T6.1 T32 4-motion - Lower?

BasfordBob

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi, when my LWB T32 Dsg 4m 204 finally turns up, im interested to know whether you experienced lot would lower it?

I want to run off road style wheels, and will run it both on and off road but mainly muddy / pot holed car parks, in the woods and campsites rather than proper green lanes.

Im told its gonna ruin it putting B14 comforts or similar on as the factory suspension is great, but I also want to get under car park barriers etc..

Any opinions / advice etc would be most appreciated.

Cheers.

Then why have it?

On a more serious note I have considered Air and there are options to slam it or take it high. Costs though.
Snow, fields, generally improved traction?

I don’t use mine for “off road”. I’m down about 75mm

Then why have it?

On a more serious note I have considered Air and there are options to slam it or take it high. Costs though.
I find it good having a trailer on the back and you are on wet grass or a heavy load in the back, you have more traction in wet or slippery conditions. I dont know how many times I have been court out with only two wheel drive on wet grass or a bit of mud with a trailer on the back and getting stuck.

Im told its gonna ruin it putting B14 comforts or similar on as the factory suspension is great, but I also want to get under car park barriers etc..
Blimey Bob, have you actually read anything on the forum? First time I recall someone saying the factory suspension is great!

Sounds like you are looking for a Swamper Low type of thing, have a search on here.

Hi, when my LWB T32 Dsg 4m 204 finally turns up, im interested to know whether you experienced lot would lower it?

I want to run off road style wheels, and will run it both on and off road but mainly muddy / pot holed car parks, in the woods and campsites rather than proper green lanes.

Any opinions / advice etc would be most appreciated.

Cheers.
Hi Bob,

Nothing wrong with lowering a 4motion van, nothing wrong with lowering a van that's running off road wheels/tyres. The Swamper Low look is increasingly popular at the moment. You need to be a bit careful as to how low you go depending on your choice of wheel/tyre combination, the offsets and sizes will dictate how much lowering you can safely achieve, but it's always worth discussing your needs in detail to make sure you choose the right solution for you.

It's unusual to hear someone saying the factory suspension is great, we change the factory suspension for after market alternatives all the time because the factory stuff is exactly the opposite of great! There are loads of options, the B14 komforts being a particularly and unnecessarily expensive choice. You can change the shocks for some quality Koni units and run some 40mm lowering springs, which gives outstanding comfort levels and improved handling. If you wanted to go a bit lower you could go for height adjustable coil overs such as ST-X or KW V1, which also offer outstanding comfort and improved handling, with both kits being better quality and much less expensive than the B14 komforts.

We're a long way from you, but happy to offer further advice about suitable wheels/tyres/suspension and can ship kits to you to have fitted locally if you wanted to make a purchase from us.

All the best,

Chris.

Blimey Bob, have you actually read anything on the forum? First time I recall someone saying the factory suspension is great!

Sounds like you are looking for a Swamper Low type of thing, have a search on here.
Haha yeah I've read a lot, but it was actually a conversion company who told me I might ruin it. Said the 4m works amazing with the stock suspension as generally most of the 4m vehicles hit the scandinavian market which they are primarily designed for. Thats why I asked the question though, as I've ready so many different opinions.

Reactions: CAB
Hi Bob,

Nothing wrong with lowering a 4motion van, nothing wrong with lowering a van that's running off road wheels/tyres. The Swamper Low look is increasingly popular at the moment. You need to be a bit careful as to how low you go depending on your choice of wheel/tyre combination, the offsets and sizes will dictate how much lowering you can safely achieve, but it's always worth discussing your needs in detail to make sure you choose the right solution for you.

It's unusual to hear someone saying the factory suspension is great, we change the factory suspension for after market alternatives all the time because the factory stuff is exactly the opposite of great! There are loads of options, the B14 komforts being a particularly and unnecessarily expensive choice. You can change the shocks for some quality Koni units and run some 40mm lowering springs, which gives outstanding comfort levels and improved handling. If you wanted to go a bit lower you could go for height adjustable coil overs such as ST-X or KW V1, which also offer outstanding comfort and improved handling, with both kits being better quality and much less expensive than the B14 komforts.

We're a long way from you, but happy to offer further advice about suitable wheels/tyres/suspension and can ship kits to you to have fitted locally if you wanted to make a purchase from us.

All the best,

Chris.
Chris, appreciate that reply, very useful info. Thanks!

I find it good having a trailer on the back and you are on wet grass or a heavy load in the back, you have more traction in wet or slippery conditions. I dont know how many times I have been court out with only two wheel drive on wet grass or a bit of mud with a trailer on the back and getting stuck.
I’ll be towing too, plus I live on a steep street, years of owning rwd cars have made me wary of anything thats gonna be used day in day out not having 4wd.

In my opinion the reason VW do a 4x4 option is for adverse weather or road conditions , traction being the main point . A lot of people try to make these vans off road warriors but in all reality the van will never be a Jeep Wrangler or LR defender
I also recommend Koni dampers and sensible drop and if camper converted getting the rake back to normal for safety reasons .
well priced and the best performing suspension in the business

Don’t confuse B14 with the B14 Komforts. Completely different. The non Komforts are far too crash. The komforts would transform the naff factory suspension along with the likes of STX.

Don’t confuse B14 with the B14 Komforts. Completely different. The non Komforts are far too crash. The komforts would transform the naff factory suspension along with the likes of STX.
Correct and half the price ?!!!

Agree it would be incorrect to expect a 4Motion van to be as capable as a purpose built 4WD for rock crawling and other very specific 4WD scenarios. That being said they can be more capable than people expect for a decent amount of off road scenarios (obviously not rock crawling etc where you want long wheel travel) with the right tire pressures, driver handling even with basic mods such as good tire choice. I bought mine specifically to go off road in Australia mainly for beach, island driving to get the kids to places you can't go with a normal car.
I've taken my 6.1 Transporter, 4M, diff lock running 235/65/17 tires (+50mm diameter increase = 1inch lift under diffs) as the only mod across the whole of Moreton Island off QLD coast (similar sand island to Fraser but 3rd largest instead of worlds largest) and it went everywhere the lifted "proper 4WD's" running 33 and 35" tires went. Obviously i didn't charge up rutted holed tracks at 50km/h like the 200 series cruiser's or the lifted Hilux's did as i'm still on standard suspension but it easily walked up holed soft tracks in 1st gear never bottoming out the diff or dragging its arse.
Long story short the proper 4WD's got to all parts of the Island and so did we. So we got to go everywhere and see everything all the other 4wd's did so for me that's the result. We cruised past a lifted 200 series Landcruiser bogged in really soft sand that obviously thought power and capability guarantee'd performance. He was on 24PSI and we were on 12PSI tire pressures as the day before the van had started to drop in the soft stuff on 18PSI. We stopped, dropped to 12PSI got the kids to throw some Maxxtraxx under the wheels and it walked out in 1st gear and for the rest of the trip it went across that soft sand like a hovercraft. Lots of comments, thumbs up and calls from others around who saw it wheeling.
If you want there is some video pics etc on instagram at ferdinand.the.bulli

Bob,
for my needs and use the 4M works completely fine but i'd never drop it as I need the clearance and wheel travel but if you don't need that for your use then maybe it will work for you.

@CRS Performance do you have a recommendation for a suspension solution for going up 2 inches? It's not a camper and not a work van so not consistently taking a big payload. Will likely build in some drawers and pull out kitchen at some point for the back part similar in size to the Vanessa type builds (yes i'll be doing a diff drop with it)

cheers

Agree it would be incorrect to expect a 4Motion van to be as capable as a purpose built 4WD for rock crawling and other very specific 4WD scenarios. That being said they can be more capable than people expect for a decent amount of off road scenarios (obviously not rock crawling etc where you want long wheel travel) with the right tire pressures, driver handling even with basic mods such as good tire choice. I bought mine specifically to go off road in Australia mainly for beach, island driving to get the kids to places you can't go with a normal car.
I've taken my 6.1 Transporter, 4M, diff lock running 235/65/17 tires (+50mm diameter increase = 1inch lift under diffs) as the only mod across the whole of Moreton Island off QLD coast (similar sand island to Fraser but 3rd largest instead of worlds largest) and it went everywhere the lifted "proper 4WD's" running 33 and 35" tires went. Obviously i didn't charge up rutted holed tracks at 50km/h like the 200 series cruiser's or the lifted Hilux's did as i'm still on standard suspension but it easily walked up holed soft tracks in 1st gear never bottoming out the diff or dragging its arse.
Long story short the proper 4WD's got to all parts of the Island and so did we. So we got to go everywhere and see everything all the other 4wd's did so for me that's the result. We cruised past a lifted 200 series Landcruiser bogged in really soft sand that obviously thought power and capability guarantee'd performance. He was on 24PSI and we were on 12PSI tire pressures as the day before the van had started to drop in the soft stuff on 18PSI. We stopped, dropped to 12PSI got the kids to throw some Maxxtraxx under the wheels and it walked out in 1st gear and for the rest of the trip it went across that soft sand like a hovercraft. Lots of comments, thumbs up and calls from others around who saw it wheeling.
If you want there is some video pics etc on instagram at ferdinand.the.bulli

Bob,
for my needs and use the 4M works completely fine but i'd never drop it as I need the clearance and wheel travel but if you don't need that for your use then maybe it will work for you.

@CRS Performance do you have a recommendation for a suspension solution for going up 2 inches? It's not a camper and not a work van so not consistently taking a big payload. Will likely build in some drawers and pull out kitchen at some point for the back part similar in size to the Vanessa type builds (yes i'll be doing a diff drop with it)

cheers
I would say 50 mm is too much actually ,. but if any one can do i think Siegel would be the people to contact . Do you have Seigel in your neck of the woods ??

If they dont do it , i would think again about it !!

Is the standard t32 4motion suspension any different to regular t32? Also can anyone help with part numbers for koni dampers front and rear as already have 35mm eibach lowering springs to go with some of these? Many thanks

Is the standard t32 4motion suspension any different to regular t32? Also can anyone help with part numbers for koni dampers front and rear as already have 35mm eibach lowering springs to go with some of these? Many thanks
The suspension is the same on the 2wd/4mot

@CRS Performance can help with the Konis

Back