T6.1 H15 LED bulbs not working

H15 Loom

This was what I ended up with
Ok for closure on this thread as someone else is bound to look at in the future and wonder what’s what….. long and short, they now work. Communication and the way Xenonsonline talk to there customers is appalling, and definitely can’t recommend, however, the lights now work.

To get to this stage, you need to purchase an additional wiring loom, which is not mentioned anywhere in the advert. I was eventually sent a link to a loom, with zero description, zero instructions or wiring detail, just a page and a product. It was another £5 or so I think, for the sake of trying it I thought worthwhile rather than paying to return the bulbs.

After messing about for a while, with connections in different configurations, it’s working. No errors on the dash, drl and sides working as they should and then full beam. Can’t comment on performance as yet as it’s not dark and I’ve not yet used them.

They are also the whitest light I’ve found which is what was expected, so providing they last and no further issues. Chapter closed. Will try and get some images added for info.
Hey @T4goneby have you seen this thread T6.1 LED Headlight retrofit
I'm curious why you didn't use the other bulbs on the Xenon website like AAlstin did?
Did your van not have combined high beam / DRL H15 bulbs?

H15 Loom

This was what I ended up with
Ok for closure on this thread as someone else is bound to look at in the future and wonder what’s what….. long and short, they now work. Communication and the way Xenonsonline talk to there customers is appalling, and definitely can’t recommend, however, the lights now work.

To get to this stage, you need to purchase an additional wiring loom, which is not mentioned anywhere in the advert. I was eventually sent a link to a loom, with zero description, zero instructions or wiring detail, just a page and a product. It was another £5 or so I think, for the sake of trying it I thought worthwhile rather than paying to return the bulbs.

After messing about for a while, with connections in different configurations, it’s working. No errors on the dash, drl and sides working as they should and then full beam. Can’t comment on performance as yet as it’s not dark and I’ve not yet used them.

They are also the whitest light I’ve found which is what was expected, so providing they last and no further issues. Chapter closed. Will try and get some images added for info.
Hey @T4goneby have you seen this thread T6.1 LED Headlight retrofit
I'm curious why you didn't use the other bulbs on the Xenon website like AAlstin did?
Did your van have combined high beam / DRL H15 bulbs?

Correction / my mistake..
My question should have been "How the heck did you know which bulbs to choose! from the Xenons website!?"

Hey @T4goneby, how did you fix the wiring loom into the car wiring plug?
I've got the same issue and the pins seem very loose in the plug - they slip out while I'm trying to plug the next wire in to the plug!
I"m keen to hear if/how you succeeded in making them stay in place long term.
Thanks!

Cool. They're a big investment from Australia so I really want to be sure they're worth it.
Thanks.
They’re well worth it, I went for they’re h7 bulbs too, they’re really bright .

They’re well worth it, I went for they’re h7 bulbs too, they’re really bright .
They’re still on my options list - although I’m hoping the LED bulbs I fitted today will be all I need. I’ll know that after it gets dark tonight. :)

Hi @T4goneby - Are your LED headlights working ok - including hi beams on long drives?
I got the same bulbs from xenons online and used the ”loom” to switch the wires so they seemed to work and gave no errors.
It’s only this week that we finally drove more than a km on high beam and after about 15km my T6.1 van started saying to check the main beam bulbs! I’ve used OBDeleven to change the bulb type to every LED option I can find but they still trip the error - not immediately - just after 5-10 minutes! Bloody annoying.
I need to work out if the dodgy loom is not tight, or if I can find other bulbs, but H15 LED bulbs are very rare in Aus.
I’d love to hear if someone has had this problem and worked out a reliable fix.

Hi @T4goneby - Are your LED headlights working ok - including hi beams on long drives?
I got the same bulbs from xenons online and used the ”loom” to switch the wires so they seemed to work and gave no errors.
It’s only this week that we finally drove more than a km on high beam and after about 15km my T6.1 van started saying to check the main beam bulbs! I’ve used OBDeleven to change the bulb type to every LED option I can find but they still trip the error - not immediately - just after 5-10 minutes! Bloody annoying.
I need to work out if the dodgy loom is not tight, or if I can find other bulbs, but H15 LED bulbs are very rare in Aus.
I’d love to hear if someone has had this problem and worked out a reliable fix.

Yeh fortunately mine have been ok! Must be frustrating.

I think the only thing I may have done differently, unless you did the same, was making sure all the connections between the loom and the existing wiring, and the connectors for the bulbs, were taped and wrapped. It all felt like there was potential for them to vibrate loose when I was installing it, so gave it a good amount of electrical tape and wrapped all the bare connections etc.

They’ve been ok since, I’ve done a decent amount of driving with full beam on, currently have the DRL’s switched off, but had no issues.

I think at some stage I will cave and get some alternative headlight units with LEDs, but still not convinced on the look of either smoke or chrome Units from THQ and the OE are just too much at the minute.

Hope you get it sorted soon

Yeh fortunately mine have been ok! Must be frustrating.

I think the only thing I may have done differently, unless you did the same, was making sure all the connections between the loom and the existing wiring, and the connectors for the bulbs, were taped and wrapped. It all felt like there was potential for them to vibrate loose when I was installing it, so gave it a good amount of electrical tape and wrapped all the bare connections etc.

They’ve been ok since, I’ve done a decent amount of driving with full beam on, currently have the DRL’s switched off, but had no issues.

I think at some stage I will cave and get some alternative headlight units with LEDs, but still not convinced on the look of either smoke or chrome Units from THQ and the OE are just too much at the minute.

Hope you get it sorted soon
Frustrating is right!
I also found the “loom” was really dodgy and looked likely to come loose - so yes, I squashed the terminals to make them tighter and taped them up. I’m going to have a look and see if they look ok now. I really would like to find bulbs that worked without dodgy looms to swap the pins!
Did you have to reprogram the bulb types in OBD? I haven’t seen you mention that - whereas I did have to change them to LED so the DRLs and Low Beams stopped triggering alerts and they have been fine ever since.
This would be so much easier if VW documented what is required instead of trying to hide it and imply it can’t be done. GRRRR.

In an effort to help make sense of this LED bulb problem, I'm linking to my post on the other thread
So I have 1 pair of LED bulbs that work really well but trigger errors in our van warning system, and I have one pair that have questionable bulb design and light output pattern, but they don't upset our van!
I wonder if the first pair has a minor fault that triggers the error? Can I be bothered trying another pair? sigh.
As for XenonsOnline, who sold the first pair, they have ignored my repeated emails asking for help and don't answer the phone when I go to the trouble of calling them during their supposed office hours. Not happy.

Yeh very similar feedback to me on Xenonsonline. I’d avoid. I’ve found other sellers have the same kits and bulbs for a fair bit less, have a few other bulbs to install over the coming weeks so will update this with a bit more info when I have done.

Yeh very similar feedback to me on Xenonsonline. I’d avoid. I’ve found other sellers have the same kits and bulbs for a fair bit less, have a few other bulbs to install over the coming weeks so will update this with a bit more info when I have done.
What seller do you recommend, in case I decide to try a 3rd bulb type. Have you tried different H15 bulbs?
The fact that you don't get any faults is both annoying to me and intriguing - and suggests I got a dodgy bulb. :-(
The fact that @AAlstin didn’t even need to rewire the bulb polarity on his is even more frustrating and confusing - but I can’t get Xenons to talk to me and AAlstin seems to have left the party too. So I’m playing blind-folded.

No the xenononline bulbs were the first I’d used and despite the initial issues and complete lack of customer service. Have worked fine since. Luckily the bulbs he sells are generic and available elsewhere which is what I’ve just discovered with the H7 LED I’d bought to try.

I managed to drop one of the collars that fit the bulb into the housing down inside the engine bay, and even dropping the tray off the bottom I was unable to find it.

Persisted with asking to pay for a replacement from xenononline for ages but lack of response and any progress after the initial I’ll see what I can find, left me with a pair of bulbs I couldn’t use.

Managed to find the exact same kit from HID’s direct or something like that and they were about £20 less so just bought another set.

I’m keen to try them as a) the standard h7 lights even with the best halogen bulbs I can find, aren’t great b) the after market options look just that and I’m not sold on them even with the benefits they bring.

I’ll see how these go when I fit them (going to drop the bumper and remove headlights to avoid what happened last time) and take it from there. Well aware they aren’t MOT compliant but visibility for me is more important providing the light pattern is not too far from standard and doesn’t dazzle other cars.

Hope you manage to get somewhere with yours eventually!

The LED H7 are definitely worth doing. As I said previously, I had to change the bulb option with OBD but the low beam have worked without issue and they give a really good light output IMHO.
Your success with those H15s that give errors in my van does encourage me to try another pair if I can't get this week's 2nd attempt to give a better output. The beam just seems too wide - too much wasted up in the trees, so it's not as bright down the road.
I managed to swap the H7 without removing anything. I guess I should be pleased by that minor victory.

Dammit, I can't find anything to confirm which screws adjust the alignment of the halogen headlights!
All the posts I've found are for LED or low beam lights!
I want to lower the high beam / DRL beams slightly.
Which are the alignment screws? I presume there are separate screws for each beam - high and low beams.

I just bought a pair of H15 from the brand D-Lumia from Amazon which said canbus error free. This was my third set of trying as none of them worked but i could all send them back from the cheapest set to a pair of €170,- none of them worked. Since i could not return this Amazon ones i started fooling around as in the car they only came up as error and nothing was working, so i wondered since it’s an LED which is a diode i tool the plug out of the headlight measured which pin was what and found out you need to swap the 2 outside cabels on the connector and then they work fine with no errors. I was almost giving up and looking into ordering original headlight units so this saved me about 1500 now. Basically if you want to check before f***ing around with the cables just bend the middle pin on your LED light a little backwards so it comes closer to the backside pin turn your lights on and plug the bulb in the connector basically you put your LED in backwards on the plug if the light works just open the connector swap the 2 outside wires from place bend the pin on your LED back to original and tadaaaa ot works

I just bought a pair of H15 from the brand D-Lumia from Amazon which said canbus error free. This was my third set of trying as none of them worked but i could all send them back from the cheapest set to a pair of €170,- none of them worked. Since i could not return this Amazon ones i started fooling around as in the car they only came up as error and nothing was working, so i wondered since it’s an LED which is a diode i tool the plug out of the headlight measured which pin was what and found out you need to swap the 2 outside cabels on the connector and then they work fine with no errors. I was almost giving up and looking into ordering original headlight units so this saved me about 1500 now. Basically if you want to check before f***ing around with the cables just bend the middle pin on your LED light a little backwards so it comes closer to the backside pin turn your lights on and plug the bulb in the connector basically you put your LED in backwards on the plug if the light works just open the connector swap the 2 outside wires from place bend the pin on your LED back to original and tadaaaa ot works
Yep - the earth and high beam pins are reversed in the T6.1 compared to a standard H15 bulb spec. That’s ok for a halogen bulb but not for LEDs, as you’ve said. So it’s possible that any of your other LED bulbs would have worked ok if you’d reversed the wires, or they might still have given errors.
This is why Xenons in the UK sell the crappy “loom” for $8 with no explanation of what to do with it. It’s a dodgy solution to avoid changing the original factory plug wiring.
I still had bulb errors on our van when I drove it until I used OBD to change the bulb types and even then I got errors on the bulbs I got from Xenons - but only after about 15mins, so I think they were overheating but I’ve never been able to solve that - I just bought yet another bulb type.

Genius tip this: was tearing my head out with nothing lighting up and only error messages!
Swapped the pins on the connector and now they work a treat (just have to break out VAG-COM now to try and turn off warning to check?)

Back