T6.1 Issues scaring converters off?

RealGoneKid

Hi

Visited two local Midlands converters last week with a view to researching the conversion prior to sourcing a new T6.1. The latter tried to dissuade me from using the new model for a camper until at least another six months as they had encountered some issues which they think might result in recalls at some point. Sadly, I cannot recall exactly what they were referring to, suffice to say the theory being it might be harder to rectify some issues if a conversion is in place.

Just wondered if anyone else had received similar advice in this position, or maybe if any converters would concur with this view?

I have not heard anything. It may be so. On the other hand their may be a deficit of 6.1 vehicles and this chap is putting you off to accept a 6. If it were me I would much prefare a 6 to a 6.1. This because of issues of privacy .

Well I’ve seen Camper King and Jerba Campers churning out 6.1s as well as Bodans who are going to do ours next year.

I have not heard anything. It may be so. On the other hand their may be a deficit of 6.1 vehicles and this chap is putting you off to accept a 6. If it were me I would much prefare a 6 to a 6.1. This because of issues of privacy .
Privacy?

The 6.1 is effectively live. The manufacturer can read informations send send information from and to the vhicle remotly. It could know where you are what your doing etc. Its not the only vehicle most newer versions are going down the same way Like the new Landrover Defender

The 6.1 is effectively live. The manufacturer can read informations send send information from and to the vhicle remotly. It could know where you are what your doing etc. Its not the only vehicle most newer versions are going down the same way Like the new Landrover Defender
Ah right. Yeah that's not good.

Worse than a smart meter!

Most modern vehicles up to recently needed to be interrogated via the port usually at the main dealers and later at any garage equipped with the appropriate equipment. If involved in an incident the the authorities search the vehicle using this technology. n Recently they are able to do this without plugging in physically but remotely It has been discussed before in a short thread. In any case phones are live all the time even when switched off. People with smart phones think that switching off the GPS stops location services. It does not, it only switches it off for the user.:) In any case, any phone even a non smart phone, signals local transmitters at all times even when off. By triangulation the can locate an approximate position. this has been the case for years. Smart phones listen to conversations even when resting. This is all old news. It is hardly news but the majority of people just have no idea. mainly because the majority of people do not read grown up news papers,

I was concerned with this also. You can change the privacy settings to 1 of 4 (I think) levels with the most private level turning off all remote vehicle functions and disabling the SOS/help etc. As you alluded to in your last post though, this could be a superficial switch off with the location still being transmitted behind the scenes.

So manufacturers can stop expensive R&D and use live Guinea pigs ( Us) to test out real world driving ...then use the data to dismiss any claim ...sighting it’s how you drove
Not the fact we’ve been mugged off with untested EGR ..DPF ..Adblue ..Poor lighting and crap suspension ....Next they’ll use the data to prove your speeding :eek:

If you are treated in a hospital in the UK and I would be sure that is the same in the EU. Then when someone receives treatment, they have to give informed consent. The operative words are informed and consent. That means any clinician has not only to ask your permission to proceed with any treatment or to touch you. They have to make sure that the patient fully understands what is being said to them, what the implications are and what the alternatives to that are and the implications. they have to talk in a language that the patient or guardian understands This is for the not only the good of the patient but also the clinician.

Politicians on the other hand, do not apply this rule to them selves, what ever party they represent. They are above all of that. If this principal applied to all. It would be a much better place to live. We all know how honest politicians are, don't we. Any way I do not want to go down that road. I just want to talk about vehicles and cups of tea:rofl: and music the weather etc bla, bla

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: CAB
I was concerned with this also. You can change the privacy settings to 1 of 4 (I think) levels with the most private level turning off all remote vehicle functions and disabling the SOS/help etc. As you alluded to in your last post though, this could be a superficial switch off with the location still being transmitted behind the scenes.
Mostly correct....location isn’t always transmitted, but it can be calculated.

Way back in the days, when we were developing the embedded SIM for the automotive industry....there were a few test cars in use. Anyway, tester had a bevvy and pranged car on his way home. Car automatically rang emergency services...he got nicked! True story!

This can all be read if you research. The knowledge has been there for a long time. I real have not set out to cause any one to be upset and say nothing usually except for being legal on the road but it is so frustrating knowing what is going on and this is absolutely the thin edge. Any smart technology that links to the internet can be assumed to be spying on people. Any connectivity at all. Private commerce has been given a free hand and through them. I do not need to spell it out surely.

If you are treated in a hospital in the UK and I would be sure that is the same in the EU. Then when someone receives treatment, they have to give informed consent. The operative words are informed and consent. That mean any clinician has not only to ask your permission to proceed with any treatment of to touch you. They have to make sure that the patient fully understands what is being said to them, what the implications are and what the alternatives to that are and the implications. This is for the not only the good of the patient but also the clinician.

Politicians on the other hand, do not apply this rule to them selves, what ever party they represent. They are above all of that. If this principal applied to all. It would be a much better place to live. We all know how honest politicians are, don't we. Any way I do not want to go down that road. I just want to talk about vehicles and cups of tea:rofl: and music the weather etc bla, bla

Unless you’re so mangled up when you got hauled in to A&E....then they just try to save your life and hope you survive to speak with them afterwards!!!

So manufacturers can stop expensive R&D and use live Guinea pigs ( Us) to test out real world driving ...then use the data to dismiss any claim ...sighting it’s how you drove
Not the fact we’ve been mugged off with untested EGR ..DPF ..Adblue ..Poor lighting and crap suspension ....Next they’ll use the data to prove your speeding :eek:

It’s happening already! Ask any teenager who has a “box under the bonnet” to give them lower insurance premiums. How many have had a little letter land in telling them what speed they were doing in a 30mph zone on a given date and time....now deemed to be an increased risk....added £100 to the annual premium!

They don’t need to “prove” it....they’re assessing a risk! In fairness to the copper who pulls you....he HAS to prove it and in court, if necessary!

Last edited:
Unless you’re so mangled up when you got hauled in to A&E....then they just try to save your life and hope you survive to speak with them afterwards!!!
That is OK for then to do that yes, absolutely. The medics will be covered and the vast number of people in society would be in agreement with that and so it is fine. It becomes more tricky with end of life situations DNR Do Not Resuscitate. People wanting to end it for serious medical situations. That sort of thing. That is why the courts get involved, and it can become very protracted if relative want one thing and so on. The courts try their level best to decide what is in the best interest of the patient who is a real person. They gather a large amount of evidence and consult with many experts. It can be very harrowing for everyone involved.

Last edited:
Reactions: JOG
That is OK for then to do that yes, absolutly. The medics will be covered and the vast number of people in society would be in agreement with that and so it is fine. It becomes more tricky with end of life situations DNR Do Not Resuscitate. people wanting to end it for serious medical situations. That sort of thing. that is why the courts get involved, and it can become very protracted if relative want one thing and so on. The courts try their its level best to decide what is in the best interest of the patient who is a real person. They gather a large amount of evidence and consult with many experts. It can be very harrowing for everyone involved.
I completely agree and it is very emotive. And, I’m with you on the “informed consent” view too

This can all be read if you research. The knowledge has been there for a long time. I real have not set out to cause any one to be upset and say nothing usually except for being legal on the road but it is so frustrating knowing what is going on and this is absolutely the thin edge. Any smart technology that links to the internet can be assumed to be spying on people. Any connectivity at all. Private commerce has been given a free hand and through them. I do not need to spell it out surely.
This is a biggie and the most important lesson I have started with my two young lads (ages 6 and 8) already. People have become so blasé about the detail that is buried in reams of Terms and Conditions

Back