T6 daylight bulb fitting

Lutty

T6 Pro
Hi All,
Went to Halfords to get bulb changed they said it couldn't be done so went to a local service centre. They couldn't get to it also so suggested that the light needs to be removed to fit bulb, which means that the bumper needs to be removed. They gave me another place they use for bodywork & MOT'S. The guy there did manage to get bulb out by removing air box but the terminals on the bulb holder were burnt. Surely there must be an easier way to replace day running side light bulbs. Why has it been made so difficult? I now have it booked in for replacement light. Your thoughts will be appreciated as normal
Thanks Dave

Sounds like H7. H4 drl bulbs are fairly easy to replace.

To be honest, I tried for hours to reach my H7 drls. In the end it was far easier to just remove the bumper. I think there is an improved version bulb holder to replace the burned contact.

Yes a revised bulb holder with wire tails is available. They need the wires to the internal bulb holder snipping and soldering to the revised holder. This is defo a headlight out job. I did a pre-emptive change as the set I bought had one of the DRL bulb holder extension pieces (to aid removal) had snapped off.

Search the archives.

Have just spoke to a VW assist tech and H7 are a bumper off job for these bulbs, what a crock of s''t don’t you just admire VW thinking.

This is what the DRL bulb holder looks like - if the extension thumb piece has snapped off (like one of mine in the 2nd hand lights) then it would be impossible to change in situ.
2AC10902-9789-435F-BE3C-8A5F9FDB9CB6.jpeg

Well, I found out today here in Spain that they are a mod that will make the campervan fail the MOT (ITV here)............... Bugger.

Yes here in Spain they will fail it. I asked the manager and he said that's the way Spain does things.................
TBH all the alterations are within the lamp unit, behind the bulb hatch and apart from two bits of heatshrink sleeve would be indistinguishable from the later changed design from the factory.

I would have no issues altering the H7s to the later hard wired DRL bulb holders.

TBH all the alterations are within the lamp unit, behind the bulb hatch and apart from two bits of heatshrink sleeve would be indistinguishable from the later changed design from the factory.

I would have no issues altering the H7s to the later hard wired DRL bulb holders.
In Spain, the MOT (ITV) is a joke. For example my 2007 Yaris takes 12 minutes or less to go through the test.

Things you take for granted in the UK are not allowed or require loads of paperwork.

Example:
(1) Fitting a towbar, requires a cert of modification which must be taken to the MOT (ITV) center within 15 days or it will be failed on the next test!
(2) Modifying interior of a van (any mods) must have all the CE certs and presented to the MOT (ITV) center before they will pass it
(3) Tinted windows required a fitters cert showing the level of tint and maker's name! before passing
(4) Lowered vehicles require cert of conformity and will be measured to see if it falls within limits!
(5) Lighting is not allowed to be modified other than replacing bulbs like for like and DLR's must be factory fitted and not aftermarket add ons

This makes self-builds a nightmare and many folks just go to a company that does it all and pay the extra on top as comes with all the required documents you need.

Many EX Pats have their motorhomes or campervans and even cars failed when trying to register them on Spanish plates because they do not have the correct paperwork. Pain in the ass..............

Last edited:
In Spain, the MOT (ITV) is a joke. For example my 2007 Yaris takes 12 minutes or less to go through the test.

Things you take for granted in the UK are not allowed or require loads of paperwork.

Example:
(1) Fitting a towbar, requires a cert of modification which must be taken to the MOT (ITV) center within 15 days or it will be failed on the next test!
(2) Modifying interior of a van (any mods) must have all the CE certs and presented to the MOT (ITV) center before they will pass it
(3) Tinted windows required a fitters cert showing the level of tint and maker's name! before passing
(4) Lowered vehicles require cert of conformity and will be measured to see if it falls within limits!
(5) Lighting is not allowed to be modified other than replacing bulbs like for like and DLR's must be factory fitted and not aftermarket add ons

This makes self-builds a nightmare and many folks just go to a company that does it all and pay the extra on top as comes with all the required documents you need.

Many EX Pats have their motorhomes or campervans and even cars failed when trying to register them on Spanish plates because they do not have the correct paperwork. Pain in the ass..............
That sounds a nightmare :eek:

I would’ve assumed as it’s a VW designed repair and it doesn’t alter the performance or output, and is indistinguishable from the outside, they’d be OK.

Yep and really pisses me off is you should see some of the vehicles on the road here - they would have been scrapped in the UK……
As they say “This is Spain”

Example:

Should have converted in Turkey. The only paperwork was the bill covered in spilled tea. Everything custom built in my LWB T6.1. Only your imagination holds you back. No crash test or CE stuff. So chances are all the kit will end up on your lap if involved in a bump.

I’ve replaced my H7 DRLs twice and not removed the bumper or the light. It’s awkward but can be done.

If you needed to solder in the repair holder with the flying leads I’d say you’d need to take them out.
I just replaced a blown DRL bulb in the drivers side lamp. I removed the air filter cover which gave enough access to g et it done but wow VW must have spent hours coming up with a design that is so fiddly and difficult to replace a bulb in!

I am praying that I don’t need to do the passenger side anytime soon as the access down that side looks a lot worse.

Back