T6.1 Connecting Apple CarPlay

Can any body help that’s understands apple connect
we have a new vwt6.1 we are trying to connect CarPlay we can’t get past usb connection it won’t allow phone to connect we have tried everything

You need to use a genuine cable. The connection is fussy with 3rd party cables.

Is CarPlay activated on your van?

I used one of these (whilst denying I ordered a blue cable just because it was pretty and matched the van!)
Blue iPhone Charger Cable

iPhone and van linked instantly. Of course, then you've got the issue of where do you put the phone whilst driving, because it seems the CarPlay only works when tethered and there's nowhere on my dash (T6.1) to put it securely without buying another plastic holder . . .

I could only get carplay to work reliably with a genuine apple lead. I’ve run the cable into the glove box to get the phone out of sight. I’ll post a pic later.

Yes we are using a apple cable not sure if CarPlay is activated the van is new 100miles it has been to the converter and he did disconnect the battery whilst working on it how do you activate CarPlay
thought I’d would happen automatically sorry not very technical

Yes we are using a apple cable not sure if CarPlay is activated the van is new 100miles it has been to the converter and he did disconnect the battery whilst working on it how do you activate CarPlay
Activiation is usually paid for, it doesnt have to be done by VW, lots of places do it for about £80 and it can be done remotely. mine specifically said it required activiation when on the carplay screen on my T6.

Go to the menu and scroll to App-Connect. Then you should be greeted with a page that asks you to connect your phone.

Just to confirm, you’re plugging the iPhone lead into the USB port and not a charger plugged into a 12v socket (yes, really had this happen lol)

As far as I know all T6.1s have CarPlay as standard
It’s only T6s where it was optional/needed activation

CarPlay works way better over WiFi, and USB connections are now deprecated by Apple, which means all new CarPlay features will only be supported by Apple on the WiFi interface, not the USB one. This may well be a problem depending on the version of your Apple device and the version of your vehicle HU. .... the newer it is the more likely it is that WiFi will provide a far better experience.

I have a 22MY Ocean and connect CarPlay wirelessly to the Access Point provided by the Discover Media head unit. See below.

20221014_131043.jpg

USB is a dreadful data interface for use in cars. The reason is that normally a USB connector is soldered directly to a circuit board in a PC or Laptop and it is a matter of millimetres from the USB connector to the USB Host/Hub hardware in the PC/Laptop. Then the USB device either plugs directly into the USB socket or it has a single cable, usually no longer than about a meter (dependent on required bandwidth).

This is not the case in a vehicle. There is an extension cable in the vehicle wiring harness from the host device (the head-unit) to the USB connector in the car. Then there is another cable between the vehicle USB connector and the mobile device.

For the high frequency communication required to get the video data from the iPhone to the Head unit this is a very sub-optimal solution, to put two cables together, where the customer chooses one cable, and the vehicle manufacturer chooses the other - you end up with impedance mis-matches and multiple connections in this setup which the USB protocol works round with re-try mechanisms. This slows the throughput of data and can cause the USB connection to reset - hence the advice to use a high quality cable, usually from the auto manufacturer.

New CarPlay features, particularly the support of multiple screens (Main display, Instrument cluster and head-up if fitted), require data throughput that this USB setup simply can't provide reliably, hence the move to wireless.

Part of my job was the introduction of USB to vehicles and when you put the USB signal up on an oscilloscope it is very evident that the communication can be severely disrupted by the cable, device connector condition, the quality of the connectors, and the quality of the attachment of the cable to its connectors.

In short, USB is yesterday for in-vehicle connection to smart-phones.

PS: I plug my phone into the charging socket on the end of the kitchen block and put the phone in a pocket on the back of the seat - run everything wirelessly on both my Android(Samsung) and iPhone.

CarPlay works way better over WiFi, and USB connections are now deprecated by Apple, which means all new CarPlay features will only be supported by Apple on the WiFi interface, not the USB one. This may well be a problem depending on the version of your Apple device and the version of your vehicle HU. .... the newer it is the more likely it is that WiFi will provide a far better experience.

I have a 22MY Ocean and connect CarPlay wirelessly to the Access Point provided by the Discover Media head unit. See below.

View attachment 175987

USB is a dreadful data interface for use in cars. The reason is that normally a USB connector is soldered directly to a circuit board in a PC or Laptop and it is a matter of millimetres from the USB connector to the USB Host/Hub hardware in the PC/Laptop. Then the USB device either plugs directly into the USB socket or it has a single cable, usually no longer than about a meter (dependent on required bandwidth).

This is not the case in a vehicle. There is an extension cable in the vehicle wiring harness from the host device (the head-unit) to the USB connector in the car. Then there is another cable between the vehicle USB connector and the mobile device.

For the high frequency communication required to get the video data from the iPhone to the Head unit this is a very sub-optimal solution, to put two cables together, where the customer chooses one cable, and the vehicle manufacturer chooses the other - you end up with impedance mis-matches and multiple connections in this setup which the USB protocol works round with re-try mechanisms. This slows the throughput of data and can cause the USB connection to reset - hence the advice to use a high quality cable, usually from the auto manufacturer.

New CarPlay features, particularly the support of multiple screens (Main display, Instrument cluster and head-up if fitted), require data throughput that this USB setup simply can't provide reliably, hence the move to wireless.

Part of my job was the introduction of USB to vehicles and when you put the USB signal up on an oscilloscope it is very evident that the communication can be severely disrupted by the cable, device connector condition, the quality of the connectors, and the quality of the attachment of the cable to its connectors.

In short, USB is yesterday for in-vehicle connection to smart-phones.

PS: I plug my phone into the charging socket on the end of the kitchen block and put the phone in a pocket on the back of the seat - run everything wirelessly on both my Android(Samsung) and iPhone.
The head unit in my T6.1 will only work if the phone is plugged into usb. Are you saying im losing functionality?

The head unit in my T6.1 will only work if the phone is plugged into usb. Are you saying im losing functionality?
Depends which HU you have ... if it supports wireless CarPlay (which will mean turning the WiFi in the HU settings on) you can connect multiple devices over Wireless and switch between them on the screen - if this function is of use to you. With USB you can only connect one device at a time - Apple USB requirements are that the Apple device be the host of the USB bus it is connected to, there can only be one host on a USB bus.

Apple have also made transfer of the vehicle GPS and dead-reckoning data optional on USB CarPlay but mandatory on Wireless connections, indicating a preferred shift towards wireless. The new stuff, which was made public around 2019 includes things like support for multiple displays, odd shaped displays with "safe" areas, basically stuff that improves the integration of CarPlay with the vehicle - how much VW have implemented on their devices I can't say.

The vehicle manufacturers have to adhere to these requirements in order to get Apple CarPlay certification, so will tend to follow the direction both Apple and Google are taking with CarPlay and Android Auto ... both are going wireless.

Android Auto and Carplay function wirelessly in parallel and without issues on my 22MY Ocean.

Depends which HU you have ... if it supports wireless CarPlay (which will mean turning the WiFi in the HU settings on) you can connect multiple devices over Wireless and switch between them on the screen - if this function is of use to you. With USB you can only connect one device at a time - Apple USB requirements are that the Apple device be the host of the USB bus it is connected to, there can only be one host on a USB bus.

Apple have also made transfer of the vehicle GPS and dead-reckoning data optional on USB CarPlay but mandatory on Wireless connections, indicating a preferred shift towards wireless. The new stuff, which was made public around 2019 includes things like support for multiple displays, odd shaped displays with "safe" areas, basically stuff that improves the integration of CarPlay with the vehicle - how much VW have implemented on their devices I can't say.

The vehicle manufacturers have to adhere to these requirements in order to get Apple CarPlay certification, so will tend to follow the direction both Apple and Google are taking with CarPlay and Android Auto ... both are going wireless.

Android Auto and Carplay function wirelessly in parallel and without issues on my 22MY Ocean.
Thanks for the info. I have the basic HU. Bad advice from the salesman i guess. :/

@Oceanis Very interesting. I’m guessing that using a wireless carplay dongle like carlinkit won’t help as they still plug into the usb?

Its headunit based, standard only has wired connection and the upgraded sat nav discover media model has wireless carplay but im not sure there are any feature differences other than the extra features the upgraded headunit offers (and multiple phone connection ?)

As far as I know all T6.1s have CarPlay as standard
It’s only T6s where it was optional/needed activation

Yes and no. The very first T6.1 weren't all standard, the T6 activation document covers the 2020 T6.1 too.

My T6 will only operate Apple car play when plugged into the usb adjacent to the radio - and not if it’s plugged into the glove pocket socket

Last edited:
My 6.1 worked using a usb-c cable. And I’ve just plugged in a carlinkit module which connects phone to Apple CarPlay wireless. Really impressed and it’s quite small. Cost £56, so not too bad. I’ve got the small screen with out Nav. But now I’ve got google maps via CarPlay and it auto connects to my phone.

Back