Personally I really dislike it. Yes it's cab area is nicer than the standard t6 but still open pockets everywhere and cup holders in the dash.

It really feels like a work van plastic and tinny.

Can't wait to get mine back with the comfort dash to look at.Probably the best upgrade I ordered when new.

Nice steering though as mentioned previously.

I have a T6 and I use a T6.1 on quite a few occasions due to various reasons.
I prefer the 6.1 dash as it's angled much more towards the driver, the media/info system is a lot better too. sounds like a silly thing but I find the T6 media system awkward to use (angle and reach) after having used a 6.1. I would also add that the kombi 6.1 drove as quietly as my caravelle 6.

Don't get me wrong I'm happy with my 6 but you do notice the improvements in the 6.1 when you go back and forward between them.

I have a T6 and I use a T6.1 on quite a few occasions due to various reasons.
I prefer the 6.1 dash as it's angled much more towards the driver, the media/info system is a lot better too. sounds like a silly thing but I find the T6 media system awkward to use (angle and reach) after having used a 6.1. I would also add that the kombi 6.1 drove as quietly as my caravelle 6.

Don't get me wrong I'm happy with my 6 but you do notice the improvements in the 6.1 when you go back and forward between them.
I agree that the media system is at a silly angle both for the driver and its need for a sun shade!

Back