T6.1 Sliding-Door - have to slam shut

AndyNichs

T6 Pro
So, out of curiousity how hard does everyone have to slam the side door for it to shut?

I have to give mine a good slam to shut it and it seems a bit excessive but I've been told that's normal?

This is my first van so I may be comparing it to a lifetime of closing car doors, but feels like something isn't right?
Thanks

If all the other doors and windows are closed it can take a good slam to shut the sliding door and tailgate.

So, out of curiousity how hard does everyone have to slam the side door for it to shut?

I have to give mine a good slam to shut it and it seems a bit excessive but I've been told that's normal?

This is my first van so I may be comparing it to a lifetime of closing car doors, but feels like something isn't right?
Thanks
As @sparkywig said, with windows closed it can be a bit of a task to close it against the air pressure within the van.
There are slam-vents in the lower d-pillar bumper area… Have you ply/carpet-lined the interior?

If you’re looking for a silent don’t-want-to-annoy-fellow-campers-or-neighbours solution then you could retrofit a power-latching motor

Thanks
I've noticed that if if apply a bit of constant pressure with my left hand on the left side of the door when shutting, it closes perfect without the need of a slam. Same with the bottom of the tailgate. Works for me anyway

We almost always open the passenger door a fraction when closing the sliding door.
It means you don’t have to shut it so hard.

Pete

As @sparkywig said, with windows closed it can be a bit of a task to close it against the air pressure within the van.
There are slam-vents in the lower d-pillar bumper area… Have you ply/carpet-lined the interior?

If you’re looking for a silent don’t-want-to-annoy-fellow-campers-or-neighbours solution then you could retrofit a power-latching motor
Oh didn't know their were slam vents! Yeah it's fully converted. I'm have a look in the morning, but sounds like I need to try closing it with another door open.

If you’ve got soft-close then you can leave a window slightly open whilst in and out of the van, and then close it using the key-fob lock-button - perhaps try this to confirm the problem is indeed air pressure.

So... Update on the door slamming. I had it booked in to the VW garage today for them to investigate. Turns out the door had dropped on the hinge and that is why it wouldn't close properly. The guys at the garage adjusted it and it closes like a dream now, no more slamming :thumbsup:

So... Update on the door slamming. I had it booked in to the VW garage today for them to investigate. Turns out the door had dropped on the hinge and that is why it wouldn't close properly. The guys at the garage adjusted it and it closes like a dream now, no more slamming :thumbsup:
Glad you got it sorted. I will have to get mine checked, I cringe every time I close it at night on a campsite.

Glad you got it sorted. I will have to get mine checked, I cringe every time I close it at night on a campsite.
Yeah I must admit, I've been away a couple of times now and I'm pretty sure I woke most of the camp site up closing the door! Not very popular in the morning.

By all accounts, it was a quick fix. If it happens again I'll know what to look for and hopefully fix myself...

Back