Solar panels fixing to my LWB T6

DaveCrampton

2017 Shuttle SE.
VIP Member
T6 Guru
First off, I have searched for the answer to my question here but not found it yet.

I am not looking for advice of specific setups but instead on how best to attach two 100W panels to my T6 roof.

A little background, I sea kayak and have a VW roof rack attached to the second and fourth holes on my roof. I have attached to the rack a Karitek roof rack rail system. There is a little flexibility to where these can be sited, but I don't want to place the racks on mounts next to each other, as this puts them very close together. Moving the rack forward or back to allow four adjacent holes pushes the kayaks too far forward or rear, presenting a large overhang. At present the kayaks at 5m lay right over the van, leaving very short overhang.

How do others attach their panels, with another rack on their roof? I could have a rhino rack fitted and push the kayaks up from the rear. This would allow an easy fix of two panels up front. But I like the current setup with the Karitek cradle pulling down the side of the van, allowing one person to put a kayak on alone. Plus I have a four bike cycle rack on the tailgate and if we are away on a family holiday with four bikes on the rear, pushing up a 5m 27kg kayak up from the rear is tricky.

How best do I attach two 100W panels at the front, on a structure which is not bonded to the van's roof please?

Thanks in advance.

Dave C

You could use a foldable portable panel connected by suitable cables/plugs?
When would you actually use the panels ?

Pete

Actually I can move the rack forward to the two holes which only adds 67cm to the front, which leaves the four rear attachment points. I can attach a second pair of racks to mount the panels on.

The mounts are (from the front) 64cm, 80, 67, 35 apart. Moving forward doesn't produce the larger gap I imagined it would be.

Ok, I can't close the thread, so I'll park it here.

Reactions: CAB
I’m planning moving my Karitek from my T5 to T6.1 when it arrives, on a pop-top, for a canoe+kayak. I’m planning mounting the Karitek towards the front so boats don’t interfere with bike rack, with semi-flex panels towards the rear, bonded on. This should keep the weight in spec. I know the semi-flexible are apparently less robust, but I don’t have the weight budget for rigid panels.

I haven't seen any pop tops in the flesh, up close but I imagine you have a little flexibility, as you are drilling holes in your roof where you need them. I have no pop top and can only fix the rack to the set holes in the gutter.

Good luck.

I haven't seen any pop tops in the flesh, up close but I imagine you have a little flexibility, as you are drilling holes in your roof where you need them. I have no pop top and can only fix the rack to the set holes in the gutter.

Good luck.
I’ve got slotted rails that run along the length of the roof, and the cross bars bolt into the rail wherever you need.

IMG_3622.jpegIMG_3626.jpeg
Two panels bolted together and L brackets bolted to rivnuts in the cross bars. Sits just below the OEM rails and is almost invisible from ground level.
I have a Kombi-Rak which is like a posh Karitek and I bolt that into rivnuts in the cross bars as well.
A bit over weight for the standard cross bars but I’ve ’through bolted’ the end clamps to up the strength.IMG_4014.jpegIMG_4015.jpegIMG_3995.jpegIMG_4015.jpegIMG_4028.jpeg

Back