Too low. How much higher?

7ncj

Our new T6.1 has been lowered and I’m thinking I need to get it raised before i crunch it. Question is, by how much?

We have quite steep incline onto our drive and it manages that ok, albeit being very careful and all parking sensors warning of doom. I plan to use it on campsites, Devon lanes, Dartmoor / beach car parks etc etc and fear it’s only time before I damage it and get stuck.

It looks and handles great, but it’s too much of a risk and compromise for me.

What height have folk strikes the right balance?

Thanks

Our new T6.1 has been lowered and I’m thinking I need to get it raised before i crunch it. Question is, by how much?
It would kinda depend on how much it’s been lowered by

A 30/40mm drop from standard seems a decent compromise.

That looks about the same as ours and we use it for all those type of activities. I have mud flaps on the front to protect the side bars and the worst I have had is those rubbing on speed bumps. The suspension can be crashier at this height but I haven’t really found it low enough to stop driving on campsite fields etc

@cgtmiles That’s good to hear. Thanks. Maybe I should just see how it goes for a bit.

Slight variation on the question, do you have a towbar on yours? I want to use a towbar bike rack I already have (and would probably find it a challenge to use a tailgate one due to the spoiler).

Was wondering if ride height could impact being able have a tow bar.

@cgtmiles That’s good to hear. Thanks. Maybe I should just see how it goes for a bit.

Slight variation on the question, do you have a towbar on yours? I want to use a towbar bike rack I already have (and would probably find it a challenge to use a tailgate one due to the spoiler).

Was wondering if ride height could impact being able have a tow bar.
No I don’t have a towbar, I have a tailgate mounted vw rack so I’m can’t help there

I believe I’ve read things on here about height when towing a caravan but I’m not sure how this would impact a bike rack. I guess there is less room to tilt it to clear the tailgate when loaded

That looks like 80-90mm drop, that’s how I ran for 5 years, but was constantly watching for speed bumps, potholes, high kerbs etc.

I’m now running at a 50mm drop and I can now sleep much easier, and the bonus is a better ride too.

But it’s all very subjective.

That looks like 80-90mm drop, that’s how I ran for 5 years, but was constantly watching for speed bumps, potholes, high kerbs etc.

I’m now running at a 50mm drop and I can now sleep much easier, and the bonus is a better ride too.

But it’s all very subjective.
First day on the site....Can I ask how you went about lowering the drop? Mine looks about 80-90mm but I find it's way too low for potholes and speedbumps.
Cheers

I had new shocks and springs, if you want a lift you could go back to standard suspension and fit some 17" off-road wheels and tyres.

Thanks for your speedy reply!
Ideally I would prefer to do as you suggest but I bought this van with a new conversion so am loath to change the new shocks
and springs that it has already.
I know it has 'adjustable coil overs' so if I can't have these adjusted to raise it a bit I will keep your suggestion in mind.
Thanks for the info.

Back