T6 Calif. Beach Batteries Charging Via Solar Regulator

nono81

Hi all,

My name is david, i'm from Switzerland. I'm waiting for my T6 Beach (normaly comming in june).

I would like to install a solar panel and regulator for battery charging but i want to charge both batteries leisure and starting. I've got the external 230v plug wich comes with an oem battery charger (A11) who charges the two batteries when the van is connected to external 230v. The solar regulator (votronic mpp 250 duo) has two output, one for leisure battery and one for starting battery.

I'm looking for the for the 2018 T6 California beach batteries charging circuit diagram to find how it's working and how to connect the solar regulator to the oem VW charger.

Sorry for my bad english :rolleyes:

Thanks in advance

If this is a 'static' arrangement, I would just temporarily bridge the split-charge relay, so the solar is charging both.
But, bear in mind that the starter battery in normal use isnt fully charged, to allow capacity for 'regen' braking...
Cheers
Phil

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks you two for answering ;)

In fact, I would like to replace the 14.5 volt charge energy produced by the A11 charger from the 230v by the 14.5 volt energy produced by the solar controller.

I could connect directly each charging outputs of the regulator since it manages the charge of 2 batteries separately but for that, I would have to install the cables directly
to the terminals of the batteries, it is relatively easy for the auxiliary battery but more complicated for the starting battery ... And yes, like you say Phil_G, i'll lost the benefits of blue motion management of the starting battery.

Mayby it's the splitting relay who manage the charge of the starting battery when the A11 charger is working with external 230 volts and the ignition is off?

The charging circuit diagram for main and leisure battery would really help, if anyone have it. I found some things for the coast and ocean version in the download section but not about the beach.

I have the same solar regulator. The output for the starter battery is a 1amp trickle charge which only activates when the starter battery is looking fairly low relative to the leisure battery. Given it’s only 1amp, you can hook it up to practically any sensible point that provides a 12v from the starter.

Has anyone ever fitted or know of a company that can fit a solar panel to a VW California Beach, there is limited info available on the web. I messaged Eco Wagon any that said no due to the VW electrics

Does the California Beach have an onboard inverter like the Ocean ?

Back