T6.1 tailgate - internal release switch??

Ann

We bought a T6.1 panel van to convert. Our previous T6 tailgate could be opened from the inside. We just assumed it was standard to be able to open from inside. We weren’t told when ordering van that it was optional extra. Have contacted VW where we bought it from and have been told that it’s not something that can be retrofit. Anyone else have this issue?

I think what VW meant was not retrofitted by them. If it can be ordered via VW then in my book you can retrofit it.

No doubt one of the forum techies will be able to assist, @Pauly may be able to help.

Reactions: Ann
I think what VW meant was not retrofitted by them. If it can be ordered via VW then in my book you can retrofit it.

No doubt one of the forum techies will be able to assist, @Pauly may be able to help.
I’ve messaged the VW dealership where we ordered and bought it from ask if that’s what they meant. That they don’t retrofit themselves but it can be done. I really hope it can be.

Yes its a fairly simple retrofit, splicing into the wires to the external tailgate release.

There is the info how to on the forum.

I have done the mod as mentioned above. Simple to do. I think there is also a How to video on You Tube.
Unfortunately, it’s not something we could do. Would any type of garage do it for us? We have an auto electrics garage nearby to us, they will be doing the electrics in our conversion. Will ask if it’s something they could do for us.

The mod I carried out was just a simple push button tapped into the tailgate wiring. My guess is that any auto electrician could easily do it.

@Ann - Check out the attached video and read the thread. Maybe this whst you want?

Screenshot_20220331-202932_Samsung Internet.png

Reactions: Ann
I did it like @BoroBoy.

I realised it could be dangerous with no exit at the back. The converters obviously didn’t want the job because they quoted me £180 to fit. Sod that! So did it myself in a couple of hours. Once the tailgate card is removed it’s fairly simple to splice into the actuator wiring. Now one press and the latch is released Then I put a momentary switch on the card and I’ve marked what the little button does, just in case we have a galley fire. Whole job cost me £2.65. :whistle:

We have an aftermarket internal release, a pretty simple mod. That said, we’ve never used it in 5 years of ownership.

Back