T6 Full LED Auto lights on - THRESHOLD

Matty2104

Hi all,
I know I have read about the LED's low beam waking up too soon from DRL somewhere, but I haven't found a solution. So here I am :)

After almost one year with my lovely T6 Caravelle, I still think the low-beam lights start pretty early. I know that in VCDS under Lights they can be set to come up even sooner, but not later. I did this with my Passat B7 with Bi-xenon a long time ago. There was a custom long code that needed to be put into the RLS subunit. But I definitely don't want to try this on Caravelle since they are very different breeds.

Did any of you try this? To belate the low beams to come up later with the dawn? I also hate the lights coming up when I drive under a short bridge and go back to DRL just a few seconds after.

Thank you all for your help.

Matous (CZE)

Hi all,
I know I have read about the LED's low beam waking up too soon from DRL somewhere, but I haven't found a solution. So here I am :)

After almost one year with my lovely T6 Caravelle, I still think the low-beam lights start pretty early. I know that in VCDS under Lights they can be set to come up even sooner, but not later. I did this with my Passat B7 with Bi-xenon a long time ago. There was a custom long code that needed to be put into the RLS subunit. But I definitely don't want to try this on Caravelle since they are very different breeds.

Did any of you try this? To belate the low beams to come up later with the dawn? I also hate the lights coming up when I drive under a short bridge and go back to DRL just a few seconds after.

Thank you all for your help.

Matous (CZE)
Just my opinion, but I’d much rather the lights come on sooner rather than later.

Just my opinion, but I’d much rather the lights come on sooner rather than later.
I understand your statement, but sorry, this was not part of my question. If I feel that conditions are not good for DRL only, I switch the headlight on manually. I do that since I had my first car with DRL. I don't put everything on automatic solutions, but we can (hopefully) agree that they make out rides much more comfortable, right?
Of course I can turn the Auto function off before every bridge, but what would the purpose of having Auto function be at all?
I know this was possible with another BCM based vehicle, so my question stands!

Thanks for your two cents

Maybe you should think about the rules requiring headlights in tunnels in many European countries. That requirement means that they need to be pretty sensitive or you get a fine for driving without the lights on! All our vehicles are manufactured to take account of multi country requirements.

I understand your statement, but sorry, this was not part of my question. If I feel that conditions are not good for DRL only, I switch the headlight on manually. I do that since I had my first car with DRL. I don't put everything on automatic solutions, but we can (hopefully) agree that they make out rides much more comfortable, right?
Of course I can turn the Auto function off before every bridge, but what would the purpose of having Auto function be at all?
I know this was possible with another BCM based vehicle, so my question stands!

Thanks for your two cents
You’re very welcome

Maybe you should think about the rules requiring headlights in tunnels in many European countries. That requirement means that they need to be pretty sensitive or you get a fine for driving without the lights on! All our vehicles are manufactured to take account of multi country requirements.
Yup, we spend a lot of time in mountainous areas, Alps/Spain/northern Italy etc. And the tunnels come in quick succession. The lights are on & off like a bride’s nightie. There are actually signs at the entrance & exit of the tunnels instructing you to turn on/off your lights. I just let them get on with it & do their thing. Which to me is the whole purpose of having auto lights.

The only issue I find with Auto lights is that they don't know when it's foggy. There can be sufficient ambient light for the Auto lights not to switch on, which is why you see so many people in the fog with just DRLs on.

I tend to leave my light switch in the dipped position all the time this time of year anyway. I'm not sure about the T6.1, but you can do it with the T6 as the parking lights only work in the 'side' light switch position or with the indicator stalk activating one or other parking light. One down side of this is you loose the coming home function.

I have auto lights and I keep them turned off, I agree with the OP, the headlights come on far too early.
I went out in my van yesterday, the sun was out and there was a clear blue sky yet the satnav screen was in night mode which means that if I'd had the light switch set to "Auto" the headlights would have been on.
I've had other cars with auto lights in the past and none of them have been as crap as the VW system.
And don't get me started on the instrument lights (or lack of them)

I have auto lights and I keep them turned off, I agree with the OP, the headlights come on far too early.
I went out in my van yesterday, the sun was out and there was a clear blue sky yet the satnav screen was in night mode which means that if I'd had the light switch set to "Auto" the headlights would have been on.
I've had other cars with auto lights in the past and none of them have been as crap as the VW system.
And don't get me started on the instrument lights (or lack of them)
Why would it matter if the lights had come on? If you have the switch in auto you'll get instrument lights even when the lights are off, having it in the off position turns them off as a reminder that they are off.

When I did my advanced, I was told it was good practice to have dipped headlights on when there was low sun behind you. It makes you much more visible to oncoming traffic. The forward facing light sensor and the rear view mirror one (if you have a mirror) talk to each other to work out if the headlights need turning on for that reason.

@Ali-G if you are a HGV driver, have you not got marker lights and LED position lights in your 10 Hella Jumbos and Kelsa bars on all day anyway?

@Ali-G if you are a HGV driver, have you not got marker lights and LED position lights in your 10 Hella Jumbos and Kelsa bars on all day anyway?

No , just the factory DRL's which are nowhere near as bright as the DRL's in the T6 LED headlights.

Thanks for your input. Some of the replies are actually helpful. The thing is, I don't want to get rid of the Auto function. Not at all. I just want to lower the threshold, WHEN they switch from DRL to low beam. I love the Auto feature. Even in my second car, when driving into the tunnel, they are on within a few seconds. It just doesn't make sense to keep them switching because I drive under 20 meter bridge that blocks the light coming on the sensor.

When I did this with by Passat B7 with bi-xenon, it made much more sense not to let the bulbs come on and off constantly.

Thanks for your input. Some of the replies are actually helpful. The thing is, I don't want to get rid of the Auto function. Not at all. I just want to lower the threshold, WHEN they switch from DRL to low beam. I love the Auto feature. Even in my second car, when driving into the tunnel, they are on within a few seconds. It just doesn't make sense to keep them switching because I drive under 20 meter bridge that blocks the light coming on the sensor.

When I did this with by Passat B7 with bi-xenon, it made much more sense not to let the bulbs come on and off constantly.
Bi-xenon & LED are completely different technologies. Bi-xenon need to strike an arc & warm up the gas to create a hot plasma. It isn’t an instant process. Also the bulbs don’t take kindly to constant on/off cycles, they eventually burn out. LED on the other hand are completely suited to rapid cycling & are instantaneous. So that’s maybe why you can’t “de-tune” the LEDs as you could the Bi-xenon’s. The engineers probably looked at the thresholds & decided there was nothing to gain by having the lights come on late. Don’t sweat the little stuff. If that’s the only niggle you have with your van, you’re a lucky man.

I don't think it's a halogen/HID/LED thing.

We had a Mk7 Golf with Halogen, a Mk1 Tiguan with HIDs and currently have a Mk2 Tiguan with LEDs. All three had options in the infotaintent system to select Early, Medium or Late thresholds for the Auto Lights. It's more than likely a software reason why we don't have that option with the vans. Scrolling through VDCS, there are many more things that can be changed with cars than commercials.

My 6.1 does have the option of early medium or late thresholds in the infotainment menu.

The forward facing light sensor and the rear view mirror one (if you have a mirror) talk to each other to work out if the headlights need turning on for that reason.
Any more details about this?

I read it in VW Driver Magazine yonks back. It makes sense because it the headlights do come on when there is low sun behind, then turn off when heading the other way.

Back