T6 17 inch steels weight rating

Bryn23

VIP Member
T6 Guru
I picked up a set of 5 new 17 steels off a new T6 3000kg, that were swapped over for alloys a few months ago.

I'm assuming that these will be the same as my T6 3200kg 17 inch rims?

I believe they are all rated to 950kg, am i correct on this.

I'm looking at getting power coated in Matt Black/Satin black, haven't decided on that yet, thought id ask around first, just incase i'm mistaken

I have the rims in storage (off course they are at the back), so i can't easliy get to them to see if there is a load rating on them.

There are two different sets of steel wheels, standard ones then the heavier duty ones for a T32 so of they came off a T30 I reckon they won't be rated correctly

Well, thats not good new for me, glad i checked before getting them powered coated.

You would assume, that being a steel wheel that it would be easy to just make them all the same rating, surely it would cost much more.

I only, got concerned when i read that there was two different load rated devonport alloys, which got me thinking.

at least they didn't cost me much.

I'm glad you brought that up as I am poised to buy 5 steels for my AT tyres for our August Alps trip. I found some on tyreleader but I'll have to go back and check their certificate..

Hey Loz

It's definalty worth checking, i'll have to use my current rims that came with the van, which are the same, but the right load rated.

So ill have to get the tires removed, powder coated then reinstalled, it would have been a lot easier to do the spare set i brought:(

T32 aren't common here, so finding a set of the right load rated ones would be like winning lotto.

Mines a cali so only a t30 technically but I want the stronger wheels.

Not sure what if any is the difference in appearance of the two

I think they all look the same.

I guess the only way to find out is the ET stamp on the back of the rim to be sure.

i found this info, it appears the 950kg load rims are ET56

Standard Steel rims are
6.5 Jx16H2 ET51 5/120 850kg
6.5 Jx16H2 ET52 5/120 875kg
7 Jx17H2 ET55 5/120 850kg
7 Jx17H2 ET56 5/120 950kg

why to VW, even bother to release two different load ratings is beyond me, it would have just been easier for everyone if they just released the larger load rating for everything. i can't seeing it costing much more

I think they all look the same.

I guess the only way to find out is the ET stamp on the back of the rim to be sure.

i found this info, it appears the 950kg load rims are ET56

Standard Steel rims are
6.5 Jx16H2 ET51 5/120 850kg
6.5 Jx16H2 ET52 5/120 875kg
7 Jx17H2 ET55 5/120 850kg
7 Jx17H2 ET56 5/120 950kg

why to VW, even bother to release two different load ratings is beyond me, it would have just been easier for everyone if they just released the larger load rating for everything. i can't seeing it costing much more
It looks like the ET is altering as the steel thickness increases, so the 950kg is 1mm thicker than the 850kg, or at least the inner part is, with the pattern remaining the same. Typical German efficiency to have specific engineered parts for different loads, but it makes you wonder how many people are running under speced after market fitted wheels???? It would be really helpful if the wheel world stamped the wheel with either - "swl"- safe working load; or "wll"- working load limit; or even just use the tyre load rating Index number. It doesn't seem like rocket science.:confused::confused::confused:

your right,

it wouldn't be hard to stamp the rim, at least everyone would know what load it is capable of.

I would imagine there are a lot of under specced rims, people just don't know and if it isn't labeled on the back of the rim, then it makes it easier to get it wrong.

They should just make it law that all rims have to have a load rating on the rim, thats the easiest fix.

If theres a part number on them anywhere i can run it for you and see what they come back as

If theres a part number on them anywhere i can run it for you and see what they come back as
Hi Pauly,

Just found this thread as I am searching for answers too.

As you know, I have a set for sale. The only thing stamped on mine, is:
7H0601027
5FFSW290415

The T32 steels have a small hole of the flange between the wheel bolt holes, the lower rated wheels don't have this. Mine have 950 kg stamped between the bolt holes (upside down at the bottom in this pic) also, the T32 wheels are noticeably heavier if you compare with the lighter rated type.
My van is a T30 but I bought the higher rated wheels so they would be better to sell if I wanted to change them.
IMG_0464.JPG

The T32 steels have a small hole of the flange between the wheel bolt holes, the lower rated wheels don't have this. Mine have 950 kg stamped between the bolt holes (upside down at the bottom in this pic) also, the T32 wheels are noticeably heavier if you compare with the lighter rated type.
My van is a T30 but I bought the higher rated wheels so they would be better to sell if I wanted to change them.
View attachment 10546
Thanks for the info. I'll take a closer look at mine later, but from the picture I took, I can see that they do have the 'small hole'.

Back