T6 Front nearside Roof plug internal thread missing.

Mat1019

Hi, new to the forum if anyone could be of help.

I have some OMTEC roof rails to fit on my T6 but upon removing the roof plugs the front nearside internal thread is missing there is just a hole in the roof with no thread below. Am I correct in assuming that the thread must have come unattached and possibly fallen through? Does anyone know if I can access this from inside the cab where it could somehow be re attached or is my best bet to tap a new thread into the M8 hole, my only concern with this is that the depth of metal in the roof may not hold a new thread and be strong enough to screw the rails into.

Any advice would be great

Thanks

Hi, new to the forum if anyone could be of help.

I have some OMTEC roof rails to fit on my T6 but upon removing the roof plugs the front nearside internal thread is missing there is just a hole in the roof with no thread below. Am I correct in assuming that the thread must have come unattached and possibly fallen through? Does anyone know if I can access this from inside the cab where it could somehow be re attached or is my best bet to tap a new thread into the M8 hole, my only concern with this is that the depth of metal in the roof may not hold a new thread and be strong enough to screw the rails into.

Any advice would be great

Thanks
Got any pics? The roof plug that you removed should have screwed into the captive nut in the roof that the rails will bolt to.

Thanks for the quick reply, the plug was just stuck on and not actually screwed into the thread, all other plugs had the threads but this one is just the M8 hole with no internal thread.

I'm 99% sure that there is a metal clip which holds the captive nut. And it's accessed from inside the cab.
@Pauly might have the part number.

ok thats great thanks, Im guessing if I get the cab headlining down I might be able to find the clip / nut and put it back in place.?

yes there should be a captive but on the inside, will have a look when I’m on a computer next and see if I can find a part number

Part number appears to be 7H0817940A
according to the parts diagrams there are no variations on the part and there are 8 of that part fitted to the roof area of van so assume all 8 are the same
They will cost you £3.49 + vat each from a dealer

If you google the number you can see what they look like

I had the same problem when I fitted those roofbars, one of the captive nuts had moved somewhat in the void. Fortunately you can get to it from the inside when your remove the VW grey panels and manipulate it back in with a screwdriver...

There was a thread on it....

Hi. Am I correct in thinking all the roof holes in my vans roof gutter should have captive nuts under them? I have 5 on each side.
Thanks

Back