T6.1 factory-fit aux battery wiring

Rakesh

VIP Member
Hi everyone,
I have myself a VW T6.1 DSG 4 Motion which I bought as an Accident repair vehicle.
I've had all the repairs done and the van looks amazing.....Pictures attached.
I would like to get in touch with the previous owner but the logbook was unfortunately destroyed.
All I know is that the previous owner was "Simon" on the radio app thingy.

I have a few faults on the dash that need clearing, and thanks to Member "Pauly" for the insight on using my VCDS HEX CAN, I'm going to have a go at removing them.
When I did the initial auto scan using VCDS, I got a message saying that I need to upgrade my VCDS Interface to the V2 to be able to use the functionality of VCDS.
This Interface will be up for sale as I was informed by Pauly that it's an unlimited VIN interface.
I will then be buying the HEX V2 for both my vehicles.

So now, hers my question!
The vehicle has a Factory 2nd battery under the passenger seat that was disconnected........I have attached pictures and highlighted the two cables that I found disconnected, but I'm puzzled as to how they should be connected. the battery + terminal has a cover which won't close if I connect the wire marked 2 and cable marked 1 just seems to be a loop.
I found the two 10mm nuts lying beside the battery so tried to connect them....... but as you can see, they dont seem to make any sense.
I'm guessing there was only connection to the terminal that I've marked 1 and no connection to the terminal marked 2
wire 1 was probably connected to some other device and left connected to the terminal at one end and removed from the external device.
the Van does have a detachable tow bar so I presume the 2nd battery has something to do with it.

There is also a small plug that has a wire previously soldered to it, but I cant find where this plug fits or what it's for.
I'm hoping someone can shed some light.

I also noticed the part number on the wiring harness on the second picture and a google search came back with "vw transporter t6.1 heater wiring harness 7la971478n additional heater wiring harness"
I haven't seen an additional heater on the van anywhere.

IMG_3340.JPG

IMG_3341.JPG
I

40139211_Image_3.jpg

40139211_Image_2.jpg

DFD3DD40-7CCC-40D3-8A7C-7E34C14A26C1.jpeg

IMG_3337.jpg

Last edited:
I would think that the loop is just for safety rather than just having a bare end floating around unconnected, it being ready for connection to the consumer of the power from the battery.
Following on from that No.2 could be located where the looped No.1 ? I can't see the fastenings for the fuses to see if that is possible.
Doubtlessly more thoughts will come as the forum digests this!

I would think that the loop is just for safety rather than just having a bare end floating around unconnected, it being ready for connection to the consumer of the power from the battery.
Following on from that No.2 could be located where the looped No.1 ? I can't see the fastenings for the fuses to see if that is possible.
Doubtlessly more thoughts will come as the forum digests this!
Hi Odiebut Goodie,
My thoughts exactly.......... No 2 more than likely is supposed to be on terminal 1 but I feel that wire 1 is a bit of a mystery.
one end of wire 1 is crimped and heat shrinked but other end is bare terminal.

A few bits explained here:
Couldn't find yet the second battery wiring diagram in downloads. Perhaps @Pauly can help (78, 79)
Meanwhile, could you please check configuration sticker under dash - look for codes 8FB, 8FE or 8FL (second battery options).

Couldn't find yet the second battery wiring diagram in downloads. Perhaps @Pauly can help (78, 79)
Meanwhile, could you please check configuration sticker under dash - look for codes 8FB, 8FE or 8FL (second battery options).
I shall do that this morning

When I get time I will check the wiring diagrams and link them here

Reactions: mmi
Does the vehicle have a factory fit heater ?
Check the driver door for heater stickers

there is only one sticker that I can see under the dash is next to the ODB port......... is that the one?
it doesn't have anything that begins with 8F**

Reactions: mmi
there is only one sticker that I can see under the dash next to the ODB port......... is that the one?
it doesnt
Does the vehicle have a factory fit heater ?
Check the driver door for heater stickers
Hi,
No heater fitted to the van as far as I can see.
If there was one fitted, I would imagine it was removed as were all the door cards in the back of the van.
The night heater loom under the passenger seat suggests it was probably prepared for one, or it was fitted then removed by someone.
however, I don't see any signs of one being fitted

Got it will do some digging later, may need to be patient and have a busy weekend

You are looking at the wrong sticker, its a larger one with loads of codes and numbers on it including your vin

Nevermind i have looked at your build sheet (have sent you a copy) and can confirm it is listed as having factory fit 2nd battery without aux heater

8FB 2nd battery
9M0 Without auxiliary heater/parking heater

Looking at some wiring diagrams now

There are pictures of it around
I think @Loz may be able to shed some light as he has replaced his relay with a dc dc charger so may know location, I know it’s a standard plug-in relay but can’t remember designation

It looks like it's missing from your photo, it should be in the red square on a 6.1.
1630912946762.png

This is one from a 6.1 California
1630913139611.png

It looks like it's missing from your photo, it should be in the red square on a 6.1.
View attachment 129351

This is one from a 6.1 California
View attachment 129353
Hi,
That is Extremely helpful..... I've now been on a parts website Genuine Volkswagen parts, accessories and LifeStyle items | VW spare parts and got the part number for it.
makes sense now with the wiring with the help of the second battery wiring diagram fro Pauly.
Looks like a common part for the Vw Touareg.
they are on eBay for around £30
Thank you again for your help on that!

contact close relay

battery isolator.
2D0 951 253 B

Back