Roof mount point thread has moved !

Sackmycook

Ex-owner
T6 Legend
So, whilst attaching the roofbars, one of the thread receptors has moved away from the hole on the van roof and now it's impossible to either get the roofbar bolt to screw in or the threaded cover to go back on.
Anyone got any suggestions? Thinking I might have to bond the cover screen back on.

Not sure, I can screw a roofbar bolt into it but it's at an angle. Cant wiggle it back straight, its stuck fast.

Normally lights spot welded sounds like a weld has failed and it’s tilted
That is a bummer! Can it be manipulated with stiff hooked wire and pulled back into position. If a small amount of glue could hold it just enough, then follow the Stainless Steels Stud Thread for Roof Bars.

They are accessible with the roof panel down. This is what they look like on the inside...

Looks like a loose square nut held captive within a spring steel clip.

5BB04644-CB5F-49E5-9B2E-09A5FDA225F3.jpeg

That's great info, thanks. She is going in for the carpet treatment in a few weeks so I will ask the guys to check it when they bring the roof panels down...

If it has the standard hardboard panels they take minutes to take down - on the plastic clips I use a right angled pick to lift the edge of the centre pin then a V shaped trim tool to pull the pin out. The roof trim may need to come down - again V shaped trim tool.

I’d rather sort it than have a leak!

@Paynewright you are quite right, got to it this morning. Popped half a dozen of the panel clips out this morning to give access. The clip itself had worked loose (could account for an annoying squeak I've noticed recently) and was loose with the clip recess. Removed, cleaned and centrally aligned the captive nut. Now works as intended. Thanks for the advice all.20201118_105038.jpg20201118_110037.jpg

Same thing happened to me
Just get the thinnest screwdriver that you have, find the middle of the nut with it and move it back into place

Yeah, I tried moving the nut externally but the problem was the clip itself had popped out of the recess and the nut couldn't move any further.

Back