T6.1 When the engine is running, the engine cooling fan is constantly running!

Hello everyone, I have a T6. 1 with the engine running, the engine cooling fan is constantly running, the question is: is this just me or is it also so with you. And another question sometimes the fan starts working at full speed and there is a pungent smell from the car, this continues for some time even if you turn off the engine.
Hi Aleks
I’ve just had the same problem in my 2018 T6
and resolved the problem with a leaky water pump. I pushed the boat out and got the cam belt and everything else done at the same time and touch wood alls well so far

Hi Aleks
I’ve just had the same problem in my 2018 T6
and resolved the problem with a leaky water pump. I pushed the boat out and got the cam belt and everything else done at the same time and touch wood alls well so far
I assume your vans fan was running because the coolant level was low / water pump not circulating and it was overheating?

It was running on after the van had stopped even on shirt journeys so I put it in for a check, they took the timing belt cover off and it was damp , minuscule is what the garage said but possibly enough to warrant a water pump change . Also the EGR pipe had a hairline crack in it which was throwing the diagnostic off so I put it in to get issues all done in one . Although coming up to 5 years old it only has 29k on so it was due to be sorted soon anyways. It has been back three weeks now and running better than ever (!touch wood) and the fan has never come on so far so I’m assuming that was the issue.
Hope this helps

OP, do you get a CEL;

Hi , just had a sensor replaced under warranty to do with the sos button and on way home 5 miles the fan had come on ? Hope this is normal and a coincidence? Only had it a month and never heard fan before .

Hi , just had a sensor replaced under warranty to do with the sos button and on way home 5 miles the fan had come on ? Hope this is normal and a coincidence? Only had it a month and never heard fan before .
Sounds like a regen, takes a while to get used to it!

Sounds like a regen, takes a while to get used to it!

K thanks for coming back . Might call Vw morning and say what has happened in case summat goes wrong .

Thanks again

Reactions: CAB
K thanks for coming back . Might call Vw morning and say what has happened in case summat goes wrong .

Thanks again
You (well, I) only really notice it when parking up / manoeuvring, during normal driving the road noise masks them, but when the fan is roaring as you pull up and turn off, that's a Regen!

Back