T6.1 Heater blowing Hot-Air only

Well fingers crossed the heater thing and door cables recall get done... just booked it in.... in 4 weeks time! Can they do it in a day? We'll see....

Got my van back at last, dealer had it for 4 weeks . Seems ok now , the air con is blowing cold again.

They wouldn't fix a couple of things as according to them the heat sheilding falling off my van isn't a warranty item and also the wheel arch liner being loose and not staying clipped in isn't either.

A warning to all other t6.1 owners, expect your heating/air con to break as this seems to be a very common problem. It's a dash out major job !

You couldn't make it up. Went today, crack of dawn to get there early... and they cocked up the booking despite me phoning yesterday to confirm.
Courtesy vehicle was changed to a two seater Caddie which is no use to me (as explained to them when booking), and the technician that appeared looked at the jobs (door cable recall and the heater issues as per this thread) and said it shouldn't have been booked as a day job as it will likely take nigh on a week!
So over two hours drive today there and back, plus a day's Leave from work, wasted.
Fuming isn't the word but what can you do eh? I've had dialogue earlier this year with VW UK when I had issues booking with the Bilston centre, and VW UK said I should let them know how I get on with the Stoke centre if or when I get booked in there.
Wonder what they'll make of this now!
Anyhoo, re-booked for next Tuesday and on the system for two weeks to ensure the courtesy vehicle is available etc... We'll see eh.

Really hesitant to recommend VW based on this debacle, and given my wife bought a brand new 54 plate Golf in the past and the brakes didn't work! You could put the pedal to the floor at speed and nothing happened, and it took me a week to convince the dealership (Inchcape) that there was something wrong!
Not running a lot of faith in VW right now, but will keep y'all posted.

• Sad
Reactions: CAB
Dropped mine off again this morning. They had it 4 weeks before to do the heater. Managed to scratch the dash, fit my steering wheel wrong, leave a loose cable to rattle in the door and my air con doesn't work.

Hopefully this time they'll get it right but I won't hold my breath. Think this will be my last vw after buying them for probably 25 years or more.

Well, got it rebooked for last week and thankfully after two days it was done. Aircon temperature is now adjustable again, which is a godsend as the weather is hotting up! Also the door cables recall was done but they haven't clipped the passenger door panel back on properly! Hey ho, I've had ongoing communication with VW HQ who will log my issues, leave it on the system to reclip the door panel the next time it's in a VW van centre and I think they're going to offer something in the way of compensation for the total shambles it's been to get this booked in anywhere (and the fiasco of that booking being messed up and a wasted day plus over two hours on the road for nothing!). I think they said a free service when it's due, so we'll see.
In a sense I'm sort of glad the heating fault occurred while trying to get the door cable recall booked in as it's all been done in a oner now.... time will tell if this fault reappears or if the replacement motor arm thing that snapped is a new version now. They couldn't confirm if it's a redesigned part or not. I told VW UK about what I've learnt about this fault, and given that many are snapping at between 12 and 18 months of the T6.1's life they can expect numerous vans in under warranty, twice if the replacement part isn't redesigned to not snap. Imagine that, nearly half a million vans in for two or three days, and doing that twice during the three year warranty period for the same fault? Here's hoping (and it's a vague hope to be frank) that VW sort this one properly as even their technician guy recognised to me that it's a common fault! Fingers crossed eh, but it really puts you off the brand.

Reactions: CAB
Mine is still at dealers nearly 3 weeks with not one single call to let me know what's happening. They had it 4 weeks before , had dash out to fixed the heater got it back and no Aircon, scratches on dash, rattling driver's door etc. Beyond a joke now

When I had a nightmare trying to book the recall job, before this fault occurred, I ended up writing to VW UK out of desperation. After a quick internet search I found this address: Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles, Yeomans Drive, Blakelands, Milton Keynes, MK14 5AN. They were interested in what I had to say as a consumer, and offered to help if they could. Initially I couldn't even get booked into the Bilston centre as they couldn't guarantee booking a courtesy vehicle, which is no use of course, then the issue with the one near Stoke after finally getting it booked there.
VW UK have since been in touch to see what they can offer in the way of compensation and I think the outcome will be a 'free' service later this year, but I've yet to confirm any details with them.
Reading through this forum it does appear we're not alone with either the faults on the vehicles nor the poor level of service being provided. I can only hope that VW UK take it on board and do something to improve things as dealerships are franchises and, though bound to VW requirements, they might not in reality be providing the standards expected of them.
Perhaps worth writing them a letter outlining your experiences with VW. On one hand you might get the service one should expect of a high quality brand, but also VW might learn that all is not actually as well as they might think in the real world. All I tend to hear these days is people "not wanting to touch VW with a barge pole", which is awful as I've always held them in the highest regard. We absolutely love our T6.1 camper despite all this, but it does make one weary about how things might be in the future.
Good luck with the ongoing issues though, fingers crossed for you.

Had a text out of the blue yesterday vans ready to collect. Picked it up last night and it was filthy dirty covered in bird poo and cobwebs. Now has a dent in the bonnet and a scratch on the driver's door. They regassed the air con, can't believe that only lasted 18 months my Audi hasn't been regassed in 9 years.

They haven't fixed the heat sheilding that was falling off even though they said they would and the driver's door still rattles after the Bowdens were done.

Looks like I'll be writing to vw too

2021 T6.1, the air temp is stuck on heating in all vent positions, regardless of air con being on/off.
What's the deal?
It's the electric type of dial.

Seems to be a common fault with these T6.1 generation... The electronic dial makes the 'system' operate something like a servo motor that has a mechanical arm, which in turn moves a flap that alters the mixture of warm and cold air coming in through the aircon, if that makes sense?
The issue is that arm is flimsy and snaps, leaving the flap stuck wherever it was. In many cases, from what I've read, it seems to stick somewhere in the warm mixture position which is of little use, if indeed quite hazardous, during warm weather! It certainly stuck with warm air in my case.

VW UK customer care centre HQ (as outlined in my earlier post) inform me that VW's quality control processes get triggered if even two customers contact them to outline an issue with either the vehicles or the service we're (not) being provided.
I'll quote the address again; Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles, Yeomans Drive, Blakelands, Milton Keynes, MK14 5AN
They say they would rather hear from customers rather than be kept in the dark about issues that are often quite important.
Let them know about the issue, and also how you get on with managing to get a VW van service centre to fix the issue for you.

Beadles Colchester
Thats worrying, same has happened to mine and they are my local franchise....havent had great experiences there as my van is modified so they look for every excuse not to look at it. First niggle was a rattling o/s sliding door, had it 2 days couldnt solve, blamed all my mods. I took it home and fixed it by adjusting one of the rollers in 10 mins! Perhaps if these heater controls are breaking there is enough case to honor them as a defect from the factory rather than recall all vans. Be on the phone Monday :(

Booked in for "Diagnosis" ! 2/10/23 lets see what mods on my van have caused the problem! Probably blame the rear bumper protector :rolleyes:

I’ve been under the dash and videoed the motor moving and clearly shows the broken lever. Hope this is enough to save the van being in all day to diagnose what we all know is wrong. Especially as they’ve already done this recently. IMG_5254.jpeg

booked in for repair Tuesday next week and apparently it’s an upgraded part going in

booked in for repair Tuesday next week and apparently it’s an upgraded part going in
Well as expected didn’t go smoothly but par for the course. Even though they wanted it in for a day to diagnose it. And told me it needed motor, lever and clips that day. It seems the parts were not ordered so it was with them 3 days to repair. With no activity on days 1 and 2 but it’s done and I asked if it is an upgraded part. Apparently it’s an upgrade so fingers crossed it should last.

I have just encountered the same issue of hot air only on my T6.1 Kombi. Booked in under warranty but can’t look at it until 6th December - at least the weather is getting colder so I won’t be sweating !
I’m dreading the dash being removed knowing there will be a rattle when it returns !
Also booked in for infotainment issues - screen freezing and continuous circling user name.
These two issues appear to be common problems on the T6.1 . Not good enough VW !!!

I have just encountered the same issue of hot air only on my T6.1 Kombi. Booked in under warranty but can’t look at it until 6th December - at least the weather is getting colder so I won’t be sweating !
I’m dreading the dash being removed knowing there will be a rattle when it returns !
Also booked in for infotainment issues - screen freezing and continuous circling user name.
These two issues appear to be common problems on the T6.1 . Not good enough VW !!!
Hi Robert, mine was done last month, took them 3 days instead of the 1 they suggested. However no rattles. Make sure they fit upgraded heater parts, they should do as a matter of course but I made sure I checked :)

Same issue . Full heat The servo motor control arm has snapped. This is the part VW sell as they know of the issue!!

IMG_1359.png

Back