T6.1 USB C socket trim panel

alex.twist

Hi all,
First post for me...

Under normal use the twin USB C sockets on my T6.1 startling have pushed through into the cup holder/ USB c / 12v socket trim panel.
IMG_20220814_215629.jpg

Any ideas on how this panel is removed before I snap something? I've searched forums and YouTube but with no luck!

Thanks
Alex

I suspect it levers up with a trim tool, I expect there is a section in a manual in the downloads area, I'll have a quick look.

Last edited:
That's great thanks! I missed your last very helpful reply. I've just been out and prised it up. Cup holder clips out if you lever it in the right places. I just used a small screw driver which caused some very minor scuffs which I can live with. Picture below to show locations of clips.

IMG_20221117_220302.jpg
IMG_20221117_220326.jpg

IMG_20221117_220348.jpg

IMG_20221117_220609.jpg

I know it's a old posting but thanks for the info, I used a trim tool to remove the cup holder, my USB-c sockets had been push into the cup holder.
It's a flimsy way to hold the USB module in place, I managed to fix it back in place, but I'm sure it will end being pushed back down again.
Does anybody know where I can buy a new USB-C module from, one of the USB sockets isn't working, it goes on and off all the time. It's done that from new, it's crap.

IMG20230514164632.jpg

VW/TPS is the only official place unless you can find an online seller or 2nd hand unit on ebay etc

VW/TPS is the only official place unless you can find an online seller or 2nd hand unit on ebay etc
Thanks for the information, one usb socket never worked properly from new.
I couldn't be bothered to go to the local VW main dealer's, even thou our van is still under warranty, they have a bad reputation. I will just use the other USB socket that's still working for now. That's the only problem I've had on our van.

@Roblee would you mind telling me the part number for the dual USB-C socket unit? I don't find it anywhere. :(
Gergely, Sorry, I couldn't find a replacement for the USB socket anywhere. I think the only place to get one is VW Germany, it would cost a fortune though. I repaired mine, it was just the plastic clip that holds the sockets in place. The USB sockets had fallen inside the housing. Yes 1 socket isn't working properly but I can put up with that for now.

Thanks but I mean I need the part number for it to be able to source it somewhere as I don't have one in my van. If you happen to have a picture of it with P/N visible or have it somewhere written down that would come handy.

Thanks but I mean I need the part number for it to be able to source it somewhere as I don't have one in my van. If you happen to have a picture of it with P/N visible or have it somewhere written down that would come handy.
I would have to take my van to pieces to get the P/N it's a big job realy. Anyway I rang the main VW dealer for a price and can't remember exactly how much they quoted me but it was hundreds. The main dealer was willing to have a look at my van ( under warranty) but I'd have to leave it with them for over a week. I decided not to send my van into the dealers and just put up with one socket working. If you have just USB, you can get USB to USB C adapters that just plug in.

I would quite like to fit the wireless charger module that is available in Europe
That sounds interesting! Mind sharing a link?
Presumably it’s a QI charger, but would still need to physically plug in to use CarPlay?

I need to pop out my trim to find the USB sockets that dropped down, bit nervous about damaging it! Hoping to pop to Halfords or similar to get a cheap trim removal tool…

I wanted to avoid plugging the cable in it seems to have a. bit of a flip out so wireless charging is the way for me to go just need to find out how you get hold of a charger

Before you start that path if your only issue is a seemingly unstable USB-C socket when charging an active device like a phone then it may be solvable.

USB-C is a hugely complex protocol that can send power both ways and tunnel any number of data protocols over. The front sockets are "active" as they are used to link phones or USB sticks to the media unit. Given the complexity devices can sometimes get stuck into a loop, it was one of the things my phone did repeatedly dropping on and off charge as the van and the phone got stuck trying to work out how to behave.

I solved my issue by making my connection dumber:

Can I ask how you made it dumber - I know way back you could get a dongle that would block data traffic only allowing charge voltage is this what you mean

Back