T6 Insurance After Mods

Just called Direct Line....they won't touch an T6 with modifications...and I only got as far as sidebars and spoilers! Will try Brentacre Monday.

Eh? At renewal I moved to Directline just 4 weeks ago..... they were definately ok with mods including air ride suspension and larger aftermarket alloys!!!!!

I have spoken to two people at Brentacre, both friendly, a bit annoying with the opening times though and the Q&A is the same with any insurance company you speak with on the phone.

Eh? At renewal I moved to Directline just 4 weeks ago..... they were definately ok with mods including air ride suspension and larger aftermarket alloys!!!!!

Hmm...that is weird! Defo what they told me and....they told me that twice. When I phoned Saturday, the women said "oh I see you've had a quote from us recently, but an incomplete one"....turns out I had phoned them Wednesday and got to the same point, modifications, and was told nope. I had just forgot!

So yeah, not sure what that's about then!

Weird..... just checked my policy and there is a modifications section where it lists "suspension -self levelling" and wheels (non standard alloy).

Only thing I can think then, my insurance is in my business name so maybe it's an business policy thing

I'm with Aviva added on roof bars, alloys side rails and a rear spoiler plus No 1 son and my premium increased by £54, not bad I thought.
I can also drive other vehicles third party which is unusual on a business policy.

Certainly think the business element makes a big difference with insurance. Went with Brentacre in the end, just over £1000 with business use but no ncd as it's on the cabrio, and I have an open insurance claim, which had the court decided in my favour would have been reduced by £400!!
I had a premise's administrator let me out of a car park, resulting in a security bollard coming up under my car when she pressed the fob...clearly not my fault so ended up in court on Monday.
I lost legally.
It was determined by the judge after half hours deliberations that I could rely on the admin telling me it was ok to exit, and she was entitled to trust the Ballard would stay down when she pressed her fob. There was a failure in the electronics that she could not foresee. Her company had bi annual inspections carried out of the system, the last being just under 6 months earlier, and this was ruled a reasonable maintenance schedule.
Therefore, although the damage was not my fault, the other side was not liable.
Interesting, no?☹️

image.png Well got my new quote from aviva, which subsequently has gone up from last year by £470 so is now £1500 !!!!
That's for a refrigerated van, with business use, soooo after phoning them to see why I got the response " it's because we look at others around you and the amount of claims in the area ".
I asked if the others in the area where going to be put on my policy !!!!
So phoned around with direct line not insuring any van that's refrigerated, but the Creme de la Creme has got to be ADMIRAL.
This quote is for a 43 year old with 15 years no claims, no points, no convictions on a refrigerated van.....
That's without breakdown or motor legal protection.....
Where do I buy it now !!!!

Last edited:
Certainly think the business element makes a big difference with insurance. Went with Brentacre in the end, just over £1000 with business use but no ncd as it's on the cabrio, and I have an open insurance claim, which had the court decided in my favour would have been reduced by £400!!
I had a premise's administrator let me out of a car park, result................

Bugger mate, that's harsh and very unlucky! :mad:

All I will say is that you only know how good an insurer is when you make a claim. I dont just simply mean the service you get but how well they manage costs.

I have seen a couple of names mentioned who I would never ever be insured by who I have been insured with myself in the past.

Below is an example of a scenario I heard of today

Imagine someone saying you hit them when you didnt, telling your insurer, then your insurer paying out on the claim but they dont tell you and it is only when you come to renew that you find out your premium has increased. There is nothing you can do but pay increased premium until its resolved months down the line by which point they will simply make an adjustment to your premium.

I went to renew my insurance thru my local A Plan branch but when I listed change of wheels to 20” they put me onto their Thatcham branch. They were very good, accepted all mods including those planned during the term of insurance. Under £600, business use, travel abroad....

I went to renew my insurance thru my local A Plan branch but when I listed change of wheels to 20” they put me onto their Thatcham branch. They were very good, accepted all mods including those planned during the term of insurance. Under £600, business use, travel abroad....
That is exactly where my “modified van policy” is through.

My Insurance Fully Comp, 2 Named Drivers, full Protected No Claims £195.00 with the NFU on a 204 Tsi Kombi , now classed as a Motorhome after conversion & V5c change.
I have spoken to them as well about a chip to 300, no problem just a phone call to inform them, probably some more money but hey it sure ain’t expensive.

My Corvette C6 is also only £195.00 full protected No Claims 2 drivers on separate policies.

I had a Hymer 7mtr which was about the same and a friend of mine has a 4x4 Merc Sprinter with the 3.6 ltr engine and again also cheap, they live up North but insure their van where I live but everything is insured through their address, so nothing dodgy

I Found, about 12 years ago, when I had 3 vehicles, someone pulled out and hit one of them. About £500 damage to mine. 3rd party admitted complete liability.
When I went to renew each of the 3 vehicles for the next 3-5 years and they ask "have you ever been involved in an accident, even if no-fault" and I responded yes with the details, my insurance <per vehicle> went up by around £80 per year (over 5 years that's £1,200) . I asked one insurance company about why, and they said "you risk profile has increased". This was 120 yards from my own home at the time. I've done between 8,000 and 110,000 miles a year. Hacked me off somewhat.....

Hi Andrew

You beat me too it was thinking about insurance today! I've just spent circa quite ALOT having some mods and the van is insured with Adrian Flux. I've used them on my defender insurance and they are OK. I called them and I need to take photos and send in receipts etc as the van I would like to think is worth more than the panel van I purchased. My policy lets me do the modifications but I'm guessing now premium will go up!

It will be interesting to see what they value the van at as I know what I've spent! ;-)

Kind Regards

Nick
I'm 59 with 9 years no claims , Adrian flux want £505 for my T6 t28 Highline with alloys , coilovers , 2 side windows, electric hook up plus leisure battery and sidebars

Back