T6 DAB aerial upgrade

Mwcard

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Morning all,

I'm trying my best to not post any new questions to ones that have already been answered but I have read through a lot of posts on the OEM DAB aerial and can't find anything to my specific question.

The DAB is very poor in my T6. It's a standard set-up with head unit shown in picture

I've got a pop-top and not seen any conclusive solutions to installing a shark fin or external DAB aerial.
I came across this windscreen DAB:
and thought for the price it's worth a punt to see it if improves DAB as I don't need to go down the route of changing the head unit or routing cables through the length of the van.

My question, would this Fakra connector fit straight into the OEM head unit socket as a replacement for the wing mirror aerial? My plan is to simply disconnect the OEM aerial and re-connect with this new aerial. Will it fit or do I need additional male/female adaptors?

Thanks
Matt

IMG_28292-large.jpg

connector.png

I've just found a thread where it shows the DAB cable connector that fits into the back of the head unit. This doesn't look the same as the blue fakra. Does anyone know the correct name of the OEM connector so I can find an adaptor to fit the blue fakra shown above?

IMAG0202_zpswzl9lywm.jpg

Have you got a heated windscreen because that might interfere with the signal going into a screen mounted antennae. Also, are you using any 12V USB adapters because they can interfere with reception. I had no end of trouble with DAB until I changed the (very cheap) USB chargers to a couple of Ravpower branded ones and a lot of the problems went away. I still get the odd drop out but it's nowhere near as bad as it was.

DAB works fine in our van with the same head unit. As above, make sure you don’t have any USB power adapters, dash cam power supplies etc in use, then try DAB again.

Pete

I find DAB extremely location dependent.
It's mostly OK in my van but I know areas where it will disappear completely.

Yeah, m27 just before j9 in the trees, dab disappears completely. Annoying.
Up the M6 too but you'd expect that in the middle of nowhere.
Everywhere else I find it's ok.
I have a basic system and the dab reception is pretty good everywhere I get it in the cars so the aerial should work well in the mirror unless you've got a dodgy connection.

Another possibility - have you got any LEDs fitted?

Some designs do create a lot of electrical noise... on my T6 I quickly noticed that whenever DRLs were illuminated certain DAB stations fell silent!

After switching-out existing LEDs for the Philips LED equivalent the problem went away immediately. (I tested with Halogens first to confirm my suspicions of electrical noise being responsible. )

Hope you get it sorted soon. Good luck!

Last edited:
Hi all,

Thanks for all the questions and responses. I don't have any USB charging adaptors attached, only a factory fitted dash USB socket which isn't connected to any device. I don't have any LED lights (that I'm aware of) and front windscreen is not heated.
Looking at the DAB channels I should get in my area I can't pick them up at all. So I would say I'm not in an area which has poor coverage.
I've also read that people have seen rock steady DAB when upgrading to a roof mount sharkfin or external window mount aerial, which suggests there are improvements to be made over the standard set-up which is why I was going to try the internal window mount DAB.

Is anyone able to answer the question regarding the two connector types I've shown in earlier posts? They sort of look the same but failing confirmation I may just have to take a punt a figure it out myself if the connector doesn't fit.
Thanks

Hi all,

Thanks for all the questions and responses. I don't have any USB charging adaptors attached, only a factory fitted dash USB socket which isn't connected to any device. I don't have any LED lights (that I'm aware of) and front windscreen is not heated.
Looking at the DAB channels I should get in my area I can't pick them up at all. So I would say I'm not in an area which has poor coverage.
I've also read that people have seen rock steady DAB when upgrading to a roof mount sharkfin or external window mount aerial, which suggests there are improvements to be made over the standard set-up which is why I was going to try the internal window mount DAB.

Is anyone able to answer the question regarding the two connector types I've shown in earlier posts? They sort of look the same but failing confirmation I may just have to take a punt a figure it out myself if the connector doesn't fit.
Thanks
You have pulled part of the socket off from the headunit, it’s stuck in the plug

A9846183-A253-427B-A1B7-D21AAF82032C.jpeg
I've just found a thread where it shows the DAB cable connector that fits into the back of the head unit. This doesn't look the same as the blue fakra. Does anyone know the correct name of the OEM connector so I can find an adaptor to fit the blue fakra shown above?

View attachment 122685

Solved.
I can confirm that the Fakra connector on this DAB aerial fits the standard head unit.

I connected up the new aerial without it being mounted to the screen and instantly got all available DAB stations in the area.
I'll investigate another time if there is actually an issue with the OEM aerial in the wing mirror. I've read many times that even with a working OEM aerial the signal can be hit and miss.

An easy and relatively cheap fix to my problem.
Thanks for all the relevant and useful comments.

51qxO-yDyJL._SL1000_-600x600.jpg

PXL_20210723_125459189.jpg

PXL_20210723_125504248.jpg

Reactions: CAB
Hi All, my problem is definitely cheap LED DRL’s. DAB straight off when lights on. I’m running round on dipped at to mo. Can’t miss heart dance and absolute 80’s! Anyone know details of the Phillips ones mentioned above? I should of guessed that £11.99 from eBay was too good to be true. It’s a shame as they are great looking when on!

Hi All, my problem is definitely cheap LED DRL’s. DAB straight off when lights on. I’m running round on dipped at to mo. Can’t miss heart dance and absolute 80’s! Anyone know details of the Phillips ones mentioned above? I should of guessed that £11.99 from eBay was too good to be true. It’s a shame as they are great looking when on!

this is interesting, my van has the LED side lights (i guess they're DRLs) that flicker like mad for ages after you unlock the vehicle. i hadn't considered them as the reason that my DAB sucks as soon as i turn the ignition on.

I couldn’t find anything about band L in advanced settings. I have a T6.1. Is it different? Mine has a square shaped lump on the roof which I think is the DAB ariel. I do have a dash cam underneath that. Does anyone know of a fix? Are there stronger Ariel’s out there which can be retrofit?

I couldn’t find anything about band L in advanced settings. I have a T6.1. Is it different? Mine has a square shaped lump on the roof which I think is the DAB ariel. I do have a dash cam underneath that. Does anyone know of a fix? Are there stronger Ariel’s out there which can be retrofit?
The square unit on the roof is not the DAB aerial ,,it’s for the sos system

the dab aerial is in the drivers mirror which hasn’t changed design for the past 10 years, poor design and performance.

if you do not have a pop top then a roof aerial will sort the issue, but some dash cams, usb devices, led bulbs can all affect reception

Back