T6.1 SOS Button Fault

Hi all,

New here, with a T6.1 in Pure Grey picked up from the dealer two weeks ago.

Annoyingly, the day I picked up the van they told me there was a fault with the SOS button and some of them have been calling emergency services randomly, so they disabled it for me.

Whilst I'm not that bothered about the SOS button, it seems to have knocked out my microphone, so I can't make hands-free calls. So I'm back on headphones for calls in the van, which is not ideal. I've to the van booked info the 27th, but wondering if there's a setting somewhere I'm missing and if it's just my iPhone X not linking with CarPlay properly. Everything else works fine with CarPlay except the microphone which doesn't work using Bluetooth either.

Any ideas??

Cheers

Guy

You’re not the only one. A friend of mine got their new T6.1 Camper conversion last Thursday and the day after the same thing happened while they were heading off on holiday, a pure grey van as it happens but that’s just coincidence I’m sure.

Had this on are new Mini Countryman . It phoned them twice and they weren’t happy with me. I just told them to phone the bmw dealer as it’s not my fault . They said they had a few calls like this and under stood .

Hi all,

New here, with a T6.1 in Pure Grey picked up from the dealer two weeks ago.

Annoyingly, the day I picked up the van they told me there was a fault with the SOS button and some of them have been calling emergency services randomly, so they disabled it for me.

Whilst I'm not that bothered about the SOS button, it seems to have knocked out my microphone, so I can't make hands-free calls. So I'm back on headphones for calls in the van, which is not ideal. I've to the van booked info the 27th, but wondering if there's a setting somewhere I'm missing and if it's just my iPhone X not linking with CarPlay properly. Everything else works fine with CarPlay except the microphone which doesn't work using Bluetooth either.

Any ideas??

Cheers

Guy
HI
New to forum also, something similar happened to me with my 6.1 three month after I bought it.
VW sent out a mobile tech who diagnosed faul, order part and came out next day and fitted it, so far so good.

I had a fault with auto lights and auto wipers and alarm sensors after about 6 weeks. It turned out to be a pinched cable in the cab headlining. Other people have reported similar overhead electrical issues on 6.1s. Spookily mines Pure Grey:sneaky:

I'm same.
My T6.1 was fine for first few weeks I had it.
Now warning coming up on dash saying "SOS unavailable, contact workshop" and orange triangle still on permanently.
Had it into VW who say theyve checked it. They suspect it may be a broken wire behind the lining "SOMEWHERE" and could take them days to find the break as it may mean removing a lot of the trim. Only thing is, the swines are telling me that this might not be covered by warranty due to the van having been converted into camper! Anyone else had these "warranty" issues?
Also does anyone have a fuse layout diagram for the fuse box inside cab (near to bonnet opener) please?
How nice of VW not to supply one. Profits before customers!

You’re not the only one. A friend of mine got their new T6.1 Camper conversion last Thursday and the day after the same thing happened while they were heading off on holiday, a pure grey van as it happens but that’s just coincidence I’m sure.
Do you know what their outcome was Ray? I've got a T6.1 camper conversation and they're telling me they suspect a broken wire behind the trim somewhere. However they're also trying to hit me with "not covered by warrant" crap due to the conversion!

Identical SOS error comes up on my new Kombi AND my sons new polo.

Reported to dealer - they are aware “but no fix”.
pretty poor on vw’s part.

worst part is that it knocks out the hands free and you loose the phone connection for about 30mins and then it tries to dial 999 and comes back to life.

you have to be a bit lively with stopping the 999 call…

Identical SOS error comes up on my new Kombi AND my sons new polo.

Reported to dealer - they are aware “but no fix”.
pretty poor on vw’s part.

worst part is that it knocks out the hands free and you loose the phone connection for about 30mins and then it tries to dial 999 and comes back to life.

you have to be a bit lively with stopping the 999 call…
Maybe if we all let the call happen the emergency services will have something to say to VW.....

Maybe if we all let the call happen the emergency services will have something to say to VW.....
Regrettably, this is “technically” the correct way to address the matter, albeit perhaps less socially acceptable. There is much legislation around the need to be able to initiate an emergency call and these auto-diallers need to comply, as does the bod who installed them.

For the conversion “victims”, a friendly converter who is ready to stand over his work would add a lot of sway to a discussion with the stealer on warranty work…!

Hi,

16 weeks after first reporting this problem to VW and still no fix.

So, I emailed the entire board of UK and German Directors and asked WTF ?

(If you google this error message, it’s a known fault across the entire VAG range - the Guardian newspaper picked up on it earlier this year)

(( link : VW, Audi and Skoda owners angry over fault in SOS warning system ))

After being overtly on their case, it would appear that a software update is now available, as of 18/11/21, but I have been advised my VW will need to go in for it to be updated.
(I did ask if it could be updated over the air remotely, but no answer to that yet).

After 16 weeks of waiting for a fix, I’ve now been advised that there is a 2-3week further wait until they can book me in !

This is likely to be the last VW I purchase (personally and for my fleet) - lovely vehicles, but too many software glitches and complete lethargy from VW to acknowledge and fix.

If you have a similar issue, or another that you cannot get resolved, THE BEST EMAIL ADDRESS FOR VW ACTION IS THEIR CEO IN GERMANY :

herbert.diess@volkswagen.de

I hope you all manage to get your VW’s fixed, I will be outing mine soon and going back to Mercedes - not quite as nice a ride, but I’ve found them to be more reliable and customer centric.

I can't see why you're having so much hassle.
Mine has just had a new module and software update and it's fixed...2 weeks after reporting it.

I don’t think VW have grasped the problem very well.

I reported my issue to Dartford Beadles in July - I was advised it’s a known software issue and “factory” need to provide an update. 16 weeks later, still no fix and I’m not very pro-VW anymore.

I guess some dealers are a little more pro-active ?

If there is a “fix” I can’t help but wonder why VW are not on the ball.

It’s been very frustrating, as each time The SOS error crops up, my hands free microphone also cuts out and I lose the ability to use the phone. The error is occurring practically every day in my Kombi.

I'm same.
My T6.1 was fine for first few weeks I had it.
Now warning coming up on dash saying "SOS unavailable, contact workshop" and orange triangle still on permanently.
Had it into VW who say theyve checked it. They suspect it may be a broken wire behind the lining "SOMEWHERE" and could take them days to find the break as it may mean removing a lot of the trim. Only thing is, the swines are telling me that this might not be covered by warranty due to the van having been converted into camper! Anyone else had these "warranty" issues?
Also does anyone have a fuse layout diagram for the fuse box inside cab (near to bonnet opener) please?
How nice of VW not to supply one. Profits before customers!
My sos was permanent faulty from when I picked up the van… van went back in last tuesday ,to sort the issue along with a another issue plus Bowden cables (under recall) got it back yesterday and it’s fixed (fingers crossed)

yes it was a broken wire , as I found the old cloth tape on the floor, along with greasy finger prints on the trims

This is what happens when manufacturers get in to an arms race to over complicate their vehicles with gimmicks, then convince the public that they need them. :laugh:
Dead right Dave.Very worrying when in the middle of nowhere " Reduce oil visit workshop " light comes on.
Off to the workshop for an update on the computer.
Pathetic.
Its a joke when these vehicle's are expensive.

Hi, I've just picked up my 70 reg 6.1 on Saturday, 1 mile from home and the SOS activated with a yellow triangle on dash ⚠️ .
I can see this has been an issue for 3 years+
I would like some advice-ammunition before ringing VW on Monday..
Thanks

Hi, I've just picked up my 70 reg 6.1 on Saturday, 1 mile from home and the SOS activated with a yellow triangle on dash ⚠️ .
I can see this has been an issue for 3 years+
I would like some advice-ammunition before ringing VW on Monday..
Thanks
Hi, I've just had this same problem start this afternoon (Also Pure Grey van!) and I must say I'm pretty angry that this bullsh1t is still happening.
The triangle is lit and the same warning about "SOS unavailable, contact workshop" on the console.

My vehicle is still under warranty but I fully expect the moaning about it being converted.

What was the best angle of attack for this in the end chaps?

Cheers, Ralph.

Hi, I've just had this same problem start this afternoon (Also Pure Grey van!) and I must say I'm pretty angry that this bullsh1t is still happening.
The triangle is lit and the same warning about "SOS unavailable, contact workshop" on the console.

My vehicle is still under warranty but I fully expect the moaning about it being converted.

What was the best angle of attack for this in the end chaps?

Cheers, Ralph.
Same - Grey 2020 T6.1 SOS error happened three times so far. Had a safety recall for the Bowden Cable so when I booked it in I mentioned it. Even though my van is converted there was no issue. They checked it out, and have ordered a new control module to be fitted in three weeks, all under warranty. They seemed to know that it was a 'fault' and weren't suprised. Fortunately, it happened again on the way to the dealers, so was able to take a photo but they just took my word for it (Lookers VW Commercial Centre in Carlisle btw).

Back