T6 change from 3 seat bench to 2+1 rear seats

Hi All,
I'm new to the forum, so firstly Hi :cool:.
I am picking up a T6 kombi edition tomorrow in candy white and thinking about the first mod already!!
I mountain bike a lot and think the the best configuration inside for me would be to change the rear 3 seat bench to a 2 plus 1.
Can anyone point me to a thread, or advise on what/how difficult this would be and possibly advise/recommend companies you have used to undertake this kind of work?

I am based in Gloucestershire.

Thanks in advance

Andy

Following with interest as I have a triple and struggle with bikes.

I'd expect if you have a rubber matt that would need to change
Fixing points to the chassis are different for 2+1
and cost to change the seats

I'm in Gloucestershire, whereabouts do you ride?

Hi tintim,
Yes it does have the rubber floor, was hoping that could be saved but like you said if the fixing points are different you wouldn't want to leave holes, unless you can blank the originals off?
I'm hoping the most expensive part is the replacement seats, but this can be offset by selling the triple bench.
I ride an e bike (only recently changed, and is great fun) so want to be able to get it in the van with minimum hassle.
I have been riding Painswick and Cranham lately as been waiting get a transporter. I usually ride in the Forest so having the van will allow me to get back out further afield.

Hi Andy

You might be able to exchange/sell your flooring with someone on here, the for sale section is pretty vibrant. The same may go for the triple seat.

I have seen plastic blanking plates for the metal floor connectors, these may work cover up any spare holes.

Re: riding
I know Cranham, Birdlip and Painswick very well, just love the natural trails there. I used to commute between Cheltenham and Quedgeley off-road and used these routes even though it wasn't direct. Its been a while since I last rode there, I feel an epic ride coming on soon :)

Make sure you share your MTB in the "show us your mountain bike" section of the forum :thumbsup:

Anyway welcome to the forum. Ever need any help programming just shout I have a OBD device

Cheers,
Tim

Hi Andy

You might be able to exchange/sell your flooring with someone on here, the for sale section is pretty vibrant. The same may go for the triple seat.

I have seen plastic blanking plates for the metal floor connectors, these may work cover up any spare holes.

Re: riding
I know Cranham, Birdlip and Painswick very well, just love the natural trails there. I used to commute between Cheltenham and Quedgeley off-road and used these routes even though it wasn't direct. Its been a while since I last rode there, I feel an epic ride coming on soon :)

Make sure you share your MTB in the "show us your mountain bike" section of the forum :thumbsup:

Anyway welcome to the forum. Ever need any help programming just shout I have a OBD device

Cheers,
Tim

Thanks Tim,
Once I've got the van I will post some pics.
Will definitely look at the for sale section.

If you fancy a ride out, give me a shout.

Will get a pic of the bike on, love it!!

Cheers Andy

could always just keep the floor and cut into it to fit new brackets in correct location. mat is marked on the rear where it needs cutting. fit new brackets for 2+1 config and get the 3d printed blanks from pete on here to fill the old mounts. cheapest way

could always just keep the floor and cut into it to fit new brackets in correct location. mat is marked on the rear where it needs cutting. fit new brackets for 2+1 config and get the 3d printed blanks from pete on here to fill the old mounts. cheapest way
Sounds goods, cheers rover220.
Do you have a link for Pete & the 3D printed blanks.
Can anyone advise on parts required to do the seat swap?

I’d look at 3 x individual shuttle seats - they are easier to lug about, give flexible seating options and the middle one will use your existing floor brackets. Negatives are they will be more expensive and shuttle fabric options are different to the kombi / van range.

Sounds like I’m gonna have to weigh up the options!
Anyone done this conversion? What’s parts will I need? Is it a diy job or should I seek professional help?

Fitting brackets is DIY able - you will need to drop the fuel tank / adblue tank. Axle stands and a good jack essential.

Hi All,
I'm new to the forum, so firstly Hi :cool:.
I am picking up a T6 kombi edition tomorrow in candy white and thinking about the first mod already!!
I mountain bike a lot and think the the best configuration inside for me would be to change the rear 3 seat bench to a 2 plus 1.
Can anyone point me to a thread, or advise on what/how difficult this would be and possibly advise/recommend companies you have used to undertake this kind of work?

I am based in Gloucestershire.

Thanks in advance

Andy
I am selling all the kit for a 2+1 if you’re interested

I am selling all the kit for a 2+1 if you’re interested
Hi, I have now picked up my T6 and decided that I will stick with the bench seat for now as I was initially worried the mountain bikes wouldn't fit nicely, but they do, so thanks for asking but I am sorted for now, good luck with the sale :cool:

Hi, I have now picked up my T6 and decided that I will stick with the bench seat for now as I was initially worried the mountain bikes wouldn't fit nicely, but they do, so thanks for asking but I am sorted for now, good luck with the sale :cool:
thanks for that info Andy, is it front wheel off or not?
does the bike go in straight or on the angle? (I'm going to need to get 2 bikes in, 1 std mtb and one elec mtb which the wife is about to order)
just toying with the idea to get a transporter myself as I to mtb. only joined the forum this week to try and get some ideas for best configurations.
the pics are how I have set up in current car with the wheels on mounts

11694093-BD9F-48BA-8EC5-5A2862447892.jpg

695E6817-59CA-4583-8DCC-987D540DA04D.jpg

does the bike go in straight or on the angle? (I'm going to need to get 2 bikes in, 1 std mtb and one elec mtb which the wife is about to order)
just toying with the idea to get a transporter myself as I to mtb. only joined the forum this week to try and get some ideas for best configurations.

View attachment 76455

View attachment 76456

Have you got a link to the brackets you used to hold the forks. Great installation!!

I got them off ebay as a pair. they do them single and different colours now I see.

caution though....the link is for QR front axles, and there are through axle types too depending on your bike. I'm going to have to change the type of mount for the wifes new bike.
heres a link for the through axle type. just make sure its right size.

I'm also wondering if I could get the bikes in sideways with front wheels off and use this type of mount?

I got them off ebay as a pair. they do them single and different colours now I see.

caution though....the link is for QR front axles, and there are through axle types too depending on your bike. I'm going to have to change the type of mount for the wifes new bike.
heres a link for the through axle type. just make sure its right size.

I'm also wondering if I could get the bikes in sideways with front wheels off and use this type of mount?

I also think I need to go to some local modification guys/shows first to work out the best set-up for us. Anybody recommend any good ones near swindon/Oxford?

we don't want kitchen, pop top(for now)as the idea is to sleep in an awning anytime we stop over.
I'm thinking of the slide rails set up so we can move rear seat fore and aft depending on the bikes, then have a portable fridge plus a kettle or gas stove for a brew now and again. any thoughts from experiences out there would be appreciated from real owners.

View attachment 76455

View attachment 76456
Hi Huxwar,
I found there was loads of room to get three bikes in mine diagonally (an ebike, ladies mtb with 27.5" wheels & my lads bike with 20" wheels, all wheels on. I will attach a pic for you. My van has a bulkhead fitted behind the bench and thought it might hinder me but currently unless I need to carry anything long it shouldn't be a problem.IMG_3316.jpg

This was our set up, until I had to buy the wife an ebike too!

2018-05-20 17.05.57.jpg

Notice one through axle mount and a QR mount.....both now changed to through mounts......simple install, it was an old Thule roof rack bar, drilled the holes where the tiedown fixings go, got some 20mm spacers to go underneath, and a nice bolt through the top....

Back