T6.1 Engine braking non existent

T6.1AJ

We have just picked up a T30 - 6.1 DSG as brand new from a professional camper van converters. When driving there seems to be virtually no engine braking and it's worse when going downhill, almost like knocking a manual into neutral. It means using the brakes constantly - not my style of driving and is most unpleasant and potentially dangerous to drive. I could imagine on icy roads this would be much worse. For a brand new vehicle costing as much as a deposit on a house, surely this cannot be correct. I contacted the VW commercial garage who told me I would have to pay for a diagnostic check up (probably about £200). Has anybody else experienced this on the new 6.1 and if so, perhaps VW should be made to recall the new vehicles to put this right

The coasting function is diabolical. Mine is turned off in the MFD (T6). The van will run away down an incline then be in completely the wrong gear to accelerate up the next hill. Tapping the brake should put it back in gear and give you *some* engine braking.

Thanks for the replies - I have now looked at the handbook again and found some reference to the coast function. Seems to me it will require a new driving style totally unexpected with an auto box and requires more driver attention than driving a predictable manual. I did of course press the brake pedal on downhill stretches but with little noticeable effect on braking.

I thought the 6.1 did away with coasting function ?
or was it just the menu option ?

I contacted the VW commercial garage who told me I would have to pay for a diagnostic check up (probably about £200).
Because of course it'd be impossible for them to get a technician to go out for a drive in your van and find a hill to descend, to offer an experienced opinion, that'd be much less profitable. ;)

Reactions: DXX
So have you turned the coast option off?
Not yet, spent an hour in the van with the owners manual. Only option in there is to press the brake pedal every time. Been through the menus to find an option in settings but so far unable to switch off :(

@Pauly Could be right then, no longer something optional on a 6.1? My T6 is a TSI so don't get the coasting function anyway. You could consider a TVS remap this has imbued my DSG box with a much more logical approach to changes.

For me it was a bit disconcerting at first but I soon got used to it.

On the T6 all you do is give the brake a very light tap and it will pop it back into gear. Or as above use the gearbox in manual mode.

I have noticed that the engine braking on the Cali isn't a particularly strong anyway.

I was thrown by the coasting when I picked my van up but after a couple of hundred miles I was used to it and didn't give it any more thought. You soon adapt.

I was thrown by the coasting when I picked my van up but after a couple of hundred miles I was used to it and didn't give it any more thought. You soon adapt.
Agreed, it nearly caught me out the first time I drove it, "smart" motorway, came to 50mph section lifted off expecting some engine braking never happened. Soon got used to it thought. Now I actually miss it on this van as its been removed now by VW.

Interestingly in the owners manual on nearly every page is a "warning of serious injury and danger to life" if you do or do not do this. When I found the section referencing coasting, it only states:
"Remove your foot from accelerator pedal. The engine is disengaged and runs in coasting mode. The vehicle rolls without the braking effect of the engine"
No warnings of what happens when you approach a tight corner or down hill that total loss of control is possible and admittedly, I did not initially notice this on reading through the 350 page manual on collection.
We nearly went off the road on the first trip out when caught out on a country road, lifting off for a tight bend and expecting the vehicle to slow down.
I always thought coasting (on a manual) was a very dangerous practice!

Interestingly in the owners manual on nearly every page is a "warning of serious injury and danger to life" if you do or do not do this. When I found the section referencing coasting, it only states:
"Remove your foot from accelerator pedal. The engine is disengaged and runs in coasting mode. The vehicle rolls without the braking effect of the engine"
No warnings of what happens when you approach a tight corner or down hill that total loss of control is possible and admittedly, I did not initially notice this on reading through the 350 page manual on collection.
We nearly went off the road on the first trip out when caught out on a country road, lifting off for a tight bend and expecting the vehicle to slow down.
I always thought coasting (on a manual) was a very dangerous practice!
I always thought that coasting was in fact illegal. Im sure it was when I took my test. Need to read up on that. Maybe thats why its been removed from newer vehicles.

Edit: Just looked it up. Its not illegal, but if involved in an accident would be prosecuted for not being in full control of vehicle. Im not sure how it would be proved though.

I always thought that coasting was in fact illegal. Im sure it was when I took my test. Need to read up on that. Maybe thats why its been removed from newer vehicles.

Edit: Just looked it up. Its not illegal, but if involved in an accident would be prosecuted for not being in full control of vehicle. Im not sure how it would be proved though.

yeah, definitely remember being told that...

Yes you are right I also had a look. Interesting it as been removed on new vehicles -mine has just come out of the factory and registered Jan 2021so must have just missed the update. If it's a software fixable I will try the main dealer to see if can get under warranty. It's awful!!

You are right, the Highway Code states:
Rule 122
Coasting. This term describes a vehicle travelling in neutral or with the clutch pressed down. It can reduce driver control because
  • engine braking is eliminated
  • vehicle speed downhill will increase quickly
  • increased use of the footbrake can reduce its effectiveness
  • steering response will be affected, particularly on bends and corners
  • it may be more difficult to select the appropriate gear when needed.
My VW must have just missed the update, it came out of the factory to arrive here in December and registered in January this year. :( I will contact the main dealer to see if a software update is available.

Yes you are right I also had a look. Interesting it as been removed on new vehicles -mine has just come out of the factory and registered Jan 2021so must have just missed the update. If it's a software fixable I will try the main dealer to see if can get under warranty. It's awful!!

You are right, the Highway Code states:
Rule 122
Coasting. This term describes a vehicle travelling in neutral or with the clutch pressed down. It can reduce driver control because
  • engine braking is eliminated
  • vehicle speed downhill will increase quickly
  • increased use of the footbrake can reduce its effectiveness
  • steering response will be affected, particularly on bends and corners
  • it may be more difficult to select the appropriate gear when needed.
My VW must have just missed the update, it came out of the factory to arrive here in December and registered in January this year. :( I will contact the main dealer to see if a software update is available.
If your van does have coasting then it should have the option in the mfd to switch it off. (my T6 had the option to switch it on/off)

Back