T6.1 When the engine is running, the engine cooling fan is constantly running!

Aleks_vl

VIP Member
Hello everyone, I have a T6. 1 with the engine running, the engine cooling fan is constantly running, the question is: is this just me or is it also so with you. And another question sometimes the fan starts working at full speed and there is a pungent smell from the car, this continues for some time even if you turn off the engine.

Hello everyone, I have a T6. 1 with the engine running, the engine cooling fan is constantly running, the question is: is this just me or is it also so with you. And another question sometimes the fan starts working at full speed and there is a pungent smell from the car, this continues for some time even if you turn off the engine.
I suspect what you are describing is a regeneration of your diesel particulate filter. Loads of information on here about it:
Use the search function to find out more, what you describe is not unusual and as long as it isn't happening every journey it's nothing to worry about.

Last edited:
the fan will be on if the Engine is running a ReGen cycle (to keep the exhaust from overheating) (strong burning smell for first few K miles)

or

if you have the AC on and you are stationary. (airflow over the AC condensor)

I have no urea on the car (Euro 5) mileage 2200 km and nothing is lit on the dashboard, how can regeneration work so early?
And the fact that the fan is constantly running with the engine running at a temperature of-18C on the street is this normal?

The van will do a regen on average twice per tank of diesel..... from day 1.

It will take approx 45mins to complete. (After engine is up to temp)

If you switch off the engine mid regen... the process continues the next drive cycle.

Details are on the linked thread above.

FYI euro5 standard has a dfp.... but no adblue.

Thank you, I read your post, very informative. And on the second question, there are opinions so it should be or it's a glitch, just I was at the official dealer today and they shrug their shoulders and say maybe this is how it should be, but then I don't understand anything the engine is running the fan blows it on the street-18C and at the same moment under the car puffs webasto trying to warm up the engine which in turn blows the fan, well, is it not nonsense...

The fan creates air flow under the van and over the dfp which can reach 1000degC during regen. ....the fan stops the dpf from overheating the under side of the van.

Regardless of the external temperature.

We don't understand each other, forget about regeneration, we've dealt with it. The second question was about the constant operation of the fan as soon as the engine was started, it constantly works at low speeds, what is this related to?

Possible AC on if blowers set on windscreen?

When AC is on fan will start..

T6.1 is new....

Possible other options?.... we have T6 here so can't verify the fan actions.

@BognorMotors has dealing with the new T6.1 as a trade member. Maybe Bognor Motors can offer some additional advice?

Apparently the rad fan is running all the time, any input ?

I've never noticed one myself continually running, so maybe best check it with a dealer. We run quite a few of these now (40+) and never had a customer come to us with this either. Sorry that not much help, but best get it checked to be sure.

They are designed to get to temperature as quickly as possible, to run more efficiently, hence why on the short journey to the shops etc, the fan always seems to run on when you exit the vehicle.

Thank you for your answers, and I wanted the owners of the T6. 1 to look at the fan running on the engine or not. Why did this question arise on the forum, because I was at the official dealer yesterday, and they themselves do not know and say it is possible that this algorithm works like this. And they do not even want to make a diagnosis, they say go all right. I am shocked by the official dealer not wanting to do anything.

Thank you for your answers, and I wanted the owners of the T6. 1 to look at the fan running on the engine or not. Why did this question arise on the forum, because I was at the official dealer yesterday, and they themselves do not know and say it is possible that this algorithm works like this. And they do not even want to make a diagnosis, they say go all right. I am shocked by the official dealer not wanting to do anything.

Hello Aleks,

did you ever find out the reason why your T6.1 radiator cooling fan runs all the time?

Noticed my 2022 T6.1 150ps (engine code DNA) does the same thing and it's -15 C outside today!
And before anybody asks, it's not trying to do a regen or has the AC is turned on.

Anyone else out there with the same experience?

Hello Aleks,

did you ever find out the reason why your T6.1 radiator cooling fan runs all the time?

Noticed my 2022 T6.1 150ps (engine code DNA) does the same thing and it's -15 C outside today!
And before anybody asks, it's not trying to do a regen or has the AC is turned on.

Anyone else out there with the same experience?
sounds like a faulty sensor, you are under warranty, so I would get it to the dealer.

Mine seems to be holding high revs 1000 rpm & fan on for way longer than usual regen.
About minus 4 to - 7 .
Cold weather issue ??

sounds like a faulty sensor, you are under warranty, so I would get it to the dealer.
Just returned from the main VW dealer.

Been told that it's normal that the cooling fan should run all the time, I was very skeptical about this.
However they had a T6.1 demo parked outside, same spec as mine which they cold started and let me see the cooling fan working.

So there you have it, cold or hot engine the T6.1 cooling fan should run constantly albeit at a slower speed that DPF regen norms.

Hope this thread helps others with similar concerns.

Does it stop if you turn off the AC?
AC not turned on, please read my original post again...

'Noticed my 2022 T6.1 150ps (engine code DNA) does the same thing and it's -15 C outside today!
And before anybody asks, it's not trying to do a regen or has the AC is turned on.'

Also I'm aware that the AC turns on automatically when defrost/demist position is selected on the heating controls, so I made sure this was not the case when checking cooling fan.

Thanks for the reply.

Back