T6.1 T32 Shuttle Suspension questions

Jamie2.0

Joiner
VIP Member
T6 Guru
Hoping to pick a T6.1 T32 Shuttle and have a few questions on the suspension.

I know it’s the heavier van but does the shuttle have the same suspension set up and ride height from factory as say a T32 kombi or panel van or is it marginally lower like the caravelles (if that’s even a thing!)?

What options are there to lower 6.1 T32s at the moment, I’ve read about comfort springs but is that it for now?

I’m looking to run 20” staggered wheels 8.5J/10J with an offset ET +35/+40 respectively and 275/40/20 106 XL tyres.

Thanks for any advice

There are loads of options for the T6.1 suspension, upgraded shocks and springs, plenty of coilover options too.

Good choice on wheel sizes and offsets, but if you want to run the 275/40 on the rear I would recommend a 245/45 on the front with 103 load rating. A much better width than the 275, but very similar profile height. You could also consider 265/40 all round with 104 load rating.

Hoping to pick a T6.1 T32 Shuttle and have a few questions on the suspension.

I know it’s the heavier van but does the shuttle have the same suspension set up and ride height from factory as say a T32 kombi or panel van or is it marginally lower like the caravelles (if that’s even a thing!)?

What options are there to lower 6.1 T32s at the moment, I’ve read about comfort springs but is that it for now?

I’m looking to run 20” staggered wheels 8.5J/10J with an offset ET +35/+40 respectively and 275/40/20 106 XL tyres.

Thanks for any advice
T32 s always have a stronger rear spring to cope with the 1 ton payload ( 800 kilos if 4 motion ) they usually sit 10mm higher because of the stronger spring .
There aren't really any lowering springs that can carry a ton in the back of a T32 however , This is why some manufacturers disclaim the use with the following statement "not suitable for commercial Use "

Using the term "comfort" for a spring is like using the word "Friendly " to describe Vlad Putin , Comfort is normally a Shock function of course but we do know that an empty T32 rides harder on the rear If the van is empty . generally the softer a spring is, the better the ride but it cant carry weight then , and you cant have your cake and eat it .
So if you seek comfort? concentrate on the shocks and if you fit the right ones ! you will improve ride , handling , comfort, noise in the cab , body roll and pitch under braking . with out doubt the best money you will spend on the vehicle .
Judging by the T6.1 brand new shocks in our scrap bin , a lot of people have listened to this advice .
Kits are available from Us and the Van cave man .

T32 s always have a stronger rear spring to cope with the 1 ton payload ( 800 kilos if 4 motion ) they usually sit 10mm higher because of the stronger spring .
There aren't really any lowering springs that can carry a ton in the back of a T32 however , This is why some manufacturers disclaim the use with the following statement "not suitable for commercial Use "

Using the term "comfort" for a spring is like using the word "Friendly " to describe Vlad Putin , Comfort is normally a Shock function of course but we do know that an empty T32 rides harder on the rear If the van is empty . generally the softer a spring is, the better the ride but it cant carry weight then , and you cant have your cake and eat it .
So if you seek comfort? concentrate on the shocks and if you fit the right ones ! you will improve ride , handling , comfort, noise in the cab , body roll and pitch under braking . with out doubt the best money you will spend on the vehicle .
Judging by the T6.1 brand new shocks in our scrap bin , a lot of people have listened to this advice .
Kits are available from Us and the Van cave man .
Thanks, appreciate the response. The van will be our family car as out kombi has been, never to be used for "commercial" use in our ownership, a handful of long journeys a year (holidays, trips to see relatives). Holidays will be the only time the van will be loaded and the rare occasion all 8 seats will be occupied.

Ride and comfort sounds like priority, (I didn't really find our stock kombi all that bad) and it'd be nice to have the wheels fill the arches too rather than have the van on slits ;)

I’ve just upgraded to a shuttle and find the suspension much better than my last van I’ve a feeling it being a people carrier they have fitted different

I’ve just upgraded to a shuttle and find the suspension much better than my last van I’ve a feeling it being a people carrier they have fitted different
The standard suspension is the same , but I would suspect the difference you feel is the weight of the shuttle interior ?

Well I had my 2017 swb window van suspension done with you and as standard it was awful this is a 2019 lwb and feels very different so I dunno … maybe haven’t done enough miles yet

Well I had my 2017 swb window van suspension done with you and as standard it was awful this is a 2019 lwb and feels very different so I dunno … maybe haven’t done enough miles yet
The manufacturer of the VW front shocks has changed to a Spanish manufacturer in recent times. But we get more complaints about the T6.1 ride quality than ever before now. Really not sure if this is the reason ?

The manufacturer of the VW front shocks has changed to a Spanish manufacturer in recent times. But we get more complaints about the T6.1 ride quality than ever before now. Really not sure if this is the reason ?
Thats a surprise, Im quite happy with he ride quality of the 6.1 in fact I think it's better than the 6 was.

Back