Kombi bench seats to 1+1+1

buggycpl

I am sure a quick question for experienced T6 folks in the know.

Is changing from a bench seats setup in a Kombi to a 1+1+1 or even 2+1 a bit of a faff? I can see the rubber flooring would need to be changed to accommodate the appropriate extra brackets. Are there already factory threaded fixing points in the chassis to take the extra seat brackets or is it a more comprehensive professional job?

TIA
Chris

I did mine myself. All the fixing points are there, you just need to fix the brackets etc… not that hard if you are handy. You do need to drop the fuel tank though.

IMG_7822.jpeg

Ditto here - I added the extra brackets to increase seating permutations (I have a 2/1 kombi and single shuttle seat).

I managed to fit my extra 4 brackets without dropping the tank though IIRC had to release one of the plastic underbody parts and it was a challenge getting my arm in and the socket!

Painted the edges of the newly drilled holes

The rubber floor has the indentations on the reverse so you know where to cut it.

IMG_2798.jpegIMG_2799.jpeg

Fantastic, I was thinking about cutting the rubber floor, this is of course all hypothetical as we are still looking for a can. I can see however a 1+1+1 set up being so much more versatile as we will be using it for daily drive, occasional work (plumbing or gardening) and day vanning!
Having a very helpful younger brother with a 4 post lift will make it so much easier for…..er… him *cough* to do the mods

The individual shuttle seats have gone very expensive! I got my middle one a few years ago so we can carry 6 passenger - 2 in front, 3 in row two and 1 in row three.

The middle shuttle seat will also fit on the RHS in row two AND the middle of row two. The former is appealing to give some separation between the kids when we only have 4 seats in!

That’s good to know, yes I have done a brief fleabay search and seen some eye watering prices.
Am I right in thinking the transporter panel van does NOT come with the seat fixings already in place. I am sure I have seen various camper conversion videos on YT in which budding converters have drilled, plated and fixed their seat brackets.

All vehicles have the divots in the floor for where the brackets should go. Commercial vehicles have no brackets.

If I were starting from a blank canvas, I’d look at the Caravelle seats / rail system. Now only a little more by comparison to the 1+1+1.

Main advantages IMHO - the triple bench seat has 3 integral belts, slides all the way forward and all the way back (to use the cargo space as needed) and it lays flat to make a bed. With more cost you can have the Caravelle 2 rear captains chairs in addition to the bench which are ‘luxury’ seating for 2 of your potential 5 rear passengers.

Flooring will need thinking about as you end up with two long channels rather than 12 holes.

Cotswold T6 have the Caravelle bench seats starting at £1550 and you’ll need the proper VW runners which are 800 to 1k at a guess.

I’d just take a moment to consider your needs now and in the future.

If its only ever going to be family transport then 1+1+1 will work. If you plan to sleep in it then the Caravelle seat(s) might be better. All IMHO.

PS - if you are converting a van then the fuel tank needs dropping. There are posts on the forum about it. Someone used threaded rods to drop it enough but leave in situ.

Last edited:
Just an FYI 1+1+1 seats can go for crazy money in case you didn't already know that. Part of this is that there are a couple of Midlands area sellers who are constantly pushing up the prices of all seats as they have a good supply from Europe by I guess the container load from mobility conversions. As a result everyone else privately values the seats as more and the cycle continues.

I own both a Velle and 1+1+1 shuttle (with an extra middle seat with the integrated belt and some additional brackets so can have 2 upfront 2 in the mid row and 2 in the third row) my view is the Shuttle seat layout is far more flexible that the Velle and of course one person can manhandle a triple bench seat in and out of a shuttle. No chance with a Velle bench.

The T6 single mid row seats are far more comfortable than their predecessors and other than armrests and tilt function and swivel (LOL as that is a lot of features) as good for comfort as a Velle on long journeys across Europe.

Just depends on what you are really trying to acheive.

Great replies and really useful information, thanks very much.

So we will be getting rid of the Octavia Estate car we have and replacing with a T6 for use as the family car, occasional weekend/overnight stay away for 2 of us and occasional work use. I am a plumber and my wife a gardener, the use for work will be occasional i.e. when our vans are in for service, work location is near a college drop off etc. We also have 3 dogs who come with us on weekend trips and day trips, which we have previously done in the car with a large tent, not ideal when it is cold and wet.

Our kids are now old enough to think we are old and uncool and one of them is driving, so the use of the van overnighting will be for the 2 of us. We have always loved camping/hiring campers and we plan on doing a conversion ourselves on a Crafter MWB size van from scratch, we have friends who have T6s, T5s and a Crafter who we go to shows with but currently take a tent.

So thoughts are currently a set up with comfortable middle seats for ferrying kids/friends about, 2 swivelling seats up front to give easy access to the rear, ideal for weekends and more comfortable passenger seat, Ovano type setup in the rear as we always carry more then we need or should and good for work.

Thanks

Back